Start by marking “Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner to Master” as Want to Read:
Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner to Master

Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner to Master

For over 100 years, the world's leading chess players and teachers have told their students to study the endgame. This book teaches the students what they need to know at their current rating level, and builds on that knowledge for each subsequent phase of the player's development.
Published November 1st 2006 by Siles Press

To ask other readers questions about Silman's Complete Endgame Course, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silman's Complete Endgame Course

Start your review of Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner to Master
Martian
May 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you are a newbie at chess, or if you are a master at it, this is the book you'll want to see. I learned a lot of important things in this book.
Micmoc
Jun 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
THE real endgame book. Period. I love it although there are a few typos in the first edition.
Robert
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chess
I agree with almost everything said in the previous review except: "...is the one and only endgame book you'll need as you move up the ladder from beginner to strong tournament player and finally to master."
Unfortunately, Silman didn't explained how to checkmate with the bishop+knight. Why? Let me quote him:
"I heretically decided not to include Bishop and Knight vs. Lone King because it's far from easy to master, and it occurs very rarely in over-the -board play. In fact, I only got it once in
Andrew
Nov 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess
This book is great because it tells reader what to expect as far as end-game ability at various ratings.

My confidence has increased when playing endgames because of the time and effort I put in to reading this book.
Nick
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Probably the only chess endgame book I'll ever need.

Instructive for people of different ratings.
Veer Gandhi
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's good to use as a starting point to study endgames as it covers the most raw/basic themes like the Lucena position, the Vancura position, pawn breakthroughs, quuen and pawn endgames, Knight and pawn endgames, double bishop mate and a lot more!

It's not a hard read and even though I'm rated about 1350 I knew and could understand most of the endgames from the "Class A" section.

If you're looking for more strategic endgame books that deal with evaluating complex positions and converting them, th
Doug
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Silman’s books are the best chess education books out there! I especially liked how he laid this one out!He presented Chess endgames you should know based on what Chess class or rank you are or aspire to be. Great idea! Enjoyed working through the various tests at the end of each section too! Great stuff! Great author!😎
Tyler
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelved until my daily chess rating improves (the chapters are gated by rating), but Silman is great. Likely the only endgame book a club player would ever need.

The Amateur's Mind arrives on Monday, and I'm quite excited for it.
Meiyazhagan Meiyazhagan
Nice book
Pandeeswaran Bhoopathy
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Must read book for any tournament player.
Sart
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best chess endgame book for beginners!
Steve
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I would read How To Reassess Your Chess first, cover to cover, work though every position (it'll definitely take a couple months) but then move to this.

After blowing EASY wins with shocking, out-of-nowhere, WTF stalemates, a single pass through the early chapters of this book eliminated most of my endgame problems and fears, markedly increasing my confidence when games headed clearly for an endgame.

The book is set up so the earlier chapters are intended for weaker players, gradually increasing t
Jamieson
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Silman’s Complete Endgame Course

Silman’s Complete endgame course is a great book for going from beginner to advanced learning. It ranges from unrated to 2399 rating. It is complete with good tips, fun puzzles, and incredible solutions. This books vast puzzles and strategies make it all worth while.
This book is full of intriguing strategies that any reader could follow and use fairly simply and yet have it make a lasting impact. The puzzles vary in names from: “rook and king endgames” to “fox in
Gary Patella
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess
As an opening junkie, I have always avoided studying the endgame. I've tried with other endgame books in the past, but the information was just not presented well in most of them.

Finally, after sitting on my shelf unopened for a few years, I started going through this book from beginning to end. It is truly an excellent format. It is divided by rating, but it is imperative that you read ALL prior sections (even the patzer rating sections). You build on previous knowledge, and there are rules and
Hao Duong
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good book to read was fun reading it when it feels like the author is trying to connect with you while you are reading the book. shows many explanations for different situations in chess most the endgame and how to mate in tight spaces. I recommend this book for starters who know the basics of chess but want to improve in the game its not another boring book to read but for enjoyment and entertainment.
fourtriplezed
Oct 11, 2016 added it
Shelves: chess
I am crap at chess. I spent a lot of money on books that I thought would at least make me competitive. Nothing worked. I think these chess books will all sit in a box gathering dust and one day I might get the urge to rejoin the local club and get butchered by 12 year olds so then may have a further look. (Generic review for all half finished chess books I will never finish)

FWIW I recall this one was of some use.
FranklinTV
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gaming
Flick thru quickly confirms that this should be a good book. My chess playing never got sufficiently serious, but if it ever does, Im sure I will refer to this.
mathias tesar
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A classic book that every chess student should own
Parwiz Ahmadi
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One stop source for comprehensible endgames, good for the candidate master and below
Seth
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chess, non-fic
I think this is an important book for an amateur chess player to have and to review. It's well organized into easily digestible bits according to your rating.
Rinor Sherifi
Donald
rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2015

• Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition
  • Endgame: Bobby Fischer's Remarkable Rise and Fall—From America's Brightest Prodigy to the Edge of Madness
  • My 60 Memorable Games
  • The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal
  • Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess
  • Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How the Soviets Lost the Most Extraordinary Chess Match of All Time
  • Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual
  • 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations
  • My System
  • Winning Chess Tactics, revised
  • Understanding Chess Move by Move
  • The Immortal Game: A History of Chess, or How 32 Carved Pieces on a Board Illuminated Our Understanding of War, Art, Science and the Human Brain
  • The Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played
  • Modern Chess Openings (McKay Chess Library)
  • Zurich International Chess Tournament, 1953
  • Garry Kasparov on My Great Predecessors,  Part 1
  • Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations and Games
  • iWoz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon: How I Invented the Personal Computer, Co-Founded Apple, and Had Fun Doing It