Start by marking “Tested Advertising Methods” as Want to Read:
Tested Advertising Methods

Tested Advertising Methods

The fifth edition of this work on how to create successful advertising features new coverage on small businesses with limited revenues, non-profit advertising, as well as techniques of headlines, illustrations and layouts. There is also new information useful to smaller businesses.
Paperback, Fifth Edition, 269 pages
Published June 25th 1998 by Prentice Hall (first published June 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Tested Advertising Methods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tested Advertising Methods

Max Peters
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To think that this was written in the 60's is just phenomenal.

I wonder where this book was when I went to ad school.

There, they don't teach us what really works.

But in this book, you'll see the ideas behind one of the greatest ad man in history.

John Caples shows you 31 ways to write headlines, 3 classes of succesful headlines, 17 ways to test your ads, the 4 best appeals you ad should have, and much much more.

If you have a business or you work with marketing, just go read this book.
Sjur Reinsnos
Jan 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a book that you really have to read a few times to get it into your head, because there are so much info, so many details that can be hard to grasp, so i will have to read it more times.

The book has a lot of information about headlines and how to use head lines in advertising and also how headlines have been used before by the masters of advertising.

There are also written about the great importance of testing your ads, and how important it is to put enthusiasm into your marketing efforts
Lynne Strang
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book packed with hands-on, practical information. Writers of all genres can benefit from John Caples' advice and strategies for writing headlines and finding the right appeal. I plan to re-read Tested Advertising Methods a few times to absorb all of its lessons.
Don Sevcik
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Many have said it take 4-5 reads at a minimum to begin to absorb what is being said here. I just completed my first, and it's always fun to get inside the mind of a genius.

Timeless advice on advertising, but crucial for copywriters and anybody trying to move product. He stresses the technical testing side as much as he does the principles and fundamentals. So you get a balanced view on both sides, and how they relate.

I can't wait to read this a few more times. In order to grow, you must study an
Joe Richardson
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I were in sales this book would be a constant reference. Filled with examples of what works and what doesn't. Written at a level of precision and with an eye for subtlety that outdoes any similar ad book. An essential companion to Scientific Advertising and the writings of David Ogilvy
Miguel Braga
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I don't recommend this version. I recommend the previous one.
Luka
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and informative book on copywriting.
Ewk_rd1
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gold for anyone interested in peeking inside our brains as to why we do what we do. A must for marketers and copywriters.
Sal
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read the 4th edition!
Jan Brinkmann
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
very interesting insights. it is decades old, and yet in so many ways highly applicable
Omar Halabieh
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Below are excerpts from the book that summarize the key points presented by the authors:

1) "Caples' Three-Step Approach To Creativity: 1) Capture the prospect's attention. Nothing happens unless something in your mailing, or your commercial makes the prospect stop long enough to pay attention to what you say next. 2) Maintain the prospect's interest. Keep the ad, mailing, or commercial focused on the prospect, on what he or she will get out of using your product or service. 3) Move the prospect
Олександр Бежан
A must-read classics.
Yurskee
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that you won't put down. You need to come back again and again. With a pen and paper. And take what you read and copy and create your own examples. A must-have.
Joshua
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the classics of direct response advertising for a reason: if you're interested in marketing, you should read this. It teaches you everything you need to know about each of the pieces of an ad as well as how to tweak those ads for maximum benefit. And then, at the end, it teaches you how to test and key your ads in a much more simplified version--but still massively effective--than a book like Scientific Advertising. Plus, the prose is simple and straightforward--so, it's a very qu ...more
Aaron
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Writers, Marketers, Business Professionals
MUST READ for anyone doing ad copywriting.

This book is a timeless classic by a true professional and has greatly enhanced my writing skill. I now am able to write a message that is concise, riveting, and interesting.

If you want to be an effective writer and have a blast doing it, learn these skills. Your message will be heard by many more people!

~Aaron Mangal
Chief Love Generation Officer
Tracy
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Modern guides to advertising copywriting tend to be prettied-up regurgitations of this no-nonsense masterpiece. And many of those still miss Caples' core message:

"There is only one justification for advertising: Sales! Sales! Sales!"

Anyone writing ads needs to absorb this book. Advertising mediums may change, but Caples' observations about effective messages are evergreen.
PS Chua
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-read
"This book has given you the findings of years of experience and the results of millions of dollars spent in discovering answers to these questions."
If there is a definitive book on how to write an advertisement copy, this is the book. It is even applicable to writing a single headline for an online article or blog. A definite must read for every advertising professional.
Art Flores
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a classic for people who want to understand advertising and what is required to advertise in any medium. Even thought this book was written a long time ago the laws are immutable. It gives you the basic foundation of what is required for successful advertising and metrics required to test and re-test your advertising for maximum effect.
Shawn Camp
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012, my-library
Didnt think that a book on proven advertising methods would have some valuable ideas for me. I do a lot of direct mail and needed some ideas on how to differentiate my methods over direct competitors. This book actually had some great ideas that I could use and the others regarding testing ads and writing more effective ads were noted and may be useful some time in my career.
Jeremy
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, psychology
Another classic advertising & marketing book by someone who has spent serious time in the trenches and knows the business. There are some great ideas any small business owner or marketer can incorporate.
David Ferrers
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: influences, how-to
When I worked in the advertising industry this was one of my bibles. A source of wisdom, ideas and inspiration - all based on the solid foundation of years of practical experience, testing, research and feedback.
Sean Bryan
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A book on copywriting and obtaining results that is as relevant as ever.
Angela
Aug 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: business owners, self-publishing authors
Concise how-to, logical reasoning why to do it, and plenty of examples on how it's done.
Terry
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great for understanding copy writing. Interesting reading about advertising. I have read it three times over my career. It's amazing how accurate it is even today.
Shivam Ratnani
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Contains the most important rules of advertising, all backed by facts. Must read for everyone who'd want to make it in Advertising!
Troy Clark
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing-sales
Sucked my highlighter dry! Another for my ready reference shelf. Great book that really merits at least 4.5 stars.
Kevin
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Straight to the point copywriting tips. From effective headline writing that pulls to the psychology behind it. A must read if you're going down the direct response life.
George Jankovic
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book from one of advertising industry's founding fathers. One of my favorites.
Tim
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The definitive reference guide for tested copyrighting. Recommended by David Ogilvy himself - the father of copyright testing.
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it
The book presents some very interesting ideas although quite outdated. If only he had lived long enough to write a book about online marketing...!
Want to purchase a used book in India 1 3 Jul 25, 2017 09:45PM

• My Life in Advertising and Scientific Advertising
  • How to Write a Good Advertisement: A Short Course in Copywriting
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book
  • Breakthrough Advertising
  • Advertising Secrets of the Written Word: The Ultimate Resource on How to Write Powerful Advertising Copy from One of America's Top Copywriters and Mail Order Entrepreneurs
  • The Ultimate Sales Letter: Attract New Customers. Boost Your Sales
  • The Art of Writing Advertising: Conversations with Masters of the Craft: David Ogilvy, William Bernbach, Leo Burnett, Rosser Reeves,
  • Experiential Marketing: How to Get Customers to Sense, Feel, Think, ACT, Relate
  • The Idea Writers: Copywriting in a New Media and Marketing Era
  • Ogilvy on Advertising
  • Cutting Edge Advertising: How to Create the World's Best for Brands in the 21st Century
  • Waiting for Your Cat to Bark?: Persuading Customers When They Ignore Marketing
  • Bottom-up Marketing
  • Web Copy That Sells: The Revolutionary Formula for Creating Killer Copy Every Time
  • The Boron Letters
  • Ca$hvertising: How to Use More Than 100 Secrets of Ad-Agency Psychology to Make BIG MONEY Selling Anything to Anyone
  • The Irresistible Offer: How to Sell Your Product or Service in 3 Seconds or Less
  • Great Leads: The Six Easiest Ways To Start Any Sales Message
Born in New York, May 1, 1900; graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, 1924; began his career in advertising at Ruthrauff & Ryan, 1925; moved to Barton, Durstine & Osborn (later Batten, Barton, Durstine & Osborn) in 1927; retired from BBDO, 1983; died in New York, June 10, 1990.