Start by marking “Moonstruck: The True Story of the Cow Who Jumped Over the Moon” as Want to Read:
Moonstruck: The True Story of the Cow Who Jumped Over the Moon

Moonstruck: The True Story of the Cow Who Jumped Over the Moon

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Fractured and funny, this takeoff will appeal to kids slightly older than the Mother goose crowd who will get the spoof. . . . A fun read-aloud and a tribute to hard work.--"Booklist.
Published September 1st 1999 by Hyperion Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Moonstruck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonstruck

Jason
This one won me over. A well written, fantastical tale. Excellent rhythm.
M.M. Hudson
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The summary for this book does not even measure up to the hilarity of the book itself. The book is told from the viewpoint of a horse. This horse thinks Mother Goose did not give the cow enough credit when she wrote the tale.

You see according to the horse, who happens to be coach and captain of a team who all jump the moon every night. This cow hangs around and thus learns to jump too even though the horses see it as impossible.

Even though I know the fairy tale well, it was fun to read this book
Applehillcottage
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-great-reads
Gennifer Choldenko is more famous for her middle grade books Al Capone Does My Shirts, and Al Capone Shines My Shoes. This one, I believe, was written first. It is a hoot! It's one of my favorite funny picture books, but the child you read it to has to know Mother Goose rhymes to get the jokes. It's about a real cow who tries out for the moon jumping team, and is almost laughed out of the pasture. But she perseveres, and soon she's jumping with the best of them. A great story for perseverance! A ...more
Matthew
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice fractured version of the Mother Goose rhyme Hey Diddle, Diddle. I actually really liked the book. It was funny and much fuller than the original poem. I laughed a few times, and it seemed like that was the major goal of this story. Also, it had a nice theme of defying expectations and overcoming obstacles. Good read.
Rebecca Snodgrass
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a funny story about how Mother Goose messed up the story of the cow jumping over the moon. The sarcastic way the author wrote it is absolutely comical. The pictures are basic pictures, but they fit the story quite well. I love how the horses have a training camp for such an impossible thing. It makes me smile. The ending was even funny. It kept me laughing the whole way through.
Dolly
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, humor, 2016
Strange, but humorous tale about perseverance, hard work and dreaming big. I read this book to a very attentive six-year-old who was already familiar with the story.

The narrative is silly and motivational at the same time, which is a good mix for a children's book. And the colored pencil illustrations are cartoonish and fun. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Clacie
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
My kids always pick out books at the library about space & the moon. So naturally, this was right up their alley. It was like the E True Hollywood Story of how the cow jumped over the moon. Being the grown up reading this to them I could appreciate the similar style even if it went over their heads.
Alice
Nov 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star
I thought this book book would be fun but it was ridiculous and stupid!
What I did enjoy was looking on line to found out what etymology of the story was. The one I like the most is that the story was based on constellations like Taurus, big dipper, canine major. The book was long boring and ...idiotic
Tichina Fung-chung
This story gives a spin to classic nursery rhyme of the cow who jumped over the moon. It would be fun to create a compare and contrast chart with students to identify how the nusery rhyme story was alike and different. Then, students can create their own spin to a class nursery rhyme.
Jennine
Nov 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Told from the horses perspective, "Moonstruck" chronicles the real story of the cow who jumped over the moon in the classic Mother Goose poem. The hazy illustrations capture the mood of the original text and make this story playful.
Ken
Sep 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-kids
I think I liked this one more than my sons did. I thought it was a funny spin on the mother goose nursery rhyme. I'm with the little dog on this one.
Paula
The horse seriously doubts that the cow will ever be able to jump over the Moon but offers respect and admiration when the determined bovine accomplishes that feat.
Lisa Hechesky
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddie-lit
Read this book to my first grader Read Aloud students. An adorable story of how an unlikely critter (the cow) joins a group of moon-jumping horses for training.
Ginny
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kiddo-books
This was a fun read at bedtime last night. At first Will didn't want to read about a cow but was definitely intrigued.
Hilary
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This author presented at the BYU symposium. I like the take on this book, that Mother Goose didn't give enough credit to the cow that jumped over the moon, cuz hello! What an accomplishment!
Kristen Collins
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: edrd
The true story of the cow who jumped over the moon. Too cute! It kind of has the same feel as the little engine that could. I really enjoyed some of the humor and the cute pictures.
Hilary
Ashley
Dec 27, 2013
Aranruth
Oct 04, 2016
How did a girl named Snot-Nose end up publishing children’s books?

Here are the facts as I know them . . .

I am the youngest of four kids, all of whom have big mouths. We were so loud, that once a lady asked my brother if our mother was deaf.

She was not.

The only sibling who did not have the trademark Johnson big mouth was my sister, Gina, who had Autism. My parents worked very hard to try to fig
More about Gennifer Choldenko...