Start by marking “Be Your Best Self” as Want to Read:
Be Your Best Self

Be Your Best Self

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  359 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
One of the great purposes of our existence on earth is to perfect ourselves, to learn to become more like God. The Savior's admonition "Be ye therefore perfect" was not limited in time or scope; it applies to his disciples in every age, including this last dispensation.

Be Your Best Self can help in the constant struggle for perfection. Adapted from the powerful discourses

Published December 31st 1979 by Deseret Book Company (first published September 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Be Your Best Self, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Your Best Self

Alisha
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, kindle
Not a ton of deeps thoughts on this one. All my notes are within the text in the Deseret Book app. He had a section on fear that was really interesting (the know how chapter). His remarks on the church welfare system were tender. It was nice to read some of the older addresses of our current prophet. He tells a lot of stories about specific people and I like this because he shows applications of different gospel principles. I can tell his parents were such good people and he was so lucky to have ...more
Adam
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's a great book and how can you not love talks by Pres. Monson. But, it's kinda like going to a photo gallery of Pres. Monsoon as an apostle. There isn't really a theme or a purpose other than it is about the gospel and living it. It is the same with any book that is a collection of talks. It just seems to roll along for enjoyment. You can't really look up one certain subject or idea because the titles rarely reflect the content. So for the sake of its lack of real direction I have to give it ...more
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
I love reading and listening to President Monson. This book was printed nearly 30 years ago and it was fantastic. Each of the chapters is just a short talk that he probably gave somewhere along the line. Several of the stories I was able to recognize from conference talks. I really like that fact that he can take every day happenings and relate them to gospel topics that apply to each of us.
Oct 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
President Monson, or Elder Monson as he was called when he delivered all of these talks, is full of experience and wisdom. But he is a really bad writer. I think he's gotten better, but these talks are full of cliche, pith, and anecdote. A few talks I'll keep in reserve to reference later, but most are the same as a lot of his other talks.
Holly
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was published over 30 years ago, but Monson is a very inspiring person. He is a great story teller this his nonfiction is easy to read. I'm amazed by his service. He is a perfect example of his conclusion to this book. He had the know how, the tell how, and the show how down on how to be your best self through loving service. Inspiring!
Beth Kirby
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful advice on being the best we can be - being our best selves. This book really spoke to my soul as I strive to draw nearer to God and to His Son, the Savior Jesus Christ. It has helped me improve the way I live my life.
Carol
Jul 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Every time I read this book, I learn how to be a better me! Now I just have to practice what I read!!! Pres. Monson tells a story like no other. This book is filled with his amazing stories of life. This book is for anyone who wants to better themselves.
Connie
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a random collection of sermons probably given upwards of about 40+ years ago. Their connection to the title is not explicitly stated. It was very interesting to read these older sermons. Some of them felt very dated but still contain relevant information and doctrine. I enjoyed it.
Megan
Mar 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Classic President Monson. This book is a collection of what I assume are excerpts from various talks given in the 70s and before. He has a knack for telling inspiring stories and is always uplifting. I read this book over the course of a few months and am glad I did.
Matthew
Nov 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great book full of inspiring stories. I especially loved the story in Chapter 6 about the conversion of Fred Sudbury.

The more I read from this man, the more convinced I become that he is a prophet of God.
Dorothy
Mar 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love the inspiration this prophet gives me. He is my favorite.
Rob
Mar 03, 2008 rated it liked it
My Grandma gave this to me probably when I was around 12. I've read it multiple times. It's great.
Jamie
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
His words are written like poetry. His stories everyone can relate to. He motivates you to do better, to be your best self.
Danni
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So inspiring I love this man.
Dad
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
An enjoyable book by an excellent example of a good LDS man. It was good to read his second book.
Apzmarshl
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great compilation of talks by President Monson given sometime in the 70'S or before. Many I recognize. Others I enjoyed how he would give a short list of things to do or know.
Harry Burnside
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Although this book was published in 1979 good advice, words of wisdom and inspiring stories from a prophet of God do not date.
Alaina
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Life changing. Stories I've heard but a message I will never tire of.
Shauna
Sep 24, 2008 marked it as to-read
I wanted to do the thing where I read a church book in-between other books but I'm not doing too well. I need a story line!
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book! President Monson tells many wonderful stories of faith and service from his amazing life of discipleship. Highly recommended.
Tara
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This councel is hard to do and this book helps you know that it is possible.
Rachel
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Makes you want to be your best self!
Lois
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
President Monson and his wonderful examples and stories. Encourages one to be better.
Robert
May 30, 2008 added it
The first church book that I read when I was about 12 or 13 years old.
Liz
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who want to be better spiritually and youth leaders
This is an excellent book. I feel that I've grown spiritually and emotionally from this book. I definitely feel like I've made some good goals to become a better "me."
Sandy
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
I found myself sharing snippets of it with others, or writing notes to myself for later reflection.
Leslie
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The only warning about this book - you will choke up. Don't go reading it in public or people will worry about you. :) Love, love, love it.
Amy Halbern
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad that I stumbled upon this book on Deseret Book Shelf. I love President Monson and he is always giving us as latter day saints such incredible words of wisdom. In Be your Best Self President Monson gives us stories examples and scriptures to help us improve our lives as Latter Day Saints and Children of our loving Heavenly Father. I felt that as I read this book I took sometime with some deep reflection on my own life and how I can improve as a Latter Day Saint. Through out this book ...more
T.K.
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was really wonderful :) It's old enough that I hadn't heard any of it before, but it is written in the same style as all of his talks, and his voice really comes through. He's such an excellent story teller, and his take on the scriptures and the Savior, Jesus Christ, is enlightening and uplifting. I look forward to reading everything he has written.
JanaLee Longhurst
  • The Lord's Way
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Promised Messiah: The First Coming of Christ
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)
  • A Witness and a Warning: A Modern-Day Prophet Testifies of the Book of Mormon
  • Righteous Warriors: Lessons from the War Chapters in the Book of Mormon
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
President Thomas S. Monson has served as the 16th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since February 3, 2008. He had served as a Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church since November 10, 1985. Most recently, on March 12, 1995, he was set apart as First Counselor to President Gordon B. Hinckley. Prior to that, on June 5, 1994, he was called as Second Counselor to P ...more
More about Thomas S. Monson...

“Spirituality is not like a water faucet in that it can be turned off or turned on at will. Some make the fatal error of assuming that religion is for others now and perhaps someday for us. Such thinking is not based on fact or experience, for we are daily becoming what we shall be.” 1 likes