Start by marking “Evolution: How We and All Living Things Came To Be” as Want to Read:
Evolution: How We and All Living Things Came To Be

Evolution: How We and All Living Things Came To Be

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  235 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Evolution is the process that created the terrible teeth of Tyrannosaurus rex and the complex human brain, clever enough to understand the workings of nature. Young readers will learn how a British naturalist named Charles Darwin studied nature and developed his now-famous concepts of natural selection and survival of the fittest. And how modern-day science has added to ou ...more
Published February 1st 2010 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about Evolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evolution

Manybooks
Daniel Loxton's Evolution: How We and All Living Things Came to Be is a generally clear and concise, very much enlightening (read scientifically sound, research based, as well as intelligently and interestingly presented) basic introduction to the theory of evolution, to Charles Darwin and what has come afterwards (a bit wordy perhaps and thus Evolution: How We and All Living Things Came to Be is probably more suitable for older children above the age of nine or so, but still neither textually o ...more
Ibis3
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children and adults wanting a quick primer on evolution
A pretty decent explanation of evolution--surely better than what many students in the US public education system get in their whole time in primary and secondary school. I just finished reading The Blind Watchmaker, and I recognised many of the points and examples from there in the first part of Loxton's book (he even drops Dawkins' name a couple of times for some reason--like instead of saying "biologists" or "scientists" think he says "biologist Richard Dawkins thinks"). One significant omiss ...more
Kenny Bissett
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Well written, very comprehensive, but not too technical for kids to understand! The pictures are all excellent, as well as the questions posed at the end of the book. These are common questions related to modern confusion over certain aspects of evolutionary theory.

A great book for both adults and children who want to understand the theory of evolution!
Canadian Children's Book Centre
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ccbc-awards
Reviewed by Treavor J. Froates

Daniel Loxton, the editor of Junior Sceptic magazine, introduces the concept of evolution as “an amazing story of life on earth that has taken billions of years to unfold”. He then leads the reader through humans’ understanding of evolution as they discovered animals that no longer exist. The reader is introduced to the young Englishman named Charles Darwin who developed the now famous concepts of natural selection and the survival of the fittest.

Loxton continues to
Joan
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone, kid or adult, with an interest in science
Like many juvenile books, this would be an excellent one for an adult as well. It doesn't assume prior knowledge of the subject, and explains everything clearly. While I can't honestly say I learnt new info (I was a bio major for a while), much of it was so well presented, particularly the questions at the end which were to answer those who deny evolution without actually stating that was the purpose. His explanation of why a complex organ like an eye is a perfect sign of evolution, not of a cre ...more
Ian Fraser
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Clear, uncomplicated explanations of evolution by natural selection, full of examples of each point made, with good illustrations all of which make for a book that is easily accessible to children. The beauty and simplicity of evolution by natural selection comes across strongly. The history of Darwin's development work gives context, and demonstrates by example the scientific method, and the patience and reflection needed to develop truly original thinking. The contrary views of creationism and ...more
Al Santiago
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly in-depth for a science book aimed at younger readers, this concise and easy-to-understand introduction to the subject of evolution is great for adults too. Candid and clearly-written, it uses simple logic along with real world evidence while avoiding any kind of patronizing tone towards religion.
Mark Victor Young
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
DD and I read this book over a couple of weeks of bedtime reading. It was really informative about the concepts behind evolution and acknowledges the dissenting opinions in a Q&A type format. Very good introduction to evolution for kids. Fun facts! Great pictures! Love it. DD's word of honour!

it was...AMAZING!!!!!!!
Kate Jaimet
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book with my 8-year-old daughter who is interested in how animals came into being. Generally, it answered her questions, although I thought that some of the language was rather dry and a bit technical. I found myself adding explanations as we went along. The illustrations were beautiful.
Jim
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a nice introduction to evolution for younger readers. I even learned a few things. I especially like the 2nd section which addresses objections to evolution like "where are the transitional fossils?" Or, "what about the human and Dinosaur footprints side by side?"
Dave Wiebe
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
The best primer on evolution I've read so far. It's short, simple, has great pictures, and answers the most common questions about evolution without judgment, condescension, or rudeness (ahem, Richard Dawkins).
Chris Dunbar
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very accurate and easy-to-understand (even for my boys) nonfic book about evolution. It delivered the material in a manner that kept a 7 and 4 year old both interested and engaged while clearly explaining the basics so they could grok it.
Amaun Clark
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it
-i thought the book had a lot of pictures to go with what they where say on the other hand i thought that some of the things that they put in the book really didnt need to be in the book but other wise i thought that the book was good for the most part
Jesse Winslow
Jan 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent book. Very well written, but tackles some hard questions in a difficult subject. Bought it for my daughter for her birthday, but I had to read it before wrapping it. Illustrations are quite good also. Highly recommended.
Steve
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for anyone from upper elementary to adult. It covers the basic ideas behind evolutionary theory in simple language and is full of great examples to help make the ideas more concrete.
Anthony Faber
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kids book explaining evolution. Pretty good and he manages to keep it simple while managing to explain some of the nuances of the subject.
Brent
Apr 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Written for younger folks but actually informative for all ages. Does a great job of explaining evolution and many of the misunderstandings about it.
Science For The People
Author Daniel Loxton's April 9, 2011 LogiCON keynote presentation was featured on Skeptically Speaking #118 on June 26, 2011. http://skepticallyspeaking.ca/episode...

Recommended on Skeptically Speaking show #90 on December 17, 2010. http://skepticallyspeaking.ca/episode...
Jerome
Apr 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was okay. Just to help understand how humans were formed.
Elizabeth
May 03, 2011 marked it as to-read
As heard on Point of Inquiry.
Mosikanan Gnanasegaram
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Evolution
Thom
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A clear and concise explanation for the youngster - and their parents.
Tracy
  • One Beetle Too Many: The Extraordinary Adventures of Charles Darwin
  • The Usborne Encyclopedia of World Religions: Internet-Linked
  • Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America
  • The Authoritarians
  • Human (Dk Smithsonian Institution)
  • The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder
  • The Skull in the Rock: How a Scientist, a Boy, and Google Earth Opened a New Window on Human Origins
  • Life Story
  • Island: A Story of the Galápagos
  • One Well: The Story of Water on Earth
  • The Worm
  • Animal Earth: The Amazing Diversity of Living Creatures
  • Garden Insects of North America: The Ultimate Guide to Backyard Bugs
Daniel Loxton is a Canadian writer, illustrator, and skeptic. He is the Editor of Junior Skeptic magazine, a kids’ science section bound into the Skeptics Society's Skeptic magazine. He writes and illustrates most issues of Junior Skeptic.