Start by marking “Inner Compass: An Invitation to Ignatian Spirituality” as Want to Read:
Inner Compass: An Invitation to Ignatian Spirituality

Inner Compass: An Invitation to Ignatian Spirituality

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  233 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Inner Compass offers a practical guide to greater self-knowledge and spiritual awareness through the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola. Close to the Heart opens up a world of imaginative yet simple ways to approach individual prayer. Going on Retreat is a valuable resource for anyone considering a retreat experience.
Published December 3rd 2005 by Loyola Press (first published June 27th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Inner Compass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inner Compass

Julie Davis
Jun 29, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
#69 - 2010.

A review book from Loyola Press that I received some time ago. I've been interested in Ignatian Spirituality for a while and this has a more general take so far than some books I've read. However, that is not a negative thing. Silf's overview is highly interesting and makes a lot of sense.

UPDATE
This is a really wonderful book thus far. Silf has a way with imagery and of helping one mentally "enter" the situations she presents. All this helps to get a clear view of where we stand, whe
Alexis
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grey-room, own
Jennie
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Silf's accessible text allowed me to focus on learning about prayer and my inner spiritual journey. I will hold onto several of the stories she shared about her own journey as helpful reminders that spiritual growth is challenging.
Massanutten Regional Library
Suzy, Grottoes patron, July 2017, 5 stars:

Excellent book for those who desire to know more about Saint Ignatius of Loyola's way of growing into relationship with God more deeply.
Loretta
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you want something to take you deeper into your authentic self, this book is fantastic.
Teri Peterson
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
There is much good work in this book. And also a few to many words. I often found myself wondering why the book felt so long...it could use some editing, I think.
I appreciate a number of things, but most especially the prayer suggestions at the end of each chapter. There are several of differing types, which is helpful as some don't speak much to me while others definitely do.
The theology of redemptive suffering in one of the final chapters had me spending those pages gritting my teeth, as that
Diane
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A landmark in the inner journey of prayer. The author has an experienced, deft touch as she explores the dynamics of spiritual life through the prism of the Ignatian "Spiritual Exercises." I hardly recognized them, she is so skilled in speaking heart to heart about the real ways we experience our spiritual lives.

Silf's simple diagram of 3 concentric circles is a touchstone for understanding one's journey:
"Where Am I? (outermost circle) The givenness of the facts and circumstances of my life, t
Adam
This is a great introduction to the profound insights of St. Ignatius of Loyola's "Spiritual Exercises." Margaret Silf is an amazing story teller and creative writer. She introduces the reader to the life story of St. Ignatius and how it gave rise to the exercises. The majority of the book reflects on the First Week of the exercises which center on learning to discern the inner movements of our hearts. Only when we reach the very end does she introduce the Second, Third, and Fourth Weeks touchin ...more
Tim
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
An interesting exploration of inner heart desires, loosely based on the 4 weeks of Ignatian exercises. It overwhelmingly focuses on the first week, searching for God's voice within our deepest desires. In the latter chapters, it touches on weeks 2-4, imaginatively reading and praying through Jesus' life, death, and resurrection.

Overall, the book's tone is gentle and inviting; it provides assistance in exploring the heart, with vivid imagery and reflective questions. The basic premise is that Go
Shannon Hyde
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I so enjoyed this book this summer-- it became more of a faith manual and daily spiritual guide than a one time read for me. Using the exercises and ideas from the founder of the Jesuits, St. Ignatius of Loyola, Silf does a remarkable job explaining how we can tap into our "WHO center" (that part of us all that is holy and good and who God wants us to be) and bring it back to the WHERE part of ourselves (the part where we live our daily experiences) and back again. It is a fascinating journey to ...more
Mauberley
This was really my first introduction to Ignatian spirituality and I thought that Ms Silf was a fine guide. I found her discussion of the daily examen to be wonderfully helpful and I thought that she had a real gift for creating a helpful image to illustrate her teaching. Unfortunately, things seemed to repeat themselves and my attention would wander from time to time. However, each chapter ends with a number of suggestions and I was regularly able to find at least one that felt 'right' for me. ...more
Anna
Oct 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great modern look at the teachings of St. Ignatius. Great stuff on noticing attachments/addictions that encourage us to make choices out of fear or drive to attain something. exercises in the book help to internalize the content and illustrate how you can begin to make choices in your life from a place of freedom. operating from this free place brings us closer to God, closer to ourselves, and closer to others.
Emma
Aug 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
I thought this was a new book but it's published as Landmarks in the UK, so it wasn't new to me. I know that the Ignatian approach involves a lot of metaphor and imagination but I found terms like 'Godseed' and 'Godplant' just a bit weird. (And google 'sonseed jesus is my friend' on youtube to see one reason why). But that's just me. Don't let that stop you reading it.
Carrie
Feb 06, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is slowly helping me to reflect on my past, understand my present emotions and difficulties, thank God for the incredible blessings He has given me, and seek the peace and wisdom I need to determine my future. I would definitely recommend it for any Christian who is searching for inner peace about their life journey.
Anne Joseph
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book needs to be read carefully, and the suggestions of things to do and how to pray must be taken in order to get the full benefit of reading this book. The first time I read it, there was a lot of time in between reading chapters, and I think I'm going to read it again on a consistent schedule to really learn more from it.
Beth Booram
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was a slow and deep drink for me! I loved her stories, metaphors and images. Great intro to St. Ignatius.
Olive Chan
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A practical guide to being attentive to the inner movements of the soul as it relates to how we can choose well in life.
Peg
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Highly readable exploration of Ignatian spirituality, with a variety of reflection activities to allow for individual contemplation of self and God
Doris Carter
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Your "center" is so much more than you coils ever imagine.
Nancy Bolen
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
A very practical guide to our spiritual life.
Patti Dean
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I get something new from this wonderful book each time I pick it up.
Irene
Apr 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Does a good job of putting Ignatian spirituality into contemporary language. Nothing earth shaking.
Elaine
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
An excellent guide to St. Ignatius Examination of Conscience, made accessible and relevant to modern readers. Worth revisiting every few years.
Jeanne Schaum
Rajit Kabadi
Aug 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Weeds Among the Wheat
  • The Ignatian Adventure: Experiencing the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola in Daily Life
  • The Practice of Spiritual Direction
  • Sleeping with Bread: Holding What Gives You Life
  • Christian Meditation: Experiencing the Presence of God
  • Francis of Assisi: A Revolutionary Life
  • The Rule of Benedict: Insights for the Ages
  • Gratefulness, The Heart Of Prayer: An Approach To Life In Fullness
  • The Discernment of Spirits: An Ignatian Guide for Everyday Living
  • The Holy Longing: Guidelines for a Christian Spirituality
  • Becoming Who You Are: Insights on the True Self from Thomas Merton and Other Saints
  • Will and Spirit
  • The Spiritual Exercises
  • Love and Living
  • Centering Prayer: Renewing an Ancient Christian Prayer Form
  • Sacred Companions: The Gift of Spiritual Friendship Direction
  • The Cloud of Unknowing
  • Athanasius: The Life of Antony and the Letter to Marcellinus (Classics of Western Spirituality)