Start by marking “Not Afraid of Dogs” as Want to Read:
Not Afraid of Dogs

Not Afraid of Dogs

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  135 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Daniel is the bravest boy of all!

Daniel isn't afraid of spiders. He isn't afraid of snakes. He isn't even afraid of thunderstorms. And no matter what his sister says, he's certainly not afraid of dogs — he just doesn't like them. But there's no avoiding them when he comes home and his mother is babysitting his aunt's dog.

Susanna Pitzer's humorous look into the nature of co
Published May 16th 2006 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Not Afraid of Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Afraid of Dogs

June
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: for children afraid of dogs.
Joan
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids afraid of dogs
Recommended to Joan by: June Krell
This is a charming book about a boy who is afraid of dogs, although he is brave about everything else. He tells people, that it isn't that he is afraid of dogs, he doesn't like them. He is appalled to come into the house one day and find a dog on his Mom's lap. "Mom, you know I don't like dogs" he storms. He spends the rest of the day in his bedroom to avoid the dog...and his sister's teasing. But he needs the bathroom that night so sneaks into the bathroom thinking no one was around. He did thi ...more
Lisa Vegan
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a funny and charming story and has terrific pictures, and it could be helpful to kids who have fears, especially a fear of dogs or other animals.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Daniel is not afraid of dogs...he just doesn't like them.

I wish I would have thought of this when I was a kid because I was TERRIFIED of dogs, lol.

Nice story!
Krista Vogts
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
I like this book because it shows that everyone has something that they are afraid of. This book would be great to show to students because it teaches them that sometimes you have to face your fears. Daniel decides to face his fear of dogs when he sees that the dog is scared of the thunderstorm. Daniel realizes that dogs aren't as scary as he thought, and he decides to protect the dog. This story is cute, and flows really well.
Alexis Espinosa
Not Afraid of Dogs: Daniel is the bravest boy of all. He isn't afraid of spiders or snakes. He isn't even afraid of thunderstorms. And no matter what his sister says, he's certainly not afraid of dogs -- he just doesn't like them. But there's no avoiding them when he comes home and his mother is babysitting his aunt's dog.

Comments/observations: This books reading level is kindergarten through second grade and the themes include values, overcoming fears, and character. My emotional readers respo
Elizabeth Smith
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pitzer, Susanna. Not Afraid of Dogs. Illus. Larry Day. New York: Walter Publishing Company, Inc. 2006. Print. Fiction, fears, courage. In this this children’s story we meet a boy named Daniel who isn’t afraid of anything…accept for dogs. One day his family is dog watching for his aunt and he learns to face his fears and discovers that he really likes dogs. I think the author depicts fear incredibly accurate. In this book Daniel is afraid of dogs for what seems like no reason and he goes to ridic ...more
babyhippoface
Jan 31, 2012 rated it liked it
"I'm the bravest boy of all!" Daniel announces loudly and proudly to his sister. "I'm not afraid of spiders. I'm not afraid of snakes. I'm not even afraid of thunderstorms."

But Jenny knows the truth: "You're afraid of dogs."

"I'm not afraid of dogs, I just don't like them."

No matter what he says, Daniel is most definitely afraid of dogs. He'll deny it all day long, but he's afraid. So you can imagine how he feels when he comes home to find his mother sitting on the couch holding his Aunt Rose's
Kimberly
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdg-4050
Not Afraid of Dogs in the story of a little boy Daniel, who isn't afraid of anything. He just doesn't like dogs. When he comes home to find his mom holding Aunt Rose’s dog Bandit, he doesn't know what to think. His sister calls him a “fraidy cat” and he reinforces he just doesn't like dogs. Daniel spends the rest of the day in his room away from Bandit, but then in the middle of the night he has to use the bathroom and finds Bandit hiding. Daniel learns that sometimes it’s more important to hel ...more
Rachel
Many a child is afraid of dogs, of these most are scared for no apparent reason. Sometimes this is overcome by the realization that dogs are not so different from people. This is the case with Daniel, who bonds with Bandit over a shared emotion. The author see no reason to go into greater depth in what is a very serious problem for some people. It is not that she makes light of the matter, but for a phobia, Jason overcomes it too easily.
Ngoc  Dang
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is great in teaching children to understand that everyone has something that they are afraid of. The kid is afraid of dogs, but he says that he doesn't like dogs. He makes excuses to stay away from dogs. When he had the chance to see that a dog was afraid of thunder, the kid understood that everyone has something that they are afraid of. This book shows that it is okay to be afraid of things. We just have to try and understand new things.
Melanie
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Daniel is not afraid of dogs! He just doesn't like them. His dislike is tested when Aunt Roses' dog has to come stay for awhile. One night there's a terrible thunderstorm. Daniel finds the little dog howling in the bathroom, afraid of the thunder. The two of them find that they can keep each other company.
Melissa Gruber
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book, "Not Afraid of Dogs". I have the biggest weakness for dogs and this story got me. It made me laugh and it also touched me heart. I think dogs are very compassionate creatures, and to me, this book portrayed that. I would definitely recommend to other children. It may even help young children overcome a fear of dogs.
Tricia
Nov 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
on many levels, a great book. boy is brave about everything, except dogs. when a thunderstorm hits during the family's dog-sitting of aunt's dog, he changes his mind through comforting a dog terrified of storms. girls liked it.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bravery, dogs, fears, phobias
A cute book about a little boy who is brave and not afraid of anything. Not even dogs - he just doesn't like them. Then a dog comes to stay with his family and he learns that they aren't so bad after all.

Nice illustrations.
Christine Turner
Aug 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: dog, anxiety
Young Daniel must confront his fear of dogs when his mom dog sits his aunt's pet. www.hcpl.net

I like that this book deals with a fear that many children have. Also, it focuses on caring for others.

Chantel
Jul 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I didn't connect with this story. The illustrations were fine but didn't warm me to the story. Maybe if I had a child who was afraid of dogs I would add a star or two. My puppy loving family can't relate.
Katey
Dec 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a cute book about not being controlled by your fears. You always need to be cautious about dogs but there is nothing to be scared of. Daniel learns that since he is the bravest boy then he can help comfort those that are scared.
Kirsten
Jan 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A picture book with a heart, NOT AFRAID OF DOGS tackles "dogaphobia" in it's natural habitat. A great read for slightly older children, the book emphasizes that even things we fear have their own set of fears to deal with.
Fisal Ansari

Dogs animals.

Illustrations:
drawings.

Personal response:
This was an interesting book.

Curricular or programming connections:
Not sure.
Gryphon
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an exceptionally cute book about a boy that "is not afraid of dogs!" He just "doesn't like 'em."

This is a good book to show little kids who may not like dogs that dogs get scared too.

Hopefully this book will help children and their adults get over the fear of dogs.
Jenna's Mom
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: little kids 3 and up
Shelves: to-buy
This has been one of Jenna's very favorite books, one that she reads over and over again to herself and asks for at bedtime and naptime. I plan to get Jenna copy of this book.
Leah Coffin
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Good, but a bit long for younger kids.
Marianne
Oct 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Cute picture books to show young children that dogs are not as scary as they think they are.
Joseph Pomatto
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Facing your fears can be hard and over coming them can sometimes be easy like when it is being afraid of dogs
Virginia
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the art! The story felt familiar but the art is so lovely!
Maggie
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Golden Kite

Daniel learns to love a dog by relating to get through fear! Cute story, funny illustrations contradict Daniels assertion that he isn't afraid of dogs.
Leona
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bibliotherapy
Warm-hearted story of a boy who learns that he doesn't need to be afraid of dogs. Cute puppy!
Brooke
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Pictures were great, but the story was just okay. I changed the words for Owen and it turned out better.
Angie
Mar 16, 2010 rated it liked it
This kind of cute...the little boy discovers he does like dogs when one needs to be comforted.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »