Start by marking “Everything Changes: Help for Families of Newly Recovering Addicts” as Want to Read:
Everything Changes: Help for Families of Newly Recovering Addicts

Everything Changes: Help for Families of Newly Recovering Addicts

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  118 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A compassionate, user-friendly handbook for family and friends navigating the many challenges that come with a loved one's new-found sobriety.

A relative or friend has finally taken those tentative first steps toward sobriety. With the relief of this life-changing course of action comes a new and difficult set of challenges for recovering addicts and those who love them. Fa
Published April 14th 2009 by Hazelden Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Everything Changes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything Changes

Emily
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one to buy and keep for re-reads. Such an excellent resource, especially for someone who gets more support from books than meetings. Reading this reminded me that there are so many people who have experienced this particular pain, and that I'm not alone.
The tone is compassionate, and the advice is logical and sound. This was just what I needed, and I think others who read it will feel the same way.
I've been on the receiving end of the "make sure to take care of yourself" advice without
Arthea J. Larson
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found a lot of relief in this book. What I felt as rejection is simply a part of focusing on one’s recovery. All the energy goes to one thing and sobriety is not a quick fix.

I appreciated a balanced view of the addict and the family and what to expect. Nothing was sugar-coated but it wasn’t abrasive, either. I found it a very calming book that I will definitely return to.
Laura Andersen
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Personally, I think this would be a helpful book for all parents of young adults, addiction issues or not. Lots of guidance and reminders about control, detachment, and living our own lives whatever choices our children make. Here are some of my favorites:

"Assumptions create barriers to communication because we are tuned in to what's going on inside our own head, all the while telling ourselves it's what's going on in hers."

"The lesson of relapse is not that our loved one has failed. It is that
JD Derby
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative, encouraging, honest

Conyers doesn't sugar-coat addiction. She does, however, offer hope and encouragement, a good intro to the Al Anon way of coping, and truths that family members must eventually face before moving forward productively. I walked away from the book with a clear sense of direction and purpose for myself and a better understanding of my daughter's addiction journey.
Darreth Eckert
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You must read this!

This should be mandatory reading for everyone who loves an addict. I read this book within a 24 hour span and will be rereading and referring back to it for a long time to come.
Tori
excellent
Julia
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was very helpful. I felt like I was reading about my own life in some parts, and the advice is excellent. I would probably reread it in the future and use it as a reference.
Denise
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
very helpful and informative
Helen
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
It's hard to say I LIKED this book, because I usually mean that I enjoyed the book when I say things like that. This isn't an enjoyable book. But it is informative, helpful, and well worth reading.
Eileen
Sep 06, 2017
Andrea
Sep 13, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Beverly Conyers is the mother of three grown children. She began writing about addiction when she discovered that her youngest daughter was addicted to heroin. She knows first-hand the anxiety and heartache that families endure, and she has gained deep insight into the process of recovery from addicts who share their experiences in her books. Above all, she knows that there is no such thing as a h ...more
More about Beverly Conyers...