Start by marking “Practical Electronics for Inventors” as Want to Read:
Practical Electronics for Inventors

Practical Electronics for Inventors

This intuitive, applications-driven guide to electronics for hobbyists, engineers, and students doesn't overload readers with technical detail. Instead, it tells you-and shows you-what basic and advanced electronics parts and components do, and how they work. Chock-full of illustrations, Practical Electronics for Inventors offers over 750 hand-drawn images that provide cle ...more
Published December 1st 2006 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published November 1st 1998)

Start your review of Practical Electronics for Inventors
David
Sep 05, 2010 is currently reading it
The first half of the book is theory. Full of excellent illustrations. The part on capacitors and magnets was the most informing piece on the subject I've read. The second half is practical reference.
Denny
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great guide - loved the library copy & bought one to keep on my shelf for electronics projects as they come up. ...more
Dominic
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: electronics
Very small amount of mathematical mistakes in the theory section. Other than that, it's a great reference book to theory and practical information.
Bob Edwards
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Who writes a book labeled "Practical Electronics for Inventors" and starts it out with two and fifty pages of theory full of "scary math?" I have a BS in Math so it's not that scary it's also not that useful in practice as the author recognizes by showing you "tricks" so that you can avoid it.

I finally gave up after about 300 pages. It still hadn't gotten to any practical examples.

Jesse
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Kindle edition sucks. Get the full book so you can leaf through it, look through the diagrams, and keep bookmarks to refer back to.
Sami Osman
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
That's perhaps one of the very best books that I've ever read on electronics. It helped me a lot gaining a basic and hands-on knowledge on Analog and Digital Electronics :).
Dwight Roberson
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: electronic technicians; students
By far the best book I've ever read regarding electricity, electronics, and electrical and electronic components. As an engineer student more than 30 years ago I wish my professor had used this book to teach both theory and practical applications.

Beginning with fundamental theory, the author takes a building block approach to helping the reader learn the subject matter. While the book does dive into electron theory, chemistry, and math including calculus, don't let that deter a reader who didn't
Mike
Just started reading this and already I am impressed. It presents the material assuming the reader has no electronic background but yet does it in an accessible and non-arrogant manner. That is not to say it isn't complex, it is just well organized and written to help bring you through it step by step.

Even the examples questions have the answers right there to check your mastery. I am grateful for that.

If you don't have a background in electronics (as I do not), then I recommend this book before
Ross
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy introduction to electronics components. I was able to find a hardbound copy at the county library, which rocks.
Aniruddha Sinha
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it
marekj
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: internetofthings
Reference book for Electronics.
James Davis
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic and informative book. I am so glad I bought this. I will say, however, like many text books, it's not appropriate for kindle.
Amit
Mar 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Ian
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Not a book I felt like reading from cover to cover but a valuable reference for someone like me that has a basic grounding in electronics that does not match his enthusiasm.
Sim kimhong
I think that the book is good for study.it is easy to read.
Bria
buku elektronika terbaik
waktu jaman kuliah
#versi saya loh
Yousef M
Excellent and invaluable reference in understanding the physical, chemical, and mathematical concepts underlying practical electronic components and devices.
Jeff
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buy-me
Extremely well presented and wonderfully detailed. I’ll add this book to my test bench reference shelf.
Stefany GG
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the title suggests, this is a great practical resource when developing projects whether you are an inventor, engineer or hobbyist.
Jad Issa
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mehhh...
Eric Allan
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Veeeery thick book. Really just a textbook on electronics. It would take me a year to read this thing. Probably too much info, unless you are an ultra-serious hobbyist.
William R.
Giorgio Pizzorni
Sep 01, 2014
Jonathan De Anda
Dec 24, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Combining editions of a textbook 2 18 Nov 07, 2015 10:37AM

• The Art of Electronics
  • MAKE: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery
  • Getting Started with Arduino
  • Arduino Cookbook
  • How Not to Be Wrong: The Power of Mathematical Thinking
  • Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming
  • Thing Explainer: Complicated Stuff in Simple Words
  • Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries
  • Motors for Makers: A Guide to Steppers, Servos, and Other Electrical Machines
  • Liquid Rules: The Delightful and Dangerous Substances That Flow Through Our Lives
  • The Atlas of Middle-Earth
  • The Second Machine Age: Work, Progress, and Prosperity in a Time of Brilliant Technologies
  • Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook: Synthesizer Programming, Sound Analysis, and Universal Patch Book
  • The Man Who Changed Everything: The Life of James Clerk Maxwell
  • The End of Absence: Reclaiming What We've Lost in a World of Constant Connection
  • A Text Book of Electrical Technology
  • ABC of Electrical Engineering
  • Basic Electronics: Solid State

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Some popular simulator programs include Electronics Workbench, CircuitMaker, and MicroSim/Pspice. Electronics Workbench and CircuitMaker are relatively easy to use, while Pspice is a bit more technical.” 0 likes