Start by marking “Inventing Reality: The Politics of News Media” as Want to Read:
Inventing Reality: The Politics of News Media

Inventing Reality: The Politics of News Media

Taking a critical perspective on the economics and politics of "presenting" the news, this topical supplement argues that the media systematically distorts news coverage.
Published November 15th 1992 by Cengage Learning (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Inventing Reality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inventing Reality

Start your review of Inventing Reality: The Politics of News Media
Jana
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you‘re thinking about reading Chomsky‘s ‚Manufacturing Consent‘, read this instead - it‘s written on the same subject, 2 years earlier, and by someone far more knowledgeable.
Honestly, Parentis writing style ist phenomenal. He argues really concisely, anticipating every counterargument, and exposing the reader to a radical new world view, but he never loses himself in technical jargon. He engages the reader with his wit and humour and I‘ve honestly never read a non-fiction book as quickl
Jason
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm only half way through this book and already it's one of the most concise and penetrating critiques of the Mass Media in America that I've ever read. As someone who works in the business, Parenti's analysis of distortions, ideology, omissions and power of the Media in our lives is an essential read. Be prepared to cancel your cable...
Foppe
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent discussion of how the media function as institutions that push the interests of their stakeholders -- their owners, their advertisers, the political and business elites that their employees look up to, and the government, on which they rely for access to much of the information they need to be seen as Serious Outlets. Last in this line comes the public.

Parenti's writing style is a lot livelier than Chomsky's, which makes it a far quicker and more enjoyable read. And note th
C. Scott
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. No one does a better job using plain language to describe the larger forces at work that alter our perception of reality. Here Parenti turns his focus on the media.

Going far beyond the typical “liberal complaint” mode of media criticism, Parenti drives full force into a radical class analysis. Does it matter that the establishment press, the major media that get all the accolades and respect in our culture, also happen to be capitalist enterprises? You bet your ass. Does i
P.J. Sullivan
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Exposes media bias, how economic power leads to cultural hegemony and ideological monopoly. Michael Parenti is one of the best antidotes to media misinformation.
Emmy
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We are the world best leading online newspaper portal. You all are the most welcome in our newspaper.If you want to get regular newslatter from our newspaper, please go home page business news and click the below subscribe button.

World News :
View FOX world news today for international news and videos from Europe, Asia, Africa, the Middle East and the Americas. Visit world news bbc for up-to-the-minute news, breaking news, video, audio and feature stories.

Politics News :
Possum Paderau
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Parenti is a fantastic writer. The conclusion of the book was powerful. I just wish there were a 30 year anniversary edition that was updated with developments in the media since then. Things are very similar but have also changed a lot.
Oli Vert
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marxism
If someone tells you to read Manufacturing Consent by Chomsky, ignore them and read this instead. A much more principled Marxist critique of mass media apparatuses.
Rochelle Blumenstein
It was amazing how relevant this book is now despite its being 30 year old.
Bryant Scott
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: culture
This book was required reading for a class I am taking. The book makes compelling arguments that the media invents reality to support the conservative establishment; not the liberal view as many conservatives argue. I would recommend reading the book, especially if you think the media is liberal. You will find a great deal of evidence to the contrary in this book. The book was published in 1992 and discusses media distortions up to that time. Today, people can find nearly anything they want to h ...more
Yuu Sasih
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great book about media influence on people's perspective, with all controls it gets from government, media owner, etc. How our mind could easily be manipulate for the sake of few people's benefit. Nice read.
Des
May 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
Excellent overview of the function of the mass media today - utterly vindicated by Wikileaks revelations and the role of the corporate media during and post-Wikileaks.
Roy
Apr 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parenti at his best. The Politics of News Media. He digs at the roots that sustain our public consciousness.
Michelle Murray
read in a college class a long time ago! will not forget what i learned.
Monica
May 26, 2011 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Monica by: PJ
Shelves: politics
If I had to choose I think I'm more apt to read Parenti's books about history than media. I wish I wasn't such a slow reader. 950 books to read? I better start getting them on tape!
Christopher
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quite shocking to me at the time.
Michael Valletta
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the truth. If you want to open your eyes and step out of Plato's proverbial cave READ THIS BOOK!
Brian Carnell
Sep 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
A Stalinist criticizing American media....
Expose Austin Texas Duty To Care For Others
Classic book on cultural hegemony and how the plethora of medias manipulate society on a regular basis.
Jake

• Students for a Democratic Society: A Graphic History
  • The Battle for China's Past: Mao and the Cultural Revolution
  • Sexcastle
  • Star Wars: Han Solo
  • The Management of Savagery: How America's National Security State Fueled the Rise of Al Qaeda, Isis, and Donald Trump
  • Warren Commission Report: A Graphic Investigation into the Kennedy Assassination
  • Thor, Volume 1: The Goddess of Thunder
  • Shigeru Mizuki’s Hitler
  • Groot
American political scientist, historian and culture critic.

Parenti is most known for his criticism of capitalism and American foreign policy.

He holds a doctorate from Yale University.
“Power is always more secure when cooptive, covert, and manipulative than when nakedly brutish. The support elicited through the control of minds is more durable than the support extracted at the point of a bayonet. The essentially undemocratic nature of the mainstream media, like the other business-dominated institutions of society, must be hidden behind a neutralistic, voluntaristic, pluralistic facade.

"For manipulation to be most effective, evidence of its presence should be nonexistent.... It is essential, therefore, that people who are manipulated believe in the neutrality of their key social institutions," writes Herbert Schiller.”
0 likes
“The basic distortions in the media are not innocent errors, for they are not random; rather they move in the same overall direction again and again, favoring management over labor, corporatism over anti-corporatism, the affluent over the poor, private enterprise over socialism, Whites over Blacks, males over females, officialdom over protesters, conventional politics over dissidence, anticommunism and arms-race militarism over disarmament, national chauvinism over internationalism, US dominance of the Third World over revolutionary or populist nationalist change. The press does many things and serves many functions but its major role, its irreducible responsibility, is to continually recreate a view of reality supportive of existing social and economic class power.” 0 likes