Start by marking “The Rejected Body: Feminist Philosophical Reflections on Disability” as Want to Read:
The Rejected Body: Feminist Philosophical Reflections on Disability

The Rejected Body: Feminist Philosophical Reflections on Disability

The Rejected Body argues that feminist theorizing has been skewed toward non-disabled experience, and that the knowledge of people with disabilities must be integrated into feminist ethics, discussions of bodily life, and criticism of the cognitive and social authority of medicine. Among the topics it addresses are who should be identified as disabled; whether disability ...more
Published July 4th 1996 by Routledge (first published June 2nd 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Rejected Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rejected Body

Lightreads
Dec 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Holy discourse, Batman! It's a book with the word "feminist" and the word "disability" in the title, and it didn't piss me off. For the last couple of years just one has been a bad sign – clearly I wasn't reading the right stuff.

Pretty much what it says on the tin: a compact but thorough unpack of how feminist theory – treating gender as the social construct of biological difference – can illuminate disability theory – treating ability as the social construct of the biological difference between
Lucia
May 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lucia by: mom
Shelves: health
Too academic for my current tastes, but there were some real gems in the "Myth of Control" section.
A quote:
"People with disabilities or incurable illnesses often find that long after they have accepted the conditions of their bodies, their friends and acquaintances want them to continue looking for cures. Out of kindness and a wish to help, but also frequently because of a frantic desire not to be forced to believe that the body cannot be controlled, people offer endless advice about possible
Jessica
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Even though I've lived with chronic illness since childhood, this book changed how I view myself in the world. I wish I had known about it 20 years ago (or 10, or 5). But I'm glad I finally got the message. So helpful and affirming and thought-provoking.
Anna
Nov 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC. Recommended reading if you're interested in disability studies, feminist theory, or both. I used this book as a resource for a paper that I wrote a few months ago, but even if you're not in the field of gender studies, it's an informative and (dare I say it?) entertaining read.
Tara Calaby
Apr 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Tanya
Shelves: feminism, disability
I was particularly interested in reading this due to the fact that the author, like myself, has had CFS/ME for an extended period of time. Due to this, she's much more aware of invisible disabilities than many other writers would be.

There's a lot to think about in here. I particularly enjoyed the chapters about the ways in which Western medicine can actually hinder, rather than help, people with disabilities.

My main disappointment with the book was that the subtitle promised feminism, but there
Crystal
Feb 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-it
A very detailed jump into the world of Feminist Disability Theory. Written for mostly academic readers, this book is on the whole accessible enough to read outside that world.

Wendell goes in depth describing first how typical feminist theory has forgotten about the differently abled and tasks them to task for it. Then she delves into who should be considered "disabled", why and/or why not, given various degrees of shite to those who prefer to put "labels" on the movement.

It is a really good read
Chris Nagel
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pretty dang good, but dated -- the 1996 feminist ethic of care bit, and oh, those debates about essentialist vs. postmodern feminism! But Wendell's discussion of disability will be useful for my Bioethics classes, and it's interesting to me as a philosopher concerned with embodiment and phenomenology. I'm new to disability studies, so I don't really know anything, I'm just excited by it.
Emily
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought I would dislike this book because I'm not a big fan of feminist philosophy. However, I do enjoy disability policy and philosophy, and seeing it through Wendell's lens made me think about it differently. The book is very thought-provoking, not overly academic so as to make it headache-inducing. I definitely recommend it to any disability rights scholar.
Jaime
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was my first feminist disability book and I really liked it. It was a great introduction to the subject and opened my mind to considering disability in a way I had never considered. "Temporarily Able-Bodied" was my favourite concept. It's a must read!
Sandy
I reviewed this book for Feminists with Disabilities:
Alysha
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing and opened my mind to new ways of thinking and understanding.
Kay
Apr 17, 2007
Mattias Grahn
Apr 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Extraordinary Bodies: Figuring Physical Disability in American Culture and Literature
  • Crip Theory: Cultural Signs of Queerness and Disability
  • Nothing About Us Without Us: Disability Oppression and Empowerment
  • Waist-High in the World: A Life Among the Nondisabled
  • Exile and Pride: Disability, Queerness, and Liberation
  • A Disability History of the United States
  • The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability: For All of Us Who Live with Disabilities, Chronic Pain, and Illness
  • Too Late to Die Young: Nearly True Tales from a Life