Start by marking “From Clueless to Class Act: Manners for the Modern Woman” as Want to Read:
From Clueless to Class Act: Manners for the Modern Woman

From Clueless to Class Act: Manners for the Modern Woman

Every woman wants to put her best foot forward - and avoid those dreaded faux pas that turn off employers and co-workers, dates and friends. Written with zest and humour, this female-centered guide makes good behaviour simple and fun.
Published April 1st 2006 by Sterling Publishing (NY)

To ask other readers questions about From Clueless to Class Act, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Clueless to Class Act

Start your review of From Clueless to Class Act: Manners for the Modern Woman
Alexa Uttamsingh
Apr 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I don't think sexism and antiquated standards fall under being a "class act".
Kyra
Apr 09, 2020 rated it liked it
This terribly superficial book isn’t politically correct- but it did teach me some tricks. I took etiquette classes and this taught me some things I didn’t know. Not worth buying, but worth borrowing.
Lesa Parnham
Dec 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018-books-read
If I could give zero stars I would. Picked up in the remainder bin, total waist of money.
TheNovelSomeNerd
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
was kind of a fun read
Ashley
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I just learned that this was updated in 2015; whereas the version I read was published nine years ago. So I’m going to *hope* that the updated version is better than this one. It’d be pretty challenging for it to be worse.

This is a pretty sexist book. I think the author has this idea that teaching etiquette is the same thing as teaching women how to fit into every stereotype about what a woman should be. Now, I love etiquette books. I’ve read loads of them, including some hilariously ridiculous
411Junkie
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Etiquette is fascinating because it involves so many different areas: history, sociology, psychology, gender issues, race relations, and technology. (173)"

What a true statement! Smith has done an excellent job providing quality information an entertaining way. The subject of etiquette can be a daunting task to educate others about because everything you do in life is tied to a certain type of behavior that expected.

Jodi R. R. Smith covers a lot of ground in her book--from public places and even
SooYoung
Nov 15, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one I know
I was just sort of curious so sue me. It's a quick read, finished it in a day, it gets fairly repetitive at the end of the day.
Was a good reminder to be a little nicer and respecting a little more often. Somethings were nice like always return a phone call promptly, write handwritten thank you notes (the darker the ink the more formal the tone!), and a guide on what to tip whom and for what occassion (goes far beyond just your server at dinner), while some things I could do without--none of whi
Katy
Jan 04, 2011 rated it liked it
While not the most exciting read, I found this book of modern etiquette to be very informative. I felt like I had solid knowledge of good manners before reading this, but I have to admit that there was a LOT I didn't know or didn't realize. Some of it seemed silly to me (a 4-page description of how to eat a lobster?), but for the most part, the book contained very practical tips. The challenge now is remembering them -- I read the book a few months ago and I already have forgotten many of the de ...more
Amy
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: wendy adams rivard, mary-ann
What a hoot! Among all my etiquette books (gifts from mom-hint?) this one I purchased and roared. The author, Jodi, R. R. Smith (who also has a groovy blog), does not mock etiquette but, rather, adds humor to a topic that demonstrates how essential a bit of light-heartedness adds to one's personality. People who seem too serious and try to appear WAY intellectual frighten me and typically end up making faux pas in their behavior (no names, ex-bro-in-law: etymology vs. entomology--oops!). No loss ...more
Brenda
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: domestic
This was enjoyable enough. It would be better to have on hand as needed, as opposed to reading it straight through and trying to remember everything - although most people should already be aware of most of these manners tips.
Alaina Lightfoot
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Definitely a cute book if you're anything like me and find a lot of nostalgia, humor, and sometimes useful tips in etiquette books :)
Leslie
Aug 15, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: women
There's nothing really new here that you won't find in other etiquette books. Most of it is common sense.
Sylvia
Jul 14, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: those who need reminding
A lot of this is conservative, old-school Western manners. Which some may find outdated, and some may find life-changing. Nothing wrong with learning the basics of being polite!
Melissa
Loved it!
Lauren
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Read this to get it off my shelf. Heterocentric, dated, uninteresting, reads as though it was written for aliens newly arrived on earth instead of women.
Tamara
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Most of it is common sense, but I do love my etiquette books.
Becky
Sep 24, 2008 rated it liked it
It's a pretty good review / education on basic manners. Although I did laugh (out loud) at some of the suggestions. :)
Candy Cheung
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
This book teaches me etiquette, but only some of the tips apply since I am fourteen. Still, it is overall enjoyable and reminds me to improve myself constantly.
Elizabeth
Dec 03, 2011 rated it liked it
My friend loaned me this book when I asked for etiquette tips prior to attending a formal diner. A refreshing reminder of the little things in life we tend to forget.
Sheri
Jan 25, 2008
Kylie
Oct 12, 2015
Elvira Lupsa
rated it did not like it
Jul 14, 2012
Dec 17, 2007
BookMaus
Nov 30, 2007
« previous 1 3 next »

• The 57 Bus: A True Story of Two Teenagers and the Crime That Changed Their Lives
  • We Should Hang Out Sometime: Embarrassingly, a True Story
  • The Rest of Us Just Live Here
  • Nexus (The Androma Saga #2)