Start by marking “I Trust When Dark My Road: A Lutheran View of Depression” as Want to Read:
I Trust When Dark My Road: A Lutheran View of Depression

I Trust When Dark My Road: A Lutheran View of Depression

4.52  ·  Rating details ·  61 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Delving into the somewhat taboo topic of clergy and mental illness, this 100-page book published by LCMS World Relief and Human Care offers a rare glimpse into one LCMS pastor’s personal journey through depression while remaining reliant upon God’s grace. The book also offers suggestions to help a loved one battling depression.
Published July 2009 by LCMS World Relief and Human Care

To ask other readers questions about I Trust When Dark My Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Trust When Dark My Road

Dan
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book should become a "Lutheran classic." It is disturbing to imagine how many pastors have engaged the same struggles as Peperkorn, all the while denying themselves the same grace they are called to give out to others. This book reminds all Christians that the Lord has not called them to be "supermen/women," but to make good use of the gift of faith in the midst of personal struggles and depression. Pastors especially should read this, whether they think they are depressed or not.
Becky Gust
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although the book is written specifically to pastors who may suffer from mental health issues, I believe everyone can benefit from reading this book. While I am not a pastor, I am a pastor's wife. Many people are often surprised when they hear I suffer from the crippling effects of severe depression/anxiety. Pastor Peperkorn's account of his struggles with depression closely reflect that of my own. I have been meaning to read this book for some time. But I picked it up yesterday as I am really s ...more
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is for pastors and you can extrapolate good information from it but it is focused on pastors.
Jim B
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: pastors, depressed people
A free copy of this book is downloadable from the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod web site: http://www.lcms.org/page.aspx?pid=726...

In many ways, this is an important work on the subject of depression. It will challenge those who believe that depression is a sin, or mistake depression for laziness, unfaithfulness to the call to ministry, or mere negative thinking. Pastor Peperkorn speaks the language of Christians, and yet describes the stages of his depression in a way that forces you to ask, wh
Debbie Hoskins
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any religious person suffering with negative emotional issues.
Recommended to Debbie by: Found Pr. Todd on Protect Us From All Anxiety review.
I was able to download the booklet for free.
I'm in the middle of a flare-up of my own anxiety and depression, so Pastor Pweperkorn's honest descriptions of his experiences and how he dealt with it is very helpful. I don't feel so alone and his advice of finding ways to rest and heal are helpful. His discussion on pastor burn-out can be applied to other professions, which is what I really need to look at. I also need to examine what my choices are and choose wisely. I agree with Pastor Peperkorn
Jeremiah Gumm
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone dealing with depression or ministering to someone with depression
This is an impressive book and one I found to be extremely helpful when ministering to members who were dealing with clinical depression or whose loved ones had been diagnosed. I have copies for myself and for our church library, although I have had to replace copies as I have handed this book out to those who needed it.

This book should be a standard text for reading in pastoral counseling and I hope to recommend it to the pastoral theology department at Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary for use there
Beth Nieman
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who live with someone who is depressed, people who are or think they might be depressed
This is a short, heartfelt, first-person account of a pastor's personal experience with depression. It was helpful in describing what struggles a depressed person faces in trying to fulfill his day-to-day responsibilities. I learned about how exhausted a depressed person can become by doing even the smallest tasks, and how overwhelming life can become. I also learned that there are things a depressed person and his family can do to help ease the burden of depression.
Andy Stark
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It should go without saying, but Pastors need a pastor as well! This book is great for aspiring pastors, current pastors, and laymen all the same. We share our life and burdens with each other, but it's not without a cost to all of us. Thx Pr. Pepperkorn for opening up to the world and showing us again that "His strength is made perfect in our weakness" and that we may fall sometimes, but God's always there to comfort and reassure us that He's in control. Great resource!
Jane
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a good one for anyone dealing with depression. He describes what depression is and that it is a medical condition. Peperkorn also tells his personal story in detail that one can feel his pain. He also gives ways a person can cope in addition to medication and therapy.

If you or a loved one dealing with depression, this is a book to read.
Cynthia
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting bio of clinical depression from a Pastor's point of view. This book hit my radar when a friend read it, and it seemed like something interesting to help understand some of the problems of those I know suffering from depression. It's a bit eye-opening.
Emily Cook
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-life
A must read for anyone touched by depression.
Jenn
Nov 25, 2012
Steve
Jul 02, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Rev. Todd A. Peperkorn was educated at Concordia University, Nebraska (BA) and Concordia Theological Seminary in Fort Wayne, Indiana (MDIV, STM). His writings have been published in Logia, Concordia Theological Quarterly, the Concordia Historical Institute Quarterly, and Issues in Christian Education. He also served as founder and editor of Higher Things Magazine for its first five years.

Pastor Pe
More about Todd A. Peperkorn...
“How did I get to the place where I would be considering that darkest of all escapes — suicide — on the day when we commemorate our Lord’s death for us all? That is the question this story seeks to answer.” 0 likes