Start by marking “A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder (Inspector Singh Investigates #1)” as Want to Read:
A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder (Inspector Singh Investigates #1)

A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder (Inspector Singh Investigates #1)

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  2,013 Ratings  ·  297 Reviews
Inspector Singh is in a bad mood. He's been sent from his home in Singapore to Kuala Lumpur to solve a murder that has him stumped. Chelsea Liew – the famous Singaporean model – is on death row for the murder of her ex-husband. She swears she didn't do it, he thinks she didn't do it, but no matter how hard he tries to get to the bottom of things, he still arrives back at t ...more
Published 2009 by Piatkus

To ask other readers questions about A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Tea Jovanović
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
pravo je vreme da upoznate inspektora Singa i pratite ga u njegovim avanturama po egzoticnim zemljama... krimici koji nas upoznaju s dalekim svetovima i kulturama... prva dva naslova objavljena su na srpskom...
i.
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it
The story takes place in Kuala Lumpur, one of my favourite cities in the world, mainly because it is a modern melting pot of several cultures and traditions. The novel depicts this mixture of races and ways of living perfectly.

Inspector Singh , the policeman from Singapore in charge of investigating the murder, is a very likeable and peculiar character that will appeal to fans of detective stories.

The book is an easy read to enjoy before, during or after visiting beautiful Malaysia.

click here to
John
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad story at all. I liked that while older and overweight, Singh is more like Colombo than a bumbling Clouseau. Plot was well-developed enough that I'm looking forward to reading another adventure, although perhaps not the next one as its plot doesn't really appeal to me. I do like that the author sets the stories in different countries, rather than just tiny Singapore.
Remi
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Inspector Singh Investigates" is a series of murder-mystery novels by Shamini Flint which, I have to say, have kept my interest several books on. I picked up this first book in the series (each book places the lead character in a different country--so far all in Asia) without much hope for even finishing it. But I did. And then bought the 2nd and 3rd novels in the series. So far there are 5 and I will definitely be picking up the rest at some point.

Inspector Singh is a detective in Singapore's
Bill
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love crime fiction set in exotic locales (at least they are exotic locales to me). This excellent book is the first in a series featuring Inspector Singh, a policeman from Singapore, who in this book, is trying to solve a murder in Malaysia.

This book has everything a good crime novel should have; excellent writing, a host of interesting characters (including many suspects with a good motive), and wonderful descriptions of the above-mentioned exotic locale. And on top of that, I didn't figure o
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, 2016
A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder is the first volume in Shamini Flint's Inspector Singh series. This detective novel, more in the 'classic' or 'golden age' British style than the American hard-boiled one, delivered the good stuff: while the majority of my teenaged students reported that they found the book slow and boring, and the many characters hard to keep track of, it has proved to be very effective for the particular English course that I teach, where we study the representations of cultura ...more
LJ
First Sentence: The accused, Chelsea Liew, was in court.

Inspector Singh has been sent from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur to investigate the case of a former model, Chelsea Liew, accused of murdering her ex-husband. Involved in a bitter dispute over the custody of their children, Chelsea, in court, threatened to kill her ex, and was the obvious suspect after his being shot. In spite of the evidence, Singh is less certain of her guilt and, working with Inspector Mohammad, dedicates himself to finding
Martha Bullen
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wanted to enjoy this book. I picked it up because the back cover copy said it will appeal to fans of two of my favorite mystery series, The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency and Colin Cotterill's Dr. Siri books set in Laos.

Sadly, I found this novel derivative and disappointing. The premise is that a "portly detective" from Singapore is sent to Malaysia to look into a high-profile murder involving a Singapore citizen. A former beauty queen was accused of killing her wealthy and abusive husband.

I fo
Clare O'Beara
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: asia-crime, nature
If you are not from or well travelled in Asia, the initial attraction of this series will be the modern, exotic locales. I previously read the tale set in Beijing and have another book on the shelf. As far as I can judge, the author provides a good picture of the places we visit, with their appeal to tourists and friendly rivalries of neighbouring countries added. Inspector Singh is a Sikh but not, we gather, a wholly devout one, who is quietly married, clean-living but too fond of his food. He ...more
Garren
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
While I appreciated learning a bit about a contemporary setting that I knew nothing about, the writing itself was a bit of a torment. I was reminded of the 80s style disaster book where point of view cycles constantly through about five characters in a way that happens to give the audience a too-neatly-timed presentation of the overall happening. Each point of view segment tended to start by reviewing the "stinger" from the end of the last related segment. In the middle, there would be a bunch o ...more
Rachel
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, fiction, mystery-etc
This is a nice little comfort read, good for picking up at random times when you want to be entertained but can't invest a lot of time and concentration. The protagonist is very likeable--there's something fun about the Dysfunctional Male Detective just being a little quirky, overweight, and unable to follow rules, as opposed to having A Dark Side (not that I have anything against detectives with a dark side). Also, it's fun to read a book set in a country you're completely unfamiliar with. Not ...more
Roberta
May 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Couldn't finish this. The story was so derivative and others have done it much better. This was just tedious.
cloudyskye
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This was surprisingly good. I found this series while searching for something else really - crime stories set in Korea or perhaps something new from Vish Puri, Tarquin Hall's Indian detective.

Well written, interesting characters, a good story and plenty of information on environmental and other issues in places I've known very little about.
I'll definitely read on.
Alfred Haplo
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The mystery is solved, now that I have reached the bottom of it. The mystery being my curiosity about a story set in an exotic locale, the first of many Asian countries, in Sharmini Flint’s Inspector Singh series titled A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder. The murder is indeed peculiar, for the solving was most unorthodox and the mystery rather bland. But spiced with plentiful local flavors from two frenemy countries, Malaysia and neighboring Singapore, the entertainment is kicked up a notch.

For be
Deviki
Dear sweet god …… this book was tough to read..........no, not because the story was difficult to follow but it felt like a chore to read it. The murder case is "peculiar" just like the book title say, but if I’m being honest ……. half the time I’m seriously annoyed with the way the book is written.

Sigh......let's get the darn Malaysian Elephant out of the room...shall we?

When I read this book's synopsis I knew surely there will be this “holier than thou” vibe from Singaporean’s POV about Malays
Barbara Mitchell
Cathy of the Kittling:Books blog has been writing about Inspector Singh books for a while now and her reviews were so funny I just had to try one. I borrowed this one from the library. It turns out Cathy is right; I'm going to look for the rest of the series now.

Inspector Singh is a police detective in Singapore. For this case he has been sent to Kuala Lumpur to investigate the case of a former model from Singapore who has been accused of killing her ex-husband. Since Singh is obese and unused t
Biogeek
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
The first in the Inspector Singh series of investigations across South East Asia, this one did not grab me as quickly as the others. While the case, beautiful Chelsea Liew is accused of murdering her amoral, philandering, abusive and faith-swapping husband, has all the ingredients of a good murder mystery, Flint spends far too much time on what seems to be a pet obsession; how Singaporeans differ from all their neighbors, in this case Malaysians. The early pages that should have been page-turner ...more
Cleffairy
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
First of all, I have to say that I find it difficult to start this book, because the first chapter was very descriptive, horrifying and not to mention absolutely morbid. I could barely stop myself from retching when I read the first chapter of Inspector Singh Investigates: A Deadly Cambodian Crime Spree. Ms. Flint did a very good job with the opening salvo.

The opening salvo was too good, in fact that it almost scares me from reading further. But as I flip the pages, I found that it’s not all mor
Felix
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent whodunit with just the right blend of local colour and classic genre tropes. I will certainly be reading the next installment in the series.
ns510
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Rusalka
Fun, international, cozy-esq read (although the subject matter is a bit full on for a cozy). I found this a bit harder to read than I expected, so took me a couple of days instead of the rip through in an afternoon. But still enjoyed it a lot, and I will be interested to meet Inspector Singh somewhere else around the world.
Nene La Beet
I read very few crime novels these days, but read a very favourable review somewhere of this and decided to give it a go. Also, I like to try to read more books from outside my very anglo-oriented world. This one is - surprise! - Malaysian. I think I can safely say that I knew NOTHING about Malaysia. Now I know a teensy weensy bit. And, I was well entertained along the way. Very few people die violent deaths in this novel and the overweight inspector Singh is a very likable figure. Next time I n ...more
Vilia
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review from Backchatting Books

"A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder" features an unlikely hero, Inspector Singh. He has been seconded from Singapore to Malaysia to help solve the murder of Alan Lee, the ex-husband of famous Singaporean model, Chelsea Liew. Alan was shot at point blank range and Chelsea has the best motive as he was trying to take her children away from her. Although Singh thinks she is innocent, he blocked by the Malaysian police who are equally convinced of her guilt.

The book rest
Alan
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-abroad
I have mixed feelings about this one... "A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder" was a fairly easy read about Kuala Lumpur, Muslim Family Law, Pop Culture, Environmentalism and a little bit of Murder. Don't let the title mislead you; this book does not really have very much to do with the murder or the title character, Inspector Singh. There are a lot of other things going on, maybe too many, because the end result is a little unsatisfying and shallow.

Don't get me wrong. I liked a lot of the elements
Shirin
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Travellers, people who wants a quick read
I got this book at Changi Airport after reading the review in the Malaysian newspaper a couple of months back. I thought it would be an easy read and contemplating picking up all of the books in the series, BUT, i had already in my arms a bunch of books. I push back greed and put the others back and paid for this one.

I enjoyed reading this book, it is easy to read and needs not much engagement with the grey matter. I must admit, I was feeling rather defensive, being a Malaysian myself, when she
Enzo
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime
Goodreads another example were a 3.5 Star is really what it should be. This book is Shamini Flint's introduction to Inspector Singh the titular character and one that I expect to read more in the future. Inspector Singh will need to live up to classics like Hercule Poirot, who despite appearances seemed to be able to solve the unsolvable mystery. Crime-Mystery are always fascinating because they are made to engage you and keep you guessing with ever more clues. Its Velma vs You, care to wager? T ...more
Gita Madhu
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Indians, Malaysians, Singaporeans, Asians, anyone who loves crime fiction
Shelves: crime
Inspector Singh's visit to Malaysia took me on a nostalgia trip. Although a sentence from the book has been credited with being possibly the worst sentence ever, the author has the talent to bring to life the characters and the settings.
I, for one, am delighted, as a non-European brought up exclusively with English as "mother tongue, to find a more culturally appropriate alternative to my favourite genre (Crime Fiction).
For years I've had to satisfy my cravings for this genre with European autho
Sheng

Popsugar 2015 Reading Challenge.

A book that takes place in your hometown.

Its to be expected, the author takes a dig at the "usual suspect" i.e. proton cars, twin towers, corruption, bad traffic, dirty side walk and etc.

Excerpt below summarizes it all neatly.

“And yet, the inspector thought, Kuala Lumpur had a certain something. It was difficult to put his finger on what it was exactly. There was a sense of freedom perhaps, of anarchy even, that Singapore so sorely lacked. Perhaps it was the lac
Yoonmee
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: asia, mystery
I was originally intrigued by this book b/c I'd read a children's story by the same author and because I'd never read a murder mystery based in Asia with an Asian detective as the protagonist. Heck, not only is the main character an Asian man, he's Sikh! How many books reflect Moslem protagonists saving the day have you read? Me, I haven't read many.

While I appreciated the fact that the story was more or less a cut and dry murder mystery with none of that ridiculously over the top craziness, hor
Ann Giammona
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
An entirely satisfying murder mystery. This well plotted police procedural had me revising my theory of whodunit multiple times, but its biggest attraction is the window it provides on a society and culture I may never get to see first hand.

The book introduces Inspector Singh of the Singapore Police Force on assignment in Kuala Lumpur, Malayasia to ensure that Chelsea Liew, a Singaporean citizen who has been arrested for the murder of her wealthy Malaysian husband, is treated fairly by the Mala
http://testosteroneboosterbits.com/xt-genix-malaysia/ 1 1 Apr 05, 2017 11:03PM
  • The Case of the Missing Servant (Vish Puri, #1)
  • Devil-Devil (Kella and Conchita Mysteries #1)
  • Killed at the Whim of a Hat (Jimm Juree #1)
  • A Carrion Death (Detective Kubu, #1)
  • Wife of the Gods (Darko Dawson #1)
  • Gunshot Road (Emily Tempest, #2)
  • Death in August (Inspector Bordelli #1)
  • Death at the Chateau Bremont (Verlaque and Bonnet, #1)
  • White Sky, Black Ice (Nathan Active Mystery, #1)
  • Random Violence (Jade de Jong, #1)
  • Spider Trap (Brock & Kolla, #9)
  • Prey on Patmos  (Andreas Kaldis, #3)
  • The Messenger of Athens (The Greek Detective #1)
  • Where Death Delights (Dr Richard Pryor Mystery #1)
Shamini Flint lives in Singapore with her husband and two children. She began her career in law in Malaysia and also worked at an international law firm in Singapore. She travelled extensively around Asia for her work, before resigning to be a stay-at-home mum, writer, part-time lecturer and environmental activist, all in an effort to make up for her 'evil' past as a corporate lawyer!

Shamini write
More about Shamini Flint

Inspector Singh Investigates (7 books)
  • A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul (Inspector Singh Investigates #2)
  • The Singapore School of Villainy (Inspector Singh Investigates #3)
  • A Deadly Cambodian Crime Spree (Inspector Singh Investigates #4)
  • A Curious Indian Cadaver (Inspector Singh Investigates #5)
  • A Calamitous Chinese Killing (Inspector Singh Investigates #6)
  • A Frightfully English Execution (Inspector Singh Investigates #7)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Birdman
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“Kuala Lumpur had a certain something… There was a sense of freedom perhaps, of anarchy even, that Singapore so sorely lacked. Perhaps it was the lack of deference to authority, the physical space, the ability to take a step back and enjoy a moment of quite that lent Kuala Lumpur its atmosphere. Singaporeans were always adding to the list of reasons each one kept to hand, in case they met a Malaysian, of why it was so much better on the island than the peninsula. They ranged from law and order to cleanliness, from clean government to good schools, and always ended on the strength of the Singaporean economy. But in the end, the Malaysian would nod as if to agree to the points made – and then shrug to indicate that they probably wouldn’t trade passports, not really. And if pressed for a reason they would fall back on that old chestnut which somehow seemed to capture everything that was wrong about Singapore – but your government bans chewing gum. The nanny state and the police state all rolled into one.” 9 likes