Start by marking “Getting Organized: Improving Focus, Organization and Productivity” as Want to Read:
Getting Organized: Improving Focus, Organization and Productivity

Getting Organized: Improving Focus, Organization and Productivity

Getting Organized is a collection of simple ideas that address at least six major issues that could be generating chaos and disorder in your life. The ideas are presented in a simple format, with specific suggestions on how to put each idea to work, so busy people can find the time to read and try them. Even if you've tried unsuccessfully to get organized before, consider ...more
Published September 30th 2004 by Dawson Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Getting Organized, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Organized

James
Jan 23, 2017 James rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Sort of helpful, yet sort of dated. I bought this for one of my employees and decided to read it first. When I give it to her I'll suggest she pick a few ideas and try them out, rather than trying to implement each suggestion.

The last 8-10 chapters felt rushed and tacked on, but overall the book offers several potentially useful tips for becoming more organized. I'm a little wary of the amount of paper that would be required to follow some of the suggestions. I also think a software
Stacie
Jun 18, 2013 Stacie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was an extremely quick read with bite-sized chapters, each topic just brushed over quickly. Much of it is intended to be applied in a work environment. The author breaks down his filing system method quite thoroughly. It may be useful for some, but as a stay-at-home/homeschooling mom I found that I organize many of the materials in his system in one of three places: a 1.5" binder, a calendar, and the Notes App on my phone.

In one of my favorite chapters he breaks down how to handle incoming
Pete
Jan 05, 2013 Pete rated it liked it
This book has some good new ideas, and a lot of old ideas being claimed as new. I would immagine it would work well if you had a filing cabinet at the side of your desk, but as I don't, half of this book was a waste for me. still, I wish I had this back in college or grad school. So overall a good book that is easy to read and follow... but which makes too many assumptions about the reader's workspace. 3/5 stars, maybe 3.5 .
Kynthia
Dec 29, 2012 Kynthia rated it liked it
I like the easy steps shown to help you get organized. My favorite part was how to organize folders and the tips on reading. Everything else did not pertain to my need. This a great book to help you in the parts you need help with. The rest is just interesting and can be moved past.
Judy
Jun 11, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it
NYU Stern recommends this book for MBA candidates. It's really excellent! I would recommend it to anyone, regardless of how well organized they already are. It's a very quick read and easy to take or leave each suggestion. I'm going to try the alternative to a to do list.
Carla
Feb 22, 2012 Carla rated it liked it
overall it had some handy tips and good advice. I wish somethings would have been looked at a bit deeper. not sure I got all I wanted out of it in terms of focus. quick read with some things ill be sharing with my office.
Karla
Oct 10, 2013 Karla rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
I liked that this book was in small chapters to let me think about the ideas that were proposed. I liked the presentation of each point, what it meant and why it mattered. I liked that organization was more than just having a place to put things.
Rebekah
A reductivist version of GTD and a couple other systems. Probably a good start for beginners!
Josh Franklin
Sep 02, 2013 Josh Franklin rated it liked it
Boring and often irrelevant. Incredibly brief chapters lack any meat
Taylor Baker
Pretty good

Pretty good

has good idea that would help one become more organized and is worth giving some of the options a try.
Meka
Oct 14, 2012 Meka rated it really liked it
There are some really useful practical ideas in this book, however there are some outdated ideas as well.
Christie
May 02, 2012 Christie rated it it was ok
For an organizational book it was very disorganized. If you do not work in an office with file cabinets or if you work in the customer service industry most of these hints will not help you.
Calum Mcneish
Jan 30, 2013 Calum Mcneish rated it really liked it
I like how the book was presented, in very short chapters, each covering the different ideas making it easy to turn back to it as a point of reference.
Munam884
Munam884 rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Lauren Goldfish
Lauren Goldfish rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2013
courtney carpenter
courtney carpenter rated it did not like it
Nov 23, 2015
Kelli
Kelli rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2015
Killian
Killian rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Stuart Noggle
Stuart Noggle rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2011
Randi
Randi rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2013
Duncan
Duncan rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Bryan Salinas
Bryan Salinas rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2014
Jen Zee
Jen Zee rated it did not like it
Jul 28, 2015
Todd Mckeever
Todd Mckeever rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Joe
Joe rated it it was ok
May 18, 2017
Dl
Dl rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Attack Your Day!: Before It Attacks You
  • How To Declutter Your Home And Your Life: Minimalist Concepts To Help You Start Organizing Today
  • Eliminate Chaos: The 10-Step Process to Organize Your Home and Life
  • The Resume is Dead
  • 52 Mondays: The One Year Path to Outrageous Success & Lifelong Happiness
  • To-Do List Makeover: A Simple Guide to Getting the Important Things Done (Productive Habits Book 2)
  • Organize Yourself!
  • Getting Results the Agile Way: A Personal Results System for Work and Life
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions When It Counts
  • When Organizing Isn't Enough: SHED Your Stuff, Change Your Life
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • Success is Not an Accident: Change Your Choices Change Your Life
  • Get Organized! Your 12 Month Home Clutter Killer Guide : 2nd Edition (Revised) : Organizing The House, Decluttering And How To Clean Your Home To Perfection (Gleam Guru)
  • Secrets of a Working Dog: Unleash Your Potential and Create Success
  • Mind Maps: Quicker Notes, Better Memory, and Improved Learning 2.0
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • Assertiveness: How to Stand Up for Yourself and Still Win the Respect of Others
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work

“Go choose a partner right now.” 0 likes