Start by marking “The Body Is No Machine (New Issues Poetry & Prose)” as Want to Read:
The Body Is No Machine (New Issues Poetry & Prose)

The Body Is No Machine (New Issues Poetry & Prose)

Poetry.
Published March 1st 2007 by New Issues Press

To ask other readers questions about The Body Is No Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body Is No Machine

Alarie
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
As often happens, I read a poem on line that I loved so much that I wrote to the author AND bought this book. The poem was “I Tell Death, Eventually” in/on Rattle (http://www.rattle.com/i-tell-death-ev...). That poem demonstrates the accessible style of poetry that I most often enjoy. This collection was much more erudite, at least in vocabulary. I found it a bit off-putting to stop in almost every poem and consult my iPad for a definition. Normally, that would be the kiss of death for Perrine’s ...more
Ann Beej
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Insightful and fascinating
Mary
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Today I read Jennifer Perrine's The Body is No Machine. (Well, all but two poems that I couldn't finish, too squicky.)

Only the title poem uses machine imagery, metaphor, conceit, synecdoche, anything to talk about the body. No other poem. Startling and impressive.

She had some wondrous sound in some of the poems. (She taught me that rhyme without meter is nearly wasted because the ear needs the beat to anticipate the sound/closure.)
I loved all the biological metaphor; it's educated and I apprecia
Mark
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads

Disclosure: I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

Sometimes I think poems can be read too quickly to understand them fully. The title of this collection is The Body Is No Machine, but these poems need to be well oiled(i.e. read). A slow digest is needed.

A lot of her language and images are wonderful. For example:

"this is the work of all infants: to hold // the world inside them, piece by piece: to turn / each sliver about on the tongue: a shape // in a tangram: a code the child's mou

Alex
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
this book is dope. she wraps the body in such tight, lyrical language.

also, this is my fav. poem of hers, which isn't in the book, but as soon as i saw this poem i knew i needed to go out and buy the book:

If Life Gives You Lemons, Make

your mouth into a trough, a spout
from which that sour sauce will pour,
pulp and spittle swimming down your
chin, eyes pinched shut, each acid thought

welling under the tongue. Thin slice
of pain wedged on the salty rim
of your face, let its tart grace skim
your glass ne
Gerry LaFemina
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I got to see Perrine read two poems this weekend, and she blew me away--blew me away enough for me to buy this book, which is filled with poems that reveal a chimeric persona in the struggles of becoming (the way we all struggle with becoming). In poems that are smart and formally engaging (free verse poems, concrete poems (i.e., "Corset"), sonnets...), and also filled with the emotions of doubt and love and ecstasy, Perrine shows her understanding that poetry is an art of the dialectic: head an ...more
Kent
Nov 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
What I most admire in this book is the warmth and tenderness available in a poem like "Because You Have No Sense of Smell." I believe in and trust this speaker, so that when I find the ambiguous peace proposed in a poem like "Genesis: The Seventh Day," the effect is all the more halting.
Chris
Apr 26, 2012
Mary Vermillion
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
My favorite poem in this lovely collection is "For D., After Three Months on Testosterone," which poet Jennifer Perrine wrote in response to a friend's gender transition. The opening lines capture the mixed emotions I experienced when my partner, Ben, transitioned:

"When you sent me that clip
of your voice, I cried. Stupid, I admit
to mourn half an octave,

to elegize vibration..."

There is both grief and guilt in these lines. When Ben started transitioning some fifteen years ago, I first felt mostly
Allison HedgeCoke
  • Carolina Ghost Woods
  • The Orchard
  • Men in the Off Hours
  • Tonight No Poetry Will Serve
Jennifer Perrine is the author of No Confession, No Mass, winner of the 2016 Publishing Triangle Audre Lorde Award and the 2014 Prairie Schooner Book Prize in Poetry; In the Human Zoo, recipient of the 2010 Agha Shahid Ali Poetry Prize; and The Body Is No Machine, winner of the 2008 Devil’s Kitchen Reading Award in Poetry.

For more information, visit www.jenniferperrine.org.