Start by marking “Limits of Language: Almost Everything You Didn't Know You Didn't Know about Language and Languages” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Answers all your questions about language...even the ones you never thought to ask.

How did...
• the discovery of a mysterious Persian mummy lead to a murder investigation?
• the word "dord" come to appear in English, and then disappear again?
• a border collie named Rico learn 200 words?

What is...
• the loudest language?
• the worst dictionary ever?
• the most difficult word to
Published July 1st 2008 by William James & Company (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Limits of Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Limits of Language

David
"Limits of Language" arrived today from Amazon. I've never smoked crack, but reading this book approximates what I imagine it would feel like -- an initial rush of pure pleasure, followed by the irresistible craving for just one more bump, yielding to that craving over and over until - six hours later - you find yourself surrounded by cats not fed, laundry not done, unwashed dishes, unpaid bills, and yet you still can't stop yourself. You want more. You want it to last forever. Damn you, Mikael ...more
C.
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to C. by: Language log + David G
Finished! And it was amazing, though the humour did get a little on the clunky side towards the end. I would like also to note that Parkvall uses the feminine pronoun as the default. In any case, I think I know what I'll be getting for my birthday this year.

_____________________________

I suppose it's too much to hope that a book such as this would be completely accurate, but it certainly seems to come as close as a book could. Parkvall cites his sources meticulously, and explains his methodology
Trevor
May 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Trevor by: Choupette White
Shelves: science, language
There is hardly any point in doing a review of this book when David has done this one - http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/.... And Choupette has done this one - http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/....

I finished this today – there is something to be said for getting the flu. The end wasn’t nearly as good at some of the stuff at the start, but there was still enough to keep me interested.

One of my favourite bits was called Kofi walk go market – ‘Well, this is the other one, which translates a
Lena
Dec 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Mikael Parkvall is a linguist who is fascinated by language. If you're not equally fascinated, it's probably because you simply don't know enough about it. In LoL, Parkvall does his best to rectify that by pulling together every unusual, quirky, unexpected and sometimes downright hilarious fact about language you can possibly imagine, along with quite a few you can't.

This book does not have a narrative structure. Rather, it picks a topic - say, "How Many Words Are There?" or "Language Myths," an
Jafar
Dec 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Main Entry: lim-it
Pronunciation: \ˈli-mət\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French limite, from Latin limit-, limes boundary
Date: 14th century
1 a : something that bounds, restrains, or confines b : the utmost extent

I picked up this book thinking that it was about the limits of language as in the things that language cannot express. That really intrigued me. How can one write a book and explore, using words, the things that language cannot express? It turned out that the book
Terence
This book was a bit of a disappointment: Not quite what I was expecting. As the author himself notes in his introduction, it's a Guiness Book of World Records-like compilation of factoids about language and linguistics. There's some interesting "stuff" but there's also a lot of "stuff" that's not, and most of the entries are frustratingly short.

And - the copy editor in me froths - the typos are legion. The most egregious pops up on page 320 of my edition where the entry "Person Marking on Nouns"
Georg
May 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Douglas Adams fans
Shelves: english, non-fiction
Definitively everything (and more) I didn't know I didn't know about languages. And one of the most beautiful Douglas Adams-non-quotes I have ever read:

"Kiowa uses a curious way of number marking somtimes referred to as "inversive marking". The same morpheme, in Kiowa -go indicates singular or plural depending on which number is the least expected." (p. 305)

So the book would deserve 5 stars but I had to reduce one of them due to the redundant use of exclamation marks!
Dokusha
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: language-general
Dieses Buch ist eine Art Äquivalent zum "Guiness Buch der Rekorde", nur halt auf Sprachen bezogen. Allerding führt es nicht nur Rekorde auf (soweit dies möglich ist, da es oft keine verläßlichen oder eindeutig meßbaren Zahlen gibt), sondern auch allerhand Kurioses, viele interessante Fakten zu Sprachen und Sprache im Allgemeinen und auch zu Linguisten.
Das Themengebiet ist dabei sehr weit gefächert, wie man auch an den beispielhaften Fragen aus der Verlagsbeschreibung sehen kann, und reicht von d
André
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to André by: Balthasar Bickel
Shelves: linguistics
This book is great! Hilarious! So many interesting trivia facts about languages and language in general. And also about linguistics and linguists. Plus, everything is well-sourced. I love the author's way of writing. "Limits of Languages" is really entertaining. I wonder if the abbreviation of the title is on purpose.
Soobie can't sleep at night
For what bathroom books are concerned, this one is a perfect example. Lots of teeny-tiny entries that were made to be savored while relaxing...

There were tons of facts out there. Some of them were curious, some of them... well, I didn't get them... Some other time I recognize a joke but I didn't understand the linguistic humor behind it. I guess a sort of map was necessary, though. The author mentioned tons of languages I didn't even know existed.

It started good, with all the curiosity. Then it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Verbatim: From the bawdy to the sublime, the best writing on language for word lovers, grammar mavens, and armchair linguists
  • Bastard Tongues: A Trailblazing Linguist Finds Clues to Our Common Humanity in the World's Lowliest Languages
  • Things That Make Us (Sic): The Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar Takes on Madison Avenue, Hollywood, the White House, and the World
  • Far from the Madding Gerund: And Other Dispatches from Language Log
  • The Lexicographer's Dilemma: The Evolution of "Proper" English, from Shakespeare to South Park
  • The Language Wars: A History of Proper English
  • Spoken Here: Travels Among Threatened Languages
  • Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure and Preposterous Words
  • Alphabet Juice: The Energies, Gists, and Spirits of Letters, Words, and Combinations Thereof; Their Roots, Bones, Innards, Piths, Pips, and Secret Parts, Tinctures, Tonics, and Essences; With Examples of Their Usage Foul and Savory
  • You Are What You Speak: Grammar Grouches, Language Laws, and the Politics of Identity
  • In the Land of Invented Languages: Esperanto Rock Stars, Klingon Poets, Loglan Lovers, and the Mad Dreamers Who Tried to Build a Perfect Language
  • Quest for Kim: In Search of Kipling's Great Game
  • Atlas of World History: Concise Edition
  • Inventing English: A Portable History of the Language
  • The First Word: The Search for the Origins of Language
  • Lost Languages: The Enigma of the World's Undeciphered Scripts
  • Biting the Wax Tadpole: Confessions of a Language Fanatic
  • The Superior Person's Book of Words

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »