Start by marking “Standing for Something: 10 Neglected Virtues That Will Heal Our Hearts and Homes” as Want to Read:

In this national bestseller, the president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Gordon B. Hinckley, has created a classic look at the values that can change our world--and how to stand up for them. Drawing on anecdotes from his much-admired life of faith and service, as well as examples from American culture today, he examines ten virtues that have always il ...more
Published March 20th 2001 by Harmony (first published February 22nd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Standing for Something, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Standing for Something

Michael
Aug 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
This is a very nice book about virtues. Mr. Hinckley was the head of the Mormon Church for many years, and wrote this book when he was 89 years old. I don't know very much about the Mormons (or rather, I don't understand very much about the Mormons!)but I thought this was wonderful.

Essentially, the author ask people to practice virtues. A virtue is a habit of good or right behavior; almost all virtues are applicable to people who believe in God, or who don't believe in God. Virtues are actions a
Meghan
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: religious
Wow what a world this could be if everyone followed the counsel in this book. What I really loved is that the he discusses things in such an optimistic and grandfatherly way. This book could be read by anyone - not just members. How on earth he has the time to read newspapers, magazines and fine literature is beyond me. I guess if he has the time, we all should - what an example! Reading this book makes you want to be a more excellent person that's for sure.
Keith
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fathers, mothers, sons, daughters
Shelves: religion
Just reading the introduction gives me a thrill as I see how clearly he understands the ills of our time and that the banishment of the name of God from the United States is deeply tied into the problems we are facing. As Margaret Thatcher said: "'You use the name of Deity in the Declaration of Independence and in the Constitution of the United States, and yet you cannot use it in the schoolroom.' Her words are a rebuke and an indictment of America." (Page xx)

"If we are to continue to have the f
Ashleigh Harris
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book for all around practical advice. Very well written from a very intelligent man. If I were going to give a book as a gift for practical advice in life, this is the one that I would give. It touches on a little bit of everything. Plus, the author was a studier of English Literature, which supports that fact that he is brilliant. :)
Elli Williams
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The kind of advice your grandpa would give you mixed with a happy young person's advice, mixed with a religious giant's advice. Very Good.
Ellen
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good advice and inspiration.

2017 challenge: a book written by someone you admire.
Kendel Christensen
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: The entire world
Amazing. Absolutely a must-own, must-read. This man distills centuries of wisdom of observation and insight for all--religious and non-religious alike.

“Surely all of us can find a way to incorporate into our daily lives a regular pattern of study, a regular opportunity to grow and absorb and learn from the great writers of the world. I am not suggesting that we become geniuses. Most of us will never fall within that designation. But I have concluded that the work of the world is done by basicall
Nathan Cunningham
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds, own
Gordon B. Hinckley was "my" prophet growing up, and reading this inspired work brought back many fond memories of hearing him speak. He always had such an optimistic view of life and humanity, and that attitude shines brightly here as he offers wise suggestions on how to live a happier, richer life. There's a lot I need to work on, but I've seen improvements in my own life as I've tried to put President Hinckley's words into practice. Though he was an LDS leader, he wrote this book in such a way ...more
Craig&kerri
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
You absolutely get drawn into this book. Mr. Hinckley has a wonderful sense of storytelling and sense of humor that makes sense of sometimes otherwise difficult to understand concepts. This man was truly awesome. You will feel a little better about yourself and the world around you each day you read this book and gives some very practical things each person can do to improve the world we live in every day.
Michelle Caudle
Aug 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
I've read this book twice but it was awhile back (I had more time to read back when I drove potato truck!!)and I really need to read it again. I do remember that I really enjoyed it and that it's one of those books that's good to read about once a year to remind you of some of the things we should be doing in our lives!!
Brent
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, lds
One evening when I was a kid, my family had an outing to L.A.'s Chinatown. We went into a gag shop where a plaque was displayed reading: "We get too soon old and too late smart." I've seen the message several times since. Gordon B. Hinckley authored this book when he was old and smart. If you haven't already read it, do it now; and be smart before you get old.
Mattaca Warnick
Jul 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians and moralists
Gordon B. Hinckley, president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, provides an overview of 10 forgotten virtues that should be rediscovered by mankind. This is not a Mormon book so much as it is a "moral" book--the principles taught here are non-denominational and could easily be espoused by anyone. An inspiring reminder of what's important.
Jack
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such great advice and certainly prophetic. I would recommend this book to anyone wondering or worried about the state of the world. President Hinckley (what I call him) has some excellent and exact advice for curing the ails of families communities and the world. Timely and timeless messages from a truly extraordinary man.
Christina
Beautifully written book about how we can turn our nation around. President Hinckley writes to Americans in general - reminding us that he is a prophet for the world, not just members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I enjoy his powerful way with words and his humor.

I don't usually do this, but I'm going to type his main points in. President Hinckley spotlights 10 virtues that ... umm, read the book title and add "and nation" to the end.

1 - LOVE: One of the greatest challenges
Holli
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of simple, yet profound truths that inspired to me to try a little harder to be a little better. I read a chapter each morning as a daily devotional and his words resonated with me throughout the day. This is a great read - no matter what your religious affiliation may be!
Serepta
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely one of the most brilliant works from him. I love this book.
Brit Stanford
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this book. No matter who you or or what you believe. It is tender and brilliant and down-to-earth wise.
Sara ♥
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
I love President Hinckley! He's so awesome!

This book was really great. The way in which it was written reminded me of what I sometimes forget to think about, which is that the current President of the Church is not just the spiritual leader of our Church, but is the prophet for the WHOLE WORLD. And the target audience of this book is EVERYONE.

In this book, President Hinckley expressed his growing concerns (in his usual upbeat manner) about the way in which our society is progressing (or rather d
Sharon
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reread this for a book group coming up, looking for the three most impressive stories or anecdotes. Hinckley is very comfortable telling stories and giving anecdotes. I get the impression that he was well read and know from having seen him, when he was alive, how upbeat and positive a man he was. Each of the first 10 chapters defines a single virtue (love, honesty, work, for instance). The last 2 chapters talk about how marriage (chapter 11) and family (chapter 12) guard and cultivate, in prac ...more
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspire-me, spir-tual
O how I love and miss President Hinckley. His optimism and spirit practically drips off the pages! My favorite chapter was the one on leadership. I loved how he said we must realize that the price of leadership is loneliness. Favorite quote-

“Love is the very essence of life. It is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Yet it is not found only at the end of the rainbow. Love is at the beginning also, and from it springs the beauty that arched across the sky on a stormy day. Love is the secur
Tesia
May 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
I am so disappointed to have read this boo. It is a ridiculous, self-serving book that uses self justification for each of the author's virtues. The virtues he touts are not represented within the examples in the books. You cannot preach about love, mercy, debts, and civility and then cite your role models as U.S. presidents, even specifically mentioning Thomas Jefferson, without explaining how that could be since they live lives facilitating debts, lacking civility for other cultures and races, ...more
Mike
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love President Hinckley's clear, direct, inspired way of speaking. This come through in his writing as well. You can almost see/hear him behind the pulpit saying most of the things in this book. (Which he has in various settings.)

I felt the first half of the book was very uplifting. I felt inspired and uplifted. His words about optimism were particularly meaningful to me. My only thing was that the book did seem to get a bit redundant near the end (I felt like he was simply re-telling the same
John
Jan 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This was an enjoyable read. I miss President Gordon B. Hinckley. Few people have influenced my life the way he has. It wasn't possible for me to read this book without hearing his voice in my mind. His mannerisms, expressions, and inflections all seemed to be present. But more than the familiarity of his message, I love President Hinckley’s outlook on life. He has an optimism that is realistic. He exemplifies a perfect brightness of hope and how to get there. While life is full of difficult chal ...more
Shera
May 06, 2008 added it
Very nice; very sweet; and oh so dear to me; Not only do I love this old-fashioned book on virtues (we all need a good old-fashioned reminder on how things used to be, and how we can keep some of that in our life today); but you can't even imagine the feeling of reading this book for comfort after losing my Dad, and then unpacking one of his boxes and dusting it off. Just knowing we each had it on our bookshelf is sustaining; remarkable; soothing; eternal. I really enjoy this book; love, Shera
Dawn
Dec 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone over 16
I really appreciated how this book pointed out the steps of a smart relationship not only with yourself, but with God. Pres. Hinckley really resounded on the characteristics of a sound moral person and how to spread those morals to others through example, family, and other means. By reading this book, one can really find something to stand for - stand up for, stand up to, and stand up period. It helps you find what you're willing to stand up for, also. Great book!
Darci
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Goodbye Dr. Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra, Dr. Phil, Zig Ziglar, Stephen Covey, etc.... All we need is this book by Gordon B. Hinckley to become a good people, happy, and successful. Refining our values is the path to a better world. Parallels his book Way To Be! (written for YA). OK, not really goodbye to those others, they all have great insight and wisdom too, but it's all combined in Hinckley's book.
Rebecca
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church
An excellent look at what we can do to have happy lives, healthy homes and intact families. If the world took this book as seriously as they do Al Gore's, the world wouldn't need saving. It already would be. =)
Amber Hicken
Apr 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book that is a reminder to me of the many reasons why families and values are so important in my life. "No nation can rise above the strength of its homes or the virtue of its people."
Sukhada Chaudhary
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
A simple book about lost virtues that form the essence of who we are, as men and women. A great read if you want to reinstate the faith in the worldly ideals and virtues that make us all better human beings :)
Bryan Skelton
This is one of those books that I have to read once a year. It teaches me what I should be. "All of us need to learn that life is a mission and not simply a career.
  • No Doubt About It
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: David O. McKay
  • Our Search for Happiness
  • All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience
  • Small and Simple Things
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
President Hinckley was known, even at the age of 95, as a tireless leader who always put in a full day at the office and traveled extensively around the world to mix with Church members, now numbering nearly 13 million in 171 nations.

His quick wit and humor, combined with an eloquent style at the pulpit, made him one of the most loved of modern Church leaders. A profoundly spiritual man, he had a
“Let us never forget to pray. God lives. He is near. He is real. He is not only aware of us but cares for us. He is our Father. He is accessible to all who will seek Him.” 903 likes
“The willingness to forgive is a sign of spiritual and emotional maturity. It is one of the great virtues to which we all should aspire. Imagine a world filled with individuals willing both to apologize and to accept an apology. Is there any problem that could not be solved among people who possessed the humility and largeness of spirit and soul to do either -- or both -- when needed?” 834 likes