Start by marking “Monet & Oscar” as Want to Read:
Monet & Oscar

Monet & Oscar

Does Claude Monet, a painter with eight children, have room in his heart for one more? Oscar Bonhomme, an American soldier, is in a French Army hospital recovering from his wounds when he learns of his single mother's death. He remains in France to search for his only remaining family, his father, whom he doesn't know. She told him that his father is an Impressionist paint ...more
Published March 11th 2021 by Giverny Books

To ask other readers questions about Monet & Oscar, please sign up.
Joe Byrd Thanks. I'm glad you do. You are my most honest critic. The parts about Monet are true. The discussions with his friends are accurate but not quotes. …moreThanks. I'm glad you do. You are my most honest critic. The parts about Monet are true. The discussions with his friends are accurate but not quotes. Oscar and Isabelle are fiction. (less)

Start your review of Monet & Oscar
Denise
May 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, kindle
Oscar Bonhomme returned from WWI, suffering from the effects of a gas attack, while in the trenches of France. During his recovery in a military hospital, his mother had passed away. Instead of returning to his home in San Francisco, he decided to take up a job offer, which he had received. And what a job offer it was! To work in the gardens of Claude Monet at Givenchy! He decided, that in his spare time, he could try to find his father. His mother had only told him, that his father was a painte ...more
Julie
May 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book so much!!!! If I could hug it I would, but I have the Kindle version...LOL. If you are a lover of detailed and descriptive writing, flowers and art in any form (specifically Impressionism and Claude Monet), and a good love story, THIS BOOK IS FOR YOU!

Joe Byrd did such an outstanding job researching Claude Monet and it shows through and through in this book. The beautiful details of Monet's property in Giverny make you feel like you are there walking around it; from t
Drema Drudge
Apr 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Joe Byrd’s debut novel, Monet & Oscar, is a sweet tale of an American soldier, Oscar Bonhomme, and his search for his father, a man his recently deceased mother has only hinted about. He knows his father was an artist, an Impressionist, but he has precious little else to go on.

When fate brings Oscar, a career gardener, the opportunity to become artist Claude Monet’s gardener through his mother’s friend, Georges Clémenceau, Oscar’s life blooms as profusely as does Monet’s garden.

Oscar, a man of
Mary
May 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
great book
Jane
May 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Delightful!

Just a delightful, entertaining read. The book is primarily about love - friendship love, filial love, romantic love, community love - woven carefully throughout. And the knowledge I gained about Monet was just the icing on the cake. I also think it could be converted into a screenplay quite well.
Amy
May 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
The talents of Joe Byrd shines through in his debut, Monet and Oscar. I thought this read was pretty good. As an artist, I enjoyed the historical details and learning more about Claude Monet. It was entertaining to get a glimpse of the author’s vision of how he lived. I was instantly drawn to the character of Oscar. I wanted to keep reading to find out what would happen with him next. It was an interesting and unique story to read. I really liked it.

Monet and Oscar is getting four and a half st
Karen Siddall
May 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
From the charm of the 1920s to the wonderful characters, fictional and fictionalized, this book shines!

After the end of the first World War, American soldier Oscar Bonhomme awakens in a military hospital. He was being treated for multiple injuries he’d received in action on the battlefields of Meuse-Argonne. His return to consciousness was greeted with the news that his mother had passed away back home in San Francisco. She had been his only parent, a free spirit, who’d rubbed elbows in France i

Karen Wills
Jun 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Joe Byrd's decision to learn as much as possible about one artist proved a happy one for his readers. Oscar is an American veteran of WWI, searching for home and his own origins. He has only hints from his mother to follow to his own source. Could the great artist Monet be his father? The book provides a lovely sense of the life of an aging man who gave the world the beauty of Giverny and his own art.

It is historically accurate while introducing the fictional Oscar and Isabelle's love story. The
Emma