Start by marking “Entries: Poems by Wendell Berry” as Want to Read:
Entries: Poems by Wendell Berry

Entries: Poems by Wendell Berry

Entries is Wendell Berry's tenth collection of poems. This remarkable, eclectic gathering of ten years' work offers poems of remembrance and renewal, celebrating life's complexities from the domestic to the eternal. As husband and father, son and citizen, the poet explores with clear sureness his "membership" in his community and in the world. The heart of this collection ...more
Published April 19th 1994 by Pantheon (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Entries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Entries

Start your review of Entries: Poems by Wendell Berry
Jonfaith
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetshere
Five stars for In Extremis, an homage to his father. Wrenchingly beautiful. The rest is more love poem than pastoral, though Berry never quite leaves the farm.

I finished this sitting outside, just before dawn broke. The reader is quite vulnerable to a personal emotive inventory. Be wary.
Jim
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Often Wendell Berry writes poems that reflect his life on his Kentucky farm, as they reflect a life that has disappeared most elsewhere.

Berry is close to the land, both farmed and natural. His poems reflect that intimate knowledge and love.

Some of the poems in this collection, especially in Part 2, tell of his protest against the destruction of the natural world by manufactured poisons. These poems, published in 1994, have come to be. These poems are neither subtle nor beautiful.

Part 4 is an ext
Rick Davis
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, the-south
There were a couple of ideological clunkers here, but overall the poetry was beautiful. My wife knew when I'd been reading the book by the sniffling and misty eyes. Wendell Berry is just great.
Jim
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I first read Entries about 10 years ago. I like to return to it every now and then. There are some very fine poems in this collection. My favorite is The Blue Robe.

Wendell Berry, along with Donald Hall, and Hall's deceased wife Jane Kenyon, are three of my favorite poets. I list these three together because they all share a strong sense of place, community, and stewardship of the land and nature, but in a very grounded way, not flighty or "New Age-e."
Colleen O'Neill Conlan
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
It was The Wild Rose that brought me to this collection, and yes, that poem is lovely. The last section is a series of poems about his father: "he was / my enemy...[and] by God / the truest teacher in my life." The last poem, "Come Forth," is a stunner.
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been challenging myself to enjoy poetry as a part of my regular reading rhythm. Delightfully surprised to find a book of Wendell Berry poetry at the library, I brought the book home to examine how the novelist adapted to the poetic form. This can only be described as phenomenal. I read excerpts to my husband and his response was, “Wow. Where did this guy come from?” Worth the time to track down and read.
Eric Overby
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me, all of Wendell Berry's works are 5 stars so the rating system here is just how likely I am to reread it over and over. Having read Entries a couple years back, I read it again as if for the first time. It may now be my favorite of Wendell's poetry books. The Wild Rose has long been one of my favorite poems and each poem I read I wanted to mark as one to go back and read again.
Jamie Brame
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First book of Wendell Berry poems I've read. Especially great are the last ones about his father. Moving, deep, even sentimental (but not mushy). Loved these poems. Honest poems.
Micah McCarty
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. There was a section at the end of poems he had written about his father that were devastatingly beautiful. I can't imagine watching a parent slowly deteriorate into confusion and sickness. I know that day will come. And I know that on that day I will return to these poems as a source for my own struggles and healing. Wendell Berry is simply my favorite author. Everything he writes connects with me on so many levels. The book is worth the price simply for this one poem entitled For and Absen ...more
Jasonlylescampbell
Anglo-Saxon Protestent Heterosexual Men

Come, dear brothers,
let us cheerfully acknowledge
that we are the last hope of the world,
for we have no excuses,
nobody to blame but ourselves.
Who is going to sit at our feet
and listen while we bewail
our historical sufferings? Who
will ever believe that we also
have wept in the night
with repressed longing to become
our real selves? Who will
stand forth and proclaim
that we have virtues and talents
peculiar to our category? Nobody,
and that is good. For here we are
a
Carmen
Dec 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Berry is a fauxgressive Southern white dude writing for other fauxgressive Southern white dudes. An occasional poem is "ok" but mostly it's boring drivel that surely wouldn't find a publisher if not written by, you guessed it, a white dude. Immediately tossing this one into the donation pile.
Maughn Gregory
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
One is startled at how Berry moves between poems of human intimacy, community and relationship to nature, and poems of political diatribe -- until one realizes that they are two inseparable aspects of his wisdom: his take on what makes a worthwhile life and what makes that possible.
Tim
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely stunning. From his love poems, to those against the American way of overindulgence and greed, to the poignant looks at his father, Berry is at the top of my list of American poets.

If you don't read a lot of poetry (or any) this would be a great start!

Simply,

Tim
Eldonfoil TH*E Whatever Champion
Excellent first section. Fourth section was also of interest, but the middle sections were somewhat letdowns.
Kristen
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry

"You look at me, you give a light, which I bear and return, and we are held, and all is held, in this look- we burn and see by our own light."
Maddie Jaques
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will always love Berry's look at the simply life. I so enjoy his writings...I tend to quote him an awful lot...:)
Christine
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015, poetry
"The Reassurer" was AWESOME.
Rebekah
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my favorite book of poetry by one of my favorite poets
Patrick
Nov 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If nothing else, read the closing set of poems, In Extremis, about addressing his father's death. Hits the nail on the head.
Michelle
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Berry so wonderfully captures the beauty, the poignancy, and the meaning in the mundane activities of our daily life. The section of poems devoted to his father's final days is especially moving.
Joey
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I really liked the poems Berry wrote about his father - 4.5 stars.

The other poems were just okay.
Sarah Pascarella
Berry is my favorite poet.
Preston Stell
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This had some wonderful poems; the section for his father were some of the best in the whole book.
Paul
Josh
Nov 30, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Iron Man
  • The First Book of Lost Swords: Woundhealer's Story (Lost Swords, #1)
  • Dandelion Wine (Green Town, #1)
  • Kingdom Come
  • The Return
  • An American Childhood
  • The Collected Stories of Lydia Davis
  • Out of Sorts: Making Peace with an Evolving Faith
Wendell Berry is a conservationist, farmer, essayist, novelist, professor of English and poet. He was born August 5, 1934 in Henry County, Kentucky where he now lives on a farm. The New York Times has called Berry the "prophet of rural America."