Start by marking “Time for Truth: Living Free in a World of Lies, Hype & Spin” as Want to Read:
Time for Truth: Living Free in a World of Lies, Hype & Spin

Time for Truth: Living Free in a World of Lies, Hype & Spin

In postmodern society, truth no longer exists in any objective or absolute sense. At best, truth is considered relative. At worst, it's a matter of human convention. But, as Os Guinness points out in this book, truth is a vital requirement for freedom and a good life.
Time for Truth urges readers to seek the truth, speak the truth, and live the truth. Guinness shows that
Published February 1st 2002 by Baker Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Time for Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time for Truth

Start your review of Time for Truth: Living Free in a World of Lies, Hype & Spin
Stephen Bedard
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
The nature of truth is one of the most important topics of our time. Is it more importantly to be morally true (as we see it) than factually true? This book, although twenty years old, still asks some important questions.
Bert van der Vaart
Very succinct analysis of the impossibility of maintaining any belief system not based on truth; in particular, post-modernism's apparent dominance in Western intellectual thought leads to a chaos of different relativities and the use of lies (fake news) as a means to an end. Guinness marches the reader through the analysis while skimming over a great many other philosophers/writes, from Solzhenitsyn to Chesterton, and Budziszewski to D.H Lawrence. One interesting line of thought was the distinc ...more
Mary
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Written in 2000, Guinness saw it coming and then some. This small volume is philosophically prophetic of the times we were already in then and are fully mired in now. He exposes the "relativizers" for their illogical despair, their rash emptying of meaning. The emergence of postmodern cynicism was an outgrowth of Enlightenment, then the arrogance of European Modernism which is now deflated "when truth dies and power becomes the operative principle of speech, the result is conformity, the "tyrann ...more
Amy
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was great and even though it was written 10+/- years ago it's one for our time. I appreciate the Christian perspective but I think that for those who don't, it would still be a good read with something useful that everyone can take away from it.
Herman H.  Douma
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Erg intrigerend boek over de (post)moderne kijk op de waarheid. Os Guinness geeft een inspirerende analyse weer van de hedendaagse denktrant (incl. veel interessante voorbeelden). Ook laat hij duidelijk de inconsistenties zien en de fataliteit van het verwerpen van de objectieve waarheid. Hij duidt in dit boek wat werkelijke vrijheid betekent en hoe te leven in de waarheid (vrijheid). Een duidelijke integratie met het werkelijke leven in deze wereldlijke realiteit. Het is een inleidend werk naar ...more
Mano Chil
Seek the truth and do not twist it and mold it to our desires; instead work out our desires to it.
Andrew
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jeremy
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Short and powerful book. Guinness critiques the current trend towards postmodernism and offers prescriptive solutions about how to resolve this trend. It is a very important book from a brilliant author, reminding us all that there is truth and that truth is the ultimate source of moral authority. Without truth everything heinous and just are morally equivalent. There is not authority in respects to right or wrong, only the "will to power" and the implementation of that strength.

Guinness does no
Lorie
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
really enjoyed the no-nonsense format. made for a fast, yet poignant read. agreed that there is no freedom without truth. first exposure to this author's written work, though I've heard him on the radio and online. ready for more :)

would really have appreciated more of an expose on modernism vs. postmodernism and Christianity vs. Marxism as experienced in one of my favorite works: The Consequences of Ideas. still, this was quite enjoyable and well-written.

Some quotes from the conclusion:

Because
Josiah
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
A quick but solid read exploring our postmodern's culture aversion to truth, showing how widespread it is throughout popular culture, and how only by returning to the truth can we really live lives of true freedom. While this is largely a cultural critique, Guinness spends some time looking at how this should change the way we live our personal lives as well, and I really liked his point that the best way to respond to a culture living without any regard to the truth is to both speak the truth a ...more
Adam Carlson
Oct 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual
at times a little over my head. the author does a good job of trying to break things down for the lay reader but ultimately, i was confused. i really dig truth and what the book was about. but i left feeling frustrated that i still feel like i don't know what truth is any better than before. i only am more sure that it exists. for such a short read, and since i have yet to read any of the authors other books, i can't fault the author really. i think i'm going to have to do some more reading.
Tom Brainerd
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a short and readable book in which Guinness is trying to do enough but not too much. Ideas have consequences, and he is trying to show what those consequences are in terms of the decades-long assault on truth. He also works to provide a prescriptive for turning back the tide.

This is not a book for philosophers and deep thinkers, but one purposed to try to create them.
Joel
Sep 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Good study of postmodernity of the current culture, how it has worked its way into politics and the marketplace, and what the implications are that come with it. His illustrations are always carefully chosen and his thoughts well articulated. A good, brief read to get into the discussion, and realize where we're headed as a country unless we turn the minds of the people.
Gary
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: apologetic-mind
This a a great little book. It is not overtly Christian, in the sense that it seeks common Judeo-Christian answers to the problem of postmodernism. But it is very well written and persuasive in a Chesterton-Lewis way.

Loved it.
Patrick S
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone. Every single person.
Recommended to Patrick by: Del Tackett
Just finished this for a fourth time (2019). Every re-read worthwhile. Gave one as a Christmas gift because it’s a great jumping off place for many of the big questions of our day and of life. Just look at all the shelves I have it on.
Joel
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I appreciated Guinness's book because its a great reminder that believing the truth requires living in truth. The apostle John's greatest joy was that his children walked in truth, and this book is a call to orient life around truth.
Rick
Mar 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
I had hoped for more from this book. I already know that Truth exists. I also know that diffferent people see Truth differently. Also I know that just because you believe something, that doesn't make it true. A few good points were made, but only a few.
Joshua Nuckols
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Guinness shows the bankruptcies of both Postmodern and Modern views of truth and puts forth the biblical alternative, where the truth truly sets one free.
Kristy
Dec 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book has some sections that are a little dated, but he has some really thought provoking things to say. It's a pretty good read.
Joey
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, theology
A great little book on the importance of truth, along with a critique of postmodernism.
Patrick
Jun 22, 2014
Madcg
Jun 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Negotiating the Disabled Body: Representations of Disability in Early Christian Texts (Early Christianity and Its Literature Book 23)
  • Naked Man Running: 100 IDEAS that work in a small church
  • Faith, Science and Understanding
  • The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: An Experiment in Literary Investigation, Books I-II
  • The Unaborted Socrates
  • Titans
  • Critical Theory: A Very Short Introduction
  • A Farewell to Mars: An Evangelical Pastor's Journey Toward the Biblical Gospel of Peace
  • One God: Pagan Monotheism in the Roman Empire
  • The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare
  • The Origins of the Second World War
  • How Do We Know?: An Introduction to Epistemology
  • From the Stone Age to Christianity
  • God's Grace in Your Suffering
  • Lives of the Noble Greeks
  • Who Speaks for the Damned (Sebastian St. Cyr, #15)
  • Who Slays the Wicked (Sebastian St. Cyr, #14)
  • Why Kill the Innocent (Sebastian St. Cyr, #13)
Os Guinness (D.Phil., Oxford) is the author or editor of more than twenty-five books, including The American Hour, Time for Truth and The Case for Civility. A frequent speaker and prominent social critic, he was the founder of the Trinity Forum and has been a visiting fellow at the Brookings Institution and a guest scholar at the Woodrow Wilson Center for International Studies. He lives near Washi ...more

News & Interviews

“In terms of distance, the prodigal's pigsty is the farthest point from home; in terms of time, the pigsty is the shortest distance to the father's house.” 7 likes
“In other words, we are never freer than when we become most ourselves, most human, most just, most excellent, and the like.” 5 likes