Start by marking “Bookends” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  1,218 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
Opposites attract? Maybe not.

Emilie Getz and Jonas Fielding are as different as two people—of the same age, with the same faith, living in the same charming Pennsylvania town—could be.

She loves history; he loves new ideas. She sticks to the rules; he likes to break them. She’s into saving relics; he’s into saving souls. The one trait they share is a penchant for control
Published May 1st 2005 by Multnomah Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Bookends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bookends

Bruce Judisch
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
So, I'm in the bookstore the week before Christmas. There's a few bucks of my shopping allowance left and Jeannie likes to read, so let's see what's available. I scan the shelves and my eye stops on a really classy cover design. It's got old books on it--which I'm a sucker for--so it's at least worth pulling off the shelf for a look-see.

Hmmm...Bookends. Clever title (I think). Let's see what else it's got going for it

Top endorsement reads, "Witty, charming, delightful". I cringe. All the testost
Jul 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adults, Christian Romance readers who want solid characters a good plot
My Ratings Translation:
* = Dropped it/hated it.
* * = Forced myself to finish/found difficult.
* * * = Interesting, but not likely to be cracked open again.
* * * * = Liked very much, and will be/has been re-read.
* * * * * = Loved, and has been worn to pieces

Please understand that this review reflects ONLY my opinion. I may have bad taste in books, but you are also entitled to your own erroneous opinion.
I'll be posting a longer and (hopefully) more in-depth review of this book on my blog, but I ju
Julie Barrett
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bookends by Liz Curtis Higgins
Dr. Emily Goetz and she is back home after 18 years of research. She has now a job there to find out the truth of the land for the Meridian congregation in a small German town in Lititz PA. We traveled there one year and was able to take a pretzel tour where they make and sell them.
Jonus Fielding is a land developer and he wants the land for a golf course. He is so opposite of her-athletic, she a book study person.
She gets roped into going with him at 430am to count
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great contemporary romance. Funny, heartwarming.
Aug 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
I hate this book. The main female character - Emilie? I think I've subconsciously suppressed everything about her - is sooo hard to swallow. Her character is disgusting and I can't get past it. I couldn't finish this book even though I so badly wanted to. The reviews were phenomenal and I expected a much better read.
Anne Afshar
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Two different people meet under unusual circumstances, and along with preconceived opinions about each other, they don't click. Many other issues arise in the plot under the disguise of a love story of an unusual couple, which make it interesting.
Carolyn Tye
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read.
Erica Elwell
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a great romantic comedy with a good amount of heart and great spiritual depth. I had never heard of the Moravian Church before but it was so interesting to get a glimpse into their world.
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Wonderful long plane ride fairy tale . . . Maybe someday this will come true . . . ;)
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy, christian
Read if: you like light- hearted, humorous, opposites- attract romance books.
Maybe skip if: you don't favor "cuddle umpkins", loathe them then love them, by the formula romantic comedies.

Bookends tells the story of Emilie, a academically- minded history professor who temporarily moved back to her hometown to write a commissioned book and to research her own personal archeological pursuits, and Jonas, a land developer who is currently finishing the final touches on a new golf course for the town
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This books has drops of all the things I love in reading besides a hint of magic or fantasy. When I found out It was more contemporary I was a little hesitant but soon realized it had some side to it I love GOD <3. This small little love story between a historian and an architect will surprisingly overwhelm you with how a real relationship should be. I love that it is not some story about teens living happily ever after but that it took them both time to find that "different" someone to truly ...more
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Stereotypical academic female lead who purses her lips and lets out entirely too many hmphs. Her mother cares nothing about her professional accomplishments, and only wants grandbabies.

And then she meets the semi "bad boy" dressed all in black, and so masculine that he really should shave at least twice a day.

Once I got over the eye rolling and made myself push through the first 1/4 of the book, I started skimming and the story got slightly better. I still couldn't bring myself to believe these
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What happens when a studious history professor meets up with an exuberant landscaper? Emilie and Jonas are about as opposite as anyone could be. Emilie is doing research for the Moravian church and suspects that the land Jonas wants for his golf course holds an archaeological landmark. What follows is a delightful tale as fireworks are sparked. It's a story of how Christ's love can soften someone's heart.

I was feeling depressed for some time and this book "blew away the black clouds". The humour
I must not have much of a sense of humor, because the claim is that this book would have me laughing.
Emilie is a stubborn, conceited, controlling historian with a nominal faith in Christ. Jonas is a practical, wealthy, likable, yet stubborn land developer with a genuine relationship with Christ.

The characters were annoying and inconsistent. Especially annoying was what felt like constant kissing.

Two enjoyable and positive highlights were the descriptions of places in Lititz and Lancaster County
Beth Withers
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emilie and Jonas are at cross-purposes, but it's evident almost from the beginning that they are meant to be together. They both have something that the other needs; it just takes them a lot of time to figure out how to help each other. There were several convenient coincidences that made everything all nice and sunny in the end, and sometimes I struggle with that. The message is strong to trust in the Lord. I did enjoy learning about the Moravian denomination. Although they settled not far from ...more
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it
It turned out to be a decent book in the end. I wasn't sure it was going to be in the beginning. I agree with the other reviews that said that the length that the author went to to make the two main characters opposites seemed a bit much. I also wish she would have provided more detail about the Moravian one not familiar with that branch of Protestant, it would have been nice to have a little more description when she spoke about different aspects of their worship, for instance. Some ...more
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dr. Emilie Getz and Jonas Fielding are as different as two people -- of the same age, with the same faith, living in the same small Pennsylvania town -- could possibly be. She's a first-class neatnik; he's a world-class slob. She's into saving historical relics; he's into saving souls. But perhaps opposites do attract. For when this historian and this land developer meet, sparks fly. And despite the rather inauspicious beginning to their relationship, neither one will escape unchanged ... or uns ...more
Not as interesting as I hoped it would be. I liked all the other Liz Curtis Higgs books that I've read before, but this one was rather weak compared to all the other ones. The plot was a no-brainer and annoying, merely because the main characters were annoyingly unable to communicate with one another before jumping to conclusions that made life difficult. I did like the ending, though, how everything was resolved (kind of) with Nathan. It wasn't the usual happy-go-lucky conversion scenario, but ...more
Jul 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I like Liz Curtis Higgs writings, I just believe I am in a funk. Have you ever had a time when the books you pick up just are not hitting your taste buds? Like when you look in the fridge several times thinking something new will just appear, so you try one bite of something- it does not do it, then you try a bite of something different and that doesn't do it either. Well, I had that nibble with this book and it just didn't do anything for me. Bummer! I hate that. On to the next one.
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I scoured one of my daughters bookshelves for books that I haven't read yet and grabbed this one. I'm glad I did. At first I thought that this book was set in the past but realized it was just the personality of Dr. Emilie Getz. She's a bit too proper for my taste but after meeting Jonas (who received a prompting from God to help Emilie find joy) and the encounters that they have throughout the book she unwinds a bit. I like books that make me laugh out loud and this one did.
Mar 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-lit
I enjoyed learning more about the Moravian religion. I knew next to nothing about that religion, so that was really interesting. The book also reminded me to examine where my relationship with Christ was. Do I profess to know Him or do I really know Him? So I enjoyed what I learned from the book.

I thought the writing was so-so and the main character didn't have a lot of charisma, but there you go. An okay book.
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
not the greatest book I've ever read. the story was "Okay". I didn't get the title at all as I read this story and if I hadn't read the author's notes or maybe it was the discussion questions in the end I wouldn't have seen the connection at all. I really disliked the main female character because while I don't begrudge a woman her successes in life I despise how they flaunt it like this character did. Not one I'd recommend to my friends.
Jul 03, 2014 added it
I re-read this because it's set in Lititz! It was so fun to read all the descriptions and be able to picture everything. Since I live a block away from Emilie's house. :) several places were mentioned with different names: Benner's Pharmacy, for example. Now i'm curious to find out the history...maybe it's been renamed? The author's writing style is witty and humorous: this is one of the few "romance novels" i'm not entirely embarrassed to admit to having read. :)
Xavier University Library
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Xavier University Library by: Megan
I love Liz Curtis Higgs' historical fiction, but I was hesitant to read any of her contemporary works, thinking they might not be as good. Boy, was I wrong! This book did a great job of pulling me in! I fell in love with the characters and their stories, and got my history fix in the mix! I'm interested in reading her other contemporary books as well now!
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Liz writes in a way you feel like she is a dear friend who has come over for fellowship, tea, and a laughter-filled time :) and this book didn't disappoint. Liz sums up the title and book well when she said 'the 2 main characters: Emilie & Jonas begin like bookends - facing life in opposite directions on every point, but oh how our God turns them toward HIMSELF more and toward one another!
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
At first, I couldn't tell what decade this book was set in, which was a bit unsettling. After I figured out it was modern-day, I could just sit back and enjoy. It was an easy read, with pretty predictable events. That being said, the focus on the characters' relationship with Jesus was more than most books of this genre and I quite enjoyed that part.
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
romantic heroine
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
So, this book has blown me away. I didn't know what to expect when I bought this book. But to find myself indulged in one of the most romantic and natural story I read so far, was the most delightful surprise! It felt like I would know Emelie and Jonas. It feeled so real...

This book is for everyone who longs for sweet little surprises. Perfect read for february.
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite. It's a story between two very different and stubborn people who finally realize that they love each other. They both are Christian, but one has a personal relationship with the Lord and the other realizes that they don't. It took awhile for me to get interested.
  • Newlywed Games
  • It Had to Be You
  • The Whitney Chronicles
  • Chateau of Echoes
  • Faking Grace
  • Fair Game
  • Too Good To Be True
  • A Touch of Betrayal (Treasures of the Heart #3)
  • Dream a Little Dream (Mule Hollow, #4)
  • Blind Dates: Four Stories of Hearts United with a Little Help from Grandma
  • Only Uni (Sushi, #2)
  • A Table by the Window
  • Lost in Rooville
  • Reason and Romance (Austen Series, #2)
Former Bad Girl, grateful for the grace God offers. Happy wife of Bill, one of the Good Guys. Proud mom of two grown-up kids with tender hearts. Lame housekeeper. Marginal cook. Pitiful gardener. Stuff I love? Encouraging my sisters in Christ—across the page, from the platform, online, in person. Unpacking Scripture. Traveling wherever God leads. Listening to His heart. Leaning into His embrace.
More about Liz Curtis Higgs...

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)