Start by marking “Pushing 30” as Want to Read:
Pushing 30

Pushing 30

“The one thing you should know about me is this: I’m the consummate Good Girl. . .”

Ellie Winters is dependable and loyal and has a near-phobic aversion to conflict. But as her thirtieth birthday looms ever closer, she starts to feel like she’s lost the instruction manual to her life. She has just broken up with her boring boyfriend, despises her job, and is the last of her
Published September 30th 2003 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Pushing 30, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pushing 30

Start your review of Pushing 30
CaliGirlRae
Jun 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Chick lit and Sex and the City Fans
This was a light, fun read and also my first foray into the chick lit genre. Not sure I'll be making a return as I liked this book more so for the characters and this particular romantic setup.

This book reminded me of Sex and the City and read like an episode (or maybe a full season). Lead heroine and narrator Ellie Winters has both the conservative, good girl vibes of Charlotte York and the neuroses of Carrie Bradshaw. She's surrounded by her two best friends: the hard working tax attorney and
Jaclyn
I read this book because I am turning 30 in a month and have embarked on a challenge to read as many books as I can about this milestone birthday. There were some parts of Ellie's character that I found completely relatable and others I did not. I found her to be a bit insecure, pessimistic and negative, sometimes too much at times, and that wore thin for me. There was a little too much "poor me" in her character for me to completely relate. However, that being said, overall I liked the story ...more
BookOfCinz
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Pushing 30 is the ultimate chick-lit. Ellie is about to turn 30 and she finds her life isn't where she wants it to be- she is doesn't like her job, her friends doesn't have time for her and generally life could be better. Honestly, if you've read any chick-lit, you've read this. It is super cliche and the ultimate light, predictable read.

Laurie
Dec 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Well I finished this book in two days, mainly because it's a formulaic chic-lit novel. But if you like that sort of thing, this is for you. I orginally wanted to read a different book by Whitney Gaskell but no library in our area has a copy of it so I haven't been able to get a hold of it. Anyway, I chose this book, Gaskell's first novel after leaving a career in law and it was pretty decent. But you have to know how it ends even before you start it.

Ellie Winters is a lawyer in the litigation
Jennifer Trimboli
Dec 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This book is light and funny. It was so funny, in fact, that I actually found myself laughing out loud. The main character is sarcastic but still light hearted enough to be normal. I can't say I would read this over and over again but I definitely liked it.
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Not the best chick lit I've read, but not the worst either. Ellie's too high strung for my taste and I just wanted to slap her a couple times. The story is too predictable. Overall it was only okay. How bad is it that the most likable character was Sally, the pug?
Chloe
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. I loved this book. Perfect rom com. The only complaint I have is that there is the thing that you see SO much of in chick lit where if they would've just communicated instead of operating on assumptions then a whole lot of drama and heartache could've been avoided. I really liked Ellie and thought she was relatable. She hates conflict and just does what's expected of her and settles for her life as is. I also found myself swooning a little over Ted. Her friends, while not the best ...more
Salita Demary
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
This is a super fun little story and light read about transitioning from your twenties to your thirties. It’s full of laugh out loud and relatable moments.
Leah Snow
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brain candy. I read this before it’s just a light fluffy cute read. I like it bc of the age difference between the main characters and the age difference I have with my hubby.
Melissa
Sep 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Ellie Winters is the perfect good girl. She never talks back, never confronts, and keeps her job as an attorney because her parents expect it of her. Catapulting towards thirty, she breaks up with her boyfriend just as he's about to propose, because she knows there has to be someone better for her out there. Then she meets Ted Langston. Ted is a television news anchor, charming and fun to be around. Ellie falls hard, but there's a problem - he's over fifty.

It's not a problem for Ellie, who is
W
I was looking for a light hearted chick lit novel, one that would feature the fun butterfly feelings that make you smile, a distraction from other current heavy reads as well as the stress of everyday life. I started Pushing 30, and it was perfect. Sigh. The first half, that is. It was exactly what I'd been needing, as cute and awww fluttery sweet realism as I could hope to find. And then there was a shift. It was like two books. The first half was easy to read, and I wholeheartedly give it four ...more
Abby
May 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
This wasn't a terrible book, just completely formulaic and predictable, with underdeveloped characters. So basically, a completely stereotypical chick lit story. This is why this genre gets a bad rap people! By lazy writing.

The short version is, girl has no personality and does whatever her friends and family want her to do because she has no idea what she would rather do and also has no spine. Throughout the book she faces conflicts in her personal life (with her friends, family, and romantic
Rebecca
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chicklit
one of the better ones i have read lately, after my last load of crap from the library last month. this one takes place in DC, which i always enjoy as a setting and the protag, Ellie is a lawyer, but hates it. Parents are involved, somewhat and pushing into what they think is best for her, not what she wants. She had two main friends who where easily identifiable and could tell them apart and tho not essential to the story, made appearances where and when needed. the main hook-up in the book was ...more
Michelle Molinari
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I’m not the biggest fan of the spineless leading ladies. I get so annoyed when they whine and complain that they are victims of their own life when they let others dictate their future. These women can’t get out of their own way and I’m supposed to feel sorry for them? Such is the case of the main character in this story. It’s an entertaining story but I just want to shake her half the time and tell her to do something. I feel bad for women who have things happen to them, even when trying their ...more
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Approaching 30 is an interesting time in life, maybe you are settled and married and just enjoying a happy time or maybe like Ellie you are trying to get things settled and it isn't working, either way turning 30 can be rough! I may have picked this book specifically to review this week as my 30th birthday may be tomorrow!

I loved how Ellie was trying to put the pieces together, it combusts and most of it comes together in the end! The characters were fantastic, they felt real, but each had great
Jessica
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! Before starting this book, I happened to read the author profile. I got a little nervous when I saw that this was her first novel - only because I was traumatized by the book that I read previously also by a first time novelist (You Have to Kiss a Lot of Frogs). As I started my feelings were mixed. On the one hand I found myself relating to Ellie Winters as the Good Girl. On the other, she sounded similar to the author Whitney Gaskell. Fortunately, my fears were ...more
Miriam
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I chose this book solely on the facts that I am turning 30 soon and a lover of light chic lit. By the end, I can say I enjoyed it. My problem is how shallow and immature the main character, Ellie, is at the beginning of the novel. She is constantly judging others on their looks and seems to have a lot of ill wishes for others. However, she keeps referring to herself as a good girl. It definitely picks up, but there are much better chic lit books and authors.
Hodan
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, Ellie was a funny character and i loved the dialogue and the plot. i saw myself in her, the only big diff between me and Ellie is that i say what i think when a person does me wrong, i wish she did that more. this book is my first May-December book and i loved it, i got it b/c of that fact. it ended too soon i think, some plot lines were open ended and I HATED THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was a 5/5 book but i got to the last page and was like WTF!!!!! :-(
Angie
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book despite it being a pretty standard chick book. It is chock full of oops and sorrys and misunderstandings. in the book Ellie is trying to get a spine so that she can lead a life that she will enjoy instead of what everyone thinks she should do. I liked that both Ellie and Ted had to fight against what everyone thought would be good for them to realize that they truly wanted to be together. I however was sad to see a character used and no resolution. Good book
Angie
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I had mixed feelings about this book. As I am turning 30 this year I thought it might be a fun read, however the book really is little about Ellie turning 30, but just about life during the months leading up to the big 3-0. There were a number of events that were going on and I wish Gaskell had more clearly focused on just a couple of them instead of light focus on all of them without a lot of resolution. Overall, a light and enjoyable read.
Cori
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it
This a was a light, quick read that I picked up because I'm nearing 30. I definitely identified with Ellie on her job woes and existential crisis. There were aspects that I felt were covered a little too much (I don't care what dress you were wearing), and other aspects I wish had been explored more (what is going on with the brothers?) but overall enjoyable.
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
This wasn't a bad book; it just wasn't a very good book. The story follows a pretty set formula. And it still falls apart in the details: It is not that hard to keep track of depositions in a case file (I know from personal experience); nor is it that easy to become a political cartoonist (again, I know from personal experience).

Elena
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance-erotica
Very short read. Lazy job, I'd say. Story with sabotaging of Ellie's job has no conclusion. Storyline with her parents ends with "I'll think of it tomoroow". Situation with Alice in Ted's bathrobe and Ted in shower is absolutely unbelivable.
But the main heroine has her sense of humor. If not her spinless character, I'd like her a lot.
Apr 20, 2009 rated it liked it
This was just an OK read for me. I wasn't very interested in the relationships that were the focus of the book and I found the main character slightly annoying. I'm all for the "every-girl" and have no problem overlooking faults but the main conflict seemed somewhat ridiculous. Overall I enjoyed the writing more than I enjoyed the plot.
Nicholas
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a decently funny book. I found it to be quick and a very light easy going book. The main character was interesting and really helped make the book. I will admit this isn't a book I would typically read again. A decent read and may check more out by this author.
Allie
Feb 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I am close to turning 30 so I enjoyed this book. It wasn't a page turner, but it was cute. The plot wasn't what I expected, but I still liked it overall. I probably feel that way because I liked the first book that I read of hers the best.
alicatstrut
Jan 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I do like the narrator, but I can't help but think about what an unbelievable moron she is every time she so obviously misreads a situation. And I can't help but roll my eyes every time she says she's a Good Girl and that's not what Good Girls do. Get the heck over it and do what people do.
Alice
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
chick lit --contempary time period.
Young woman unsatisfied with life, career, family
love interest --older divorced man

reminds me of standard romance plot -- major problem is the main character isn't talking to her love interest-- in fact she's not talking to anyone.
treehugger
Jul 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit, read_2010
GREAT beach reading. Chicklit, so don't expect anything mind-blowing or anything much deeper than the musings of a 29 year old freaking out about not being married with children by the time of her 30th bday.

Fun, light, like a forgettable but enjoyable pastry.
Brittany
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Eh. It was a cute book and I'm a fan of the writer but it was all wrapped up a little too neatly for my taste. That being said, it was a cute, solid, chick-lit story and I think people would enjoy it. It just wasn't anything special.

• Apocalipstick
  • The Friends We Keep (Mischief Bay, #2)
  • Asking for Trouble
  • Just Friends
  • Fashionably Late
  • Emily Ever After
  • Fourplay
  • Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4)
  • Secret Society Girl (Secret Society Girl, #1)
  • Last Night at Chateau Marmont
  • Cure for the Common Breakup (Black Dog Bay, #1)
  • American Babe: A White Girl Problems Book
  • Big Girl Panties
  • The Pre-Nup
  • The Day Miriam Hirsch Disappeared (Ellie Foreman, #0.5)
  • Встретились, поговорили
  • New Uses for Old Boyfriends (Black Dog Bay, #2)
  • A Previous Engagement
Growing up, Whitney Gaskell always wanted to become a writer. Then for some unknown reason, she went to law school. TABLE FOR SEVEN is Whitney's eighth book. She also writes the Young Adult GEEK HIGH series under the name Piper Banks.