Start by marking “Answer Me!” as Want to Read:
Answer Me!

Answer Me!

ANSWER Me! is a big black slab of trouble. Originally released as a series of magazines, then a collected edition which sold thousands before going out of print, ANSWER Me! has been blamed for a White House shooting and a triple suicide. It has been banned in several countries and put on trial for obscenity in the USA. Chock full of well-written rants, interviews, and arti ...more
Published February 25th 2015 by Scapegoat Publishing (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Answer Me!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Answer Me!

Daniel Levesque
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
You want to hate Jim Goad as much as he hates you, but it's hard to put this "Hate zine" compilation down. (Full disclosure: my original four issues, seperately, were used against my cousin in a court battle for his kids. He was borrowing them, and the cops came, and they looked at em, and...) I like Debbie's stories as much as Jims, if not more.
Cwn_annwn_13
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A compilation of the first three issues of the underground zine Answer Me! put out by Jim Goad and his now deceased wife Debbie. Interviews with subjects as diverse as Iceberg Slim, David Duke, Anton Lavey and Timothy Leary. Articles like the 100 most spectacular suicides, (which is at times quite hilariously written) going undercover at AA and NA meetings, serial killer profiles, (also made me laugh out loud) among lots of other interesting and diverse topics. The highlight for me though was th ...more
Sacha Colgate
Feb 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
More utterly worthless "transgressive" garbage that should have been thrown in the nearest landfill site at the draft stage. Who cares how "edgy" and "daring" mister Goad is? A "book" full of blundering idiocy, entirely tiresome and predictable "challenging views" pieces, and a worldview that seems to consist of "we're much better than you" (how old are these authors? Five?). You'd probably get more coherence and sense out of a packet of Doritos, all being told.

And oh yeah, by the way, what are
Kendall Moore
Raw, witty, and with a shock value that does occasionally wear thin. Yet overall, a good zine filled to the brim with disturbed artwork and writing.

Recommended for those of us whose minds have a taste for nihilism and acts of human detritus.

Best Parts:

Death in Bakersfield (article)

Shoot First, Live Free (article)

Swallowed by Jersey (short story)

Essays by Debbie Goad

Top 100 Serial Killers and Mass Murderers

Top 100 Suicides

Interviews with Holly Woodlawn and "Iceberg Slim"

Honorable mention: 24 Ho
Varmint
Oct 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Imagine a violent drunk in a bar. He's wandering around, ranting about something, and brandishing a broken bottle at various customers.

Imagine that he's actually fascinating. His high volume hate filled threats sound like the best of Hunter Thompson, or Burroughs, or Bukowski with all the tired hippie niceness burnt away.

Really not for everyone. Goad will find a way to get under your skin and offend you, no matter how open minded you think you are.
Audrey
Jan 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
It was interesting, but a bit of a burden to read. One can only wallow in the mire for so long before it becomes oppressive.
Roland
Feb 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The most uncomfortable reading experience in my life, but it's still fascinating.
Shadow Girl
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can't tell you, for sure, when I first got my hands on this.
I can remember getting one of the first three 'issues', mailing away for it to some unknown P.O. Box after a buddy sent me info about it. He said, "Hey, you like fucked up shit, check out this (forgive me...) 'zine!"
It was perfect - full of dirt, grime, and grainy pictures.
Jim & Debbie Goad were a pissed off couple who hated everything, except each-other, and I was obsessed.
I got a letter some time later. Something personal was
Thomas
Nov 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
This book isn't really True Crime (though it has a lot in it), but I'm too lazy to create a new category for Jim and Debbie Goad. I always liked this totally mean spirited, nihilistic book. I know after I got it, I immediately read it straight through in one sitting. To me, that warrants at least 3 stars. Jim Goad goes on about himself too much, bragging that he's creating the ultimate zine. It reminds me of Howard Stern talking too much about his ratings-- BORING! But Debbie Goad (I think they ...more
Jamie
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Due for a re-read. I suspect much of this has aged terribly but I care not. Read first at a point when my patience and compassion for other human beings was beginning to wane and hasten it's decline as a result. Repulsive yet compelling writing. Occasionally contrived, occasionally quite brilliant. Recommended.
Dirk
Apr 13, 2010 rated it liked it
This was the first Jim Goad thing I ever read. It was back in 97 and I almost forgot about this issue. It's maybe my least favorite Answer Me! but it's still interesting, and simultaneously very very depressing.
Tristan Goding
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The process of reading this felt like a serious disaster, waiting to happen. The thoughts expressed here pull the reader through a very wide range of emotions and, though the writing definitely has a truly sociopathic edge to it, the end result is actually quite fascinating and almost feels like therapy for those of us who have gotten really tired of human hypocrisy. The cultish, almost fascistic quality to the pieces contained within, the desperate fixation on everything evil and downright wron ...more
Charlie
Jun 10, 2009 rated it liked it
This is something that would be really unsettling to quite a few people I'd imagine. I think I'm a happy enough person that my worldview is pretty different to that of Jim and Debbie Goad. For the most part this was a comedy read for me with lots of interesting things about serial killers etc. on the side...
Cynthia Lewis
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Goad is a talented and incisive writer, and I respect talent and incisiveness. I also tend to like writing that pushes the boundaries of what most are comfortable with exploring. With that said, some of the boundary-pushing here seems juvenile, like it was done merely for attention and not as unbounded intellectual exploration.
Noran Miss Pumkin
Apr 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: mature adults only!
Recommended to Noran by: jf
Shelves: strange-stuff
read the orginial issues--again harsh topics dealt with harshly. in the light of day. the writer has quite the following. a friend had me read them--took me out of my cloistered life forever into reality of the big bad world.
Kevin
This book holds the contents of the infinitely interesting suicide issue and serial killer issue of the magazine. One of the harshest things to ever be published. But yeah, it's pretty funny at times as well. Not for the PC-minded. Is PC even a relevant term anymore?
Justin
May 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Jim Goad really shows how vulgar and putrid this world can be. I love it. In particular, I like the interviews with Al Goldstein (creator of Screw magazine) and Hank Williams III. Plus, the 100 serial killers and 100 suicides are truly inspirational.
Aaron
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
some of it is just absolutely sickening, but this shit can't be put down.
Crckt
Aug 20, 2008 rated it liked it
misanthropy is soooo 90's.
Liz
Aug 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
ben had the original separate zines. i think this is the 3 i read... did i?
Hater Shepard
sure I read this.
and I think Tesco Vee writes great lyrics, too!
Emilyhex27
Oct 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
RAPE! MURDER! So good.
Amar Pai
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on
I was too chicken to take this book with me on my flight to D.C. cos I pictured myself getting interrogated by the authorities due to certain pages...
Jan
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My bible! Nothing more to say!
S.B. Stokes
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
While biting and cutting edge when it came out, the prose of the in-your-face, angry young man of the 1980s simply hasn't aged well.
Nate
Oct 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, sociology
Juvenile, jaundiced, cynical, focused, forceful, well-executed. Pretty much spoke for every young male I knew in the early 1990s.
Dirk
Apr 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite Answer Me! The suicide index(with photos) is a real treasure.
Eric
Jan 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zine-culture
This stuff is wrong and bad. This stuff is also passionate and witty. Not for the feint of heart.
Aaron the Pink Donut
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: truecrime
Just a salty cynical purely hateful book. great stuff.
Recynd
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Groundbreaking and shocking when it first came out, I think I have these in their original zine form (I wrote for Pills-a-Go-Go back in the day).
Bible of hate 2 22 Sep 27, 2009 10:18AM

• Yokohama Threeway: And Other Small Shames
  • The New Media Reader [With CDROM]
  • Bad Bad
  • This Won't Take But a Minute, Honey
  • boring boring boring boring boring boring boring
  • Look! Look! Feathers
  • The Really Funny Thing About Apathy
  • The People’s Manifesto
Goad started his writing career with the magazine "ANSWER Me!" Which got connected with a triple suicide by British gothics and of the white house shooting of Francisco Martin Duran.

In 1998 he was convicted of abusing his girlfriend and was released in 2000. In prison he wrote his autobiography "Shit Magnet."

Nowadays he lives with his wife and son in Atlanta. According his website, Goad is now wo
“What you accomplish in life is limited only by your imagination and the fear of reprisal. Life is too fleeting and unrewarding to have to live with the added anus of indignity. The denial of one's inevitable demise is what causes most of the astringent blandness in the world. When your existence ends most certainly in death, there is no such thing as "going too far." There are no "lines" you should fear to cross except the finish line. Playing it safe is the most dangerous thing you could do.” 13 likes