Start by marking “Small Graces: The Quiet Gifts of Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
Small Graces: The Quiet Gifts of Everyday Life

Small Graces: The Quiet Gifts of Everyday Life

In twenty elegant pieces, writer, sculptor, and theologian Kent Nerburn celebrates the daily rituals that reveal our deeper truths.

A companion piece to Kent Nerburn’s book Simple Truths, Small Graces is a journey into the sacred moments that illuminate our everyday lives. Through the exploration of simple acts, he reminds us to chart a course each day that nourishes the s
Published March 16th 1998 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about Small Graces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Graces

Start your review of Small Graces: The Quiet Gifts of Everyday Life
Harmony Kent
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely little book of daily reflections and contemplations. The style is engaging and non-preachy, and I enjoyed being able to relax and take it in at a pace I chose. The author writes from a place of humility, and his appreciation for the small things in life is obvious. What a joy to browse these pages.
Lorraine
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Was expecting more...
Narinder  Bhatia
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An awesome book. This book stands on top of my list of favourite books. The author seems to have a knack of picking up the right words and phrases and impacting deeply. The little joys matter a lot in our lives and the author conveys the same in such a soulful way. The simple, honest and practical approach of the author makes the book a lifetime companion, which act as a great reminder to us about the beauty that lies in the small , simple daily acts of ours !
patricia
Dec 26, 2007 rated it it was ok
this book was a gift and a quick read..it had a few moments of brilliance a quote or two that gave me pause...it is always important to slow down and take in the moments of our lives. i get that and we all need reminders but while reading this there was a small part of me that kept thinking this guy is on another planet and if he was my husband i might have to smack him one..a little too much stop and smell the roses. his poor kid constantly getting these philosophy lessons . all i could imagine ...more
Kathryn
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book to be my last book read in 2014. Little chapters showing how to appreciate little things throughout the day. I loved the story of the blind woman who said the one thing she would like to see if given on minute of sight was clouds. Another chapter where the author walks along the ocean shore and being aware of when the tide is coming in and then changes to the tide going out. When our day goes from waking into morning to beginning the descent into afternoon and then nigh ...more
Ann Catherine
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all my girl friends
Recommended to Ann by: picked it up off a book shelf at a store
still reading but learning alot about life. This books helps you if you are going through a hard or confusing time cause it makes you step back and reconnect with reality and with your life. I reccomend it to all!
Cat Bennett
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Small Graces by Kent Nerburn, is a wonderful little book with a fantastically great message. Exposing us to the everyday miracles in our lives. Gentle reminders to give thanks for our walks through our daily lives whatever it brings.
Yasmine
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This read is a delicate unravelling of simple graces that we may so easily overlook in our everyday lives. There is a beauty in pausing and taking a breath and experiencing the instances and discoveries in this written work.
Colleen Mertens
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a thought provoking little book. It was a simple series of thoughts on God and real life. I liked reading it. The author shared his life experiences and stories in a gentle way to make you think and relate them to your own life.
Robin
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I appreciated Nerburn's wisdom and his intuneness (is that a word?) with nature. My take-away is this thought from his book: "It is not our task to judge the worthiness of our path; it is our task to walk our path with worthiness."
Shannon
Apr 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have been trying to do a better job in finding happiness in small things each day. This book is a great example.
Donna
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very beautiful and true.
Karen
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wonderful quick read for a relaxing moment and cup of tea.
Anne
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Small Graces reminds me to enjoy the simple every day life activities. It makes you want to enjoy and love the ordinary.
cati
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Found this on my bookshelf. A gift from Kelly in 2000, a hard year. Was good then and still today!
Lisa Shultz
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
A lovely book to read in the morning when you get up. I am glad I read it again (was on my shelf for years) and will be giving it as a gift to others. Gentle, peaceful and calming.
Anita Ashland
It's clear he has a sculptor's eye, as he is able to chisel out the simple truths in everyday life that are all too easy to overlook. The older I get the more I appreciate small graces.
Pam
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I live my life through small graces. Kent Nerburn's accounts of small graces was inspiring and uplifting.
Hyun
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice little book that reminds us to take a moment out of our busy lives to reflect and be thankful. I read a chapter a day in the morning and it was a nice way to start the day.
Cindy
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book, on the morning bus to work, one essay at a time, as a kind of meditation or centering for my day. There were some helpful reminders as well as some new things for me to think about. My favorite quote was in reference to the importance of creating and nurturing a loving home where the author wrote this about his wife who emphasized the importance of sharing meals daily as a family:

"Louise sets the plates on the table. The rest of us come and take our places. Food is passed from
Aubrey
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
ehh.

Maybe I’m just in a weird reading mood, but I didn’t really get anything from this book.

I think theres something beautiful to be said about the small moments in life, I really do, but I also think the beauty in them is getting to see them for yourself. I feel like this was trying to be a guidebook on how to see the world. I also kept thinking “there’s no way this man actually feels these things as often as he does.”

There were some things that I resonated with. The section about family and ho
Rayna
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
There are a few good points in this book but overall I felt as though it was long winded rather than uplifting or providing ways to appreciate everyday life.
Keith Mounts
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Spirit is everywhere. This book tells us of ways Spirit manifests if we open our senses and heart.
Megan
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Started out strong
Sharon Banitt
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book for meditation. Quiet and inspirational.
Mara Laverentz
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A daily devotional or a reach for when you're struggling with something.
NJ
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very contemplative. Highly recommended.
Michelle
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! 💗 Will read again someday!
Bonnie Westmark
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a gift from someone in my Hygge group. Every page and every story was calm and comforting. This is a book to read next to a window, while watching the birds, cup of tea in hand.
Karen Autrey
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely book about , as the title says, the quiet gifts of everyday life.

• Welcoming the Unwelcome: Wholehearted Living in a Brokenhearted World
  • The Flight Girls
  • Caffeine: How Caffeine Created the Modern World
  • Topics of Conversation
  • The Soul of Rumi: A New Collection of Ecstatic Poems
  • The Order (Gabriel Allon #20)
  • The Pigman (The Pigman, #1)
  • Scary Old Sex
  • A for Anonymous: How a Mysterious Hacker Collective Transformed the World
  • Mistress of the Ritz
  • Action Park: Fast Times, Wild Rides, and the Untold Story of America's Most Dangerous Amusement Park
  • Out of Sight
  • The Last Trial
  • Joy at Work: Organizing Your Professional Life
  • Sleepwalking
  • Summer of Fear
  • The Creative Tarot: A Modern Guide to an Inspired Life
  • Witchery: Embrace the Witch Within

News & Interviews

“But trees have their own personalities, and if we would be their friends, we must meet them on their own terms. No matter where I live, I always try to make friends with a tree. I find them so much like us in so many ways. They have their feet on the ground, their heads in the sky. They respond to the movements of the wind, the changes of the season. They have moods, aridities, joys. They like company. In their scale they are perhaps our most intimate companions: their lives are understandable in years, not aeons; their size in feet, not miles. We can watch them grow, give forth their fruit, send forth their young. We can touch them without feeling alien, or as if we are violating their wildness. We sense their private courage. And they have so much to teach. Like us, their roots are unseen, and no matter how glorious the front they put up for the world, their true strength lies in the hard work that takes place unnoticed beneath the surface. They have good years and bad years, and yet they endure. They know how to withstand all seasons, to be patient with adversity, to store up strength for the hard times. They are nourished by the land. When the wind blows, they understand the power of the unseen, and bow their heads before it. They hold on to their children as long as they must, then let them go where they will. And they have about them a deep compassion. They provide rest for the traveler, food for the hungry. They will even give up their own lives to provide shelter and warmth for others. They welcome weaker creatures without asserting their power. It” 1 likes
“Now is the moment when I must pause and lift my heart — now, before the day fragments and my consciousness shatters into a thousand pieces. For this is the moment when the senses are most alive, when a thought, a touch, a piece of music can shape the spirit and color the day. But if I am not careful — if I rise, frantic, from my bed, full of small concerns — the mystical flow of the imagination at rest will be broken, the past and the future will rush in to claim my mind, and I will be swept up into life’s petty details and myriad obligations. Gone will be the openness that comes only to the waking heart, and with it, the chance to focus the spirit and consecrate the day.” 0 likes