Start by marking “Origin (Scales 'n' Spells, #1)” as Want to Read:
Origin (Scales 'n' Spells, #1)

Origin

(Scales 'n' Spells #1)

Cameron wants to make it clear that he did not go into the festival to find a dragon mate.

Germany is supposed to be an escape. With a new mechanical engineering degree, a new job looming, and a whole life planned out that isn’t his, Germany seems like the best place to find himself.

So how does he end up discovering his lost magic heritage, running from bad guys with a sec
Published October 1st 2020

To ask other readers questions about Origin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Origin

Start your review of Origin (Scales 'n' Spells, #1)
Cadiva
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5*

A solid opener to this new urban fantasy/paranormal romance which lays down great foundations for the series.

I had a few questions at the end but I'm sure they'll go on to be answered in subsequent books and I'm definitely looking forward to finding out more.

One thing I will say, although this book was set in Germany, apart from the use of that language, there were also times it felt 'American'.

I'm not sure a many hundreds of years old European Dragon King would ever say "fuck that noise" tb
Gerbera_Reads
Oct 07, 2020 rated it liked it
A. J. Sherwood has been known for very sweet and positive paranormal romances, and we definitely get it here as well. The MCs are likable and easy to relate to. I hoped to like the story more but the everything moved so slowly. Nothing happened for about 70% of the book. And while it was fun and fascinating to read about everyday lives of dragons and mages, I needed something to happen. The relationship between Alric and Cameron started off absolutely endearing, just perfect, but soon reverted t ...more
haletostilinski
Oct 14, 2020 marked it as dnf
Pausing on this one. Not 100% giving up on it because of Drake, who I love, but I'm just not connecting with this and find myself wanting to be doing other things than reading this at the moment. So DNF on this for now.
Deborah
Nov 18, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a nice cute little read.

It started well and I was intrigued by the story of dragons and mages. Cameron and Alric are both likeable characters. I really wanted them together.

And that’s one of the problem.
It dragged at times. As these two confident capable men wade through insecurities. After a while I just wanted to bang their heads together.

This is a sweet book. Filled with super sweet characters. And while it wasn’t the book I’d hoped for. I’m curious enough to want to continue on. S
Jean the book nerd
2.5*

I am normally not one to write reviews, especially not on books who got less than 4 stars from me. But I had to comment on this, because the way the german language was used here was in equal parts annoying and ridiculous.

I am from Germany, and while reading I was more than once confused and irritated, okay sometimes I could only laugh (I haven’t read Liebling that often in a book for a long time, not even in a german one, and I haven’t heard it being used in normal day-to-day life since my
julia ☆ [owls reads]
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Origin was a pretty unique and super sweet read! The concept of fated mates wasn't a new one, but the way the authors developed the world-building and the history surrounding the dragon clans was so different from what I'd seen before in fantasy settings and it worked so well with the story.

The writing, in general, was compelling and the perspective shifts between Cameron and Alric were really well done. I did find that this was a bit too long, though? At around the halfway mark, the story start
Achim
Oct 10, 2020 rated it liked it
A story about dragons in Germany? Of course I had to read it and now that I did, did I like it? Did it reach my expectations? Hm, expectations are a fickle thing and rarely a good base for reading a new story.

So, what did we got? An alternate world just like the one we're living in but where dragons and magic existed until 500 years ago when a great war between dragons and mages lead to the extinction of both. Since then dragons became a thing of local folklore and magic a thing of fairytales.
Amanda
Sep 30, 2020 rated it liked it
[I received a digital arc for an honest review]

Origin
is the start to a new mm paranormal romance series by authors A.J. Sherwood and Jocelynn Drake. A modern say fantasy series that takes place in a world where dragons are alive and magic still exists.

Cameron Park is on one last hurrah before joining the working world. He is pleased when he runs into a beautiful local who wants to show him all the best hidden gems. Little does he know he's being led by Alric Burkhard the king of the fire dragon
Katharina
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Okay, so... I had major expectations: fantasy, dragons, magic. Maybe even funny. And a German setting - what's not to like?

Turns out for me quite a bit. I found most of the characters silly, and not in a good way. While I liked Alric well enough, I just did not like Cameron. At all. And Alric and Cameron both had a gigantic Mary Sue issue. Now, I'm aware that this is a very wide-spread problem and it always bugs the hell out of me. Characters that are gorgeous, powerful, smart, good leaders, wis
Mak
Oct 14, 2020 marked it as dnf
I only made it to chapter 3, so I'm not going to rate it. I could not get into the book. The characters were uncompelling and I felt no chemistry between them. I skimmed and the plot was utterly uninteresting. And the writing was wooden. It was a slug to read what I did and I decided that my time would be wasted trying to get through this book.
Daniel Arnold
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
I wasn't going to write a review for this book but there were key things that really rubbed me raw. First and foremost, this is NOT urban fantasy. This is high fantasy with a dusting of urban fantasy elements that detract from the story.

As a disclaimer for the below. I have lived in Asia, love/loved/befriended gay Asian men of various nationalities (including Korean), understand the cultural undertones and speak an Asian language (badly).

Cameron is not Korean-American, Cameron is white-American
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Origin is the first book in the Scales 'N' Spells series and I LOVED IT. Cameron is backpacking his way around Europe and ends up in Germany where he attends a Dragon Festival. Whilst he is there he is hugged by Ravi and held onto until Alric arrives. Alric is the Fire Dragon King and it turns out that Cameron is a mage although he doesn't believe it yet.

Cameron is young but knows he likes older men and Alric certainly falls into that category. Alric feels the attraction to Cameron but wants to
jazmin
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really thought I would love this book. I mean, dragons and mages? Yes, please. So I'm so sad to say I didn't enjoy it especially much. I didn't like Cameron (pretty much all the characters made me feel meh), something about the writing bothered me, and it got kind of boring sometimes since I thought it was unnecessary long. So, unfortunately this book disappointed me.
Kyuteepie
Oct 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Viz
Oct 24, 2020 rated it liked it
I love Sherwood's supernatural books! Have read them, listen to them. Her choice of narrator is spot on.

BUT, this was a huge disappointment for me. I was looking forward to read about dragons, what's not to like and Mage and don't forget the destiny of fated mates!! But the story went on & on & on.... snail pace. Way too many time I checked how many chapter to go for the story to end!! Atleast I finished it! this wasn't a book where I read it without able to keeping it down.

Sorry, for me this
SMC
Oct 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I was super excited for this book, mainly because I’m such a big fan of Drake’s, but also because I do love a good dragon romance. Sadly, this missed the mark for me. I’ll start with the big ones - REPETITION. So we read about a situation as it happened in the story. Then we read about again when they have a meeting about it. Then we hear it once more during a phone call, right after said meeting. Why ??? I mean, was it necessary to write the whole thing out? Could it not have been better to jus ...more
Joyfully Jay
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Origin is the first book in A.J. Sherwood and Jocelynn Drake’s new Scales ‘n Spells series and I think it is off to a great start. I am a sucker for dragons and the world building here is really stellar. We learn that dragons and mages used to live and work together. But a huge war led to the near decimation of the dragons, leaving only two clans remaining, while the mages were also almost wiped out and ended up mostly scattered. It’s been 500 years, and while hu
Madhu MaBookYard -
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My Rating : [🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟]
Kindle/GRR/ October2020
#mabookyardchallengeOct20
Thank you @gayromancereviews for the review copy, which lets me give you my unbiased opinion!
This book follows our clueless mage Cam as he is backpacking around Europe and stumbles upon an old Dragon clan. What happens when he becomes the most sought after Mage and trouble follows him is the crux of the story.
First, This combination of Dragon shifters and a human Mage is one of my favorite things to read about. Plus not to f
Shirley
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 -5 stars... I think I'm gonna love this series.

I have been having quite a run on “new to me” authors lately. Most of them have left me pleasantly surprised and I’m happy to say that A.J. Sherwood and Jocelynn Drake are among them. I’m not sure what I expected from Origin, but I’m pretty sure I got more than I bargained for. Kinda like both Cameron and Alric. 😉

Cameron had heard about magic and dragons his entire life from his grandmother. He knew that they both existed in the past, but he d
Susan Marie  Beattie
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dragons! Hurt/comfort, age gap

I loved this book. Dragon shifters are my favorite. Cameron is taking his vacation in Germany and attends a local festival. He meets an older man, Alric, who offers to show him around.

Alric is King of the Fire Dragons. Dragons are thought to be extinct but they are real and hidden from humans.

Cameron is a mage, the dragons can smell his magic. But Cameron has no idea he is a mage, has no idea that dragons are real.

Alric wants to bring Cameron into his castle and
Diane Dannenfeldt
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, pnr, 100-200_pgs
Great start to a new series.

I think the book was a little too long. Maybe if things would have picked up sooner then like the 75% mark, I would have loved it. Anyway, I loved the MCs and all of the secondary characters. I can’t wait for the next book in the series.
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
This was enjoyable, but OMG it’s long. I think it could have been shortened a little. It was getting a bit repetitive.

I was going to try to write a hopefully passable review, but I got over myself. The review I was writing was awful. Just know there’s dragons, magic, and a hot dragon king. This was a good introduction to a new fantasy adventure.
Yi1ian
Oct 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Chicks with dicks and lots of “I’m not worthy”.

Rounded up to a 3.
gimmethosebooks
I liked this. Dragons? Awesome. Old magics? Cool. Fated mates that aren’t omega/alpha? Sigh me up

It felt like the beginning of a series, with explanations and world building and enough interest to have me knowing I’ll read book two.

But for MCs...I liked Alric more than Cameron. Cameron was too much and not enough. I’m finding it hard to explain why I just didn’t connect with him they way I did Alric. Maybe it’s just a case of it’s not you, Cameron, it’s me?

also people don’t look like continents
Anne Barwell
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story from beginning to end. The world building is fabulous and I love the idea of dragons still existing in not quite our world yet in a modern setting and most thinking they’re extinct.

The characters feel very real, and I love the banter. Cameron totally rocks, especially when he comes into his own and kicks arse. I love how he’s so caring, and protective of Alric. I also liked how he needs to get his head around everything, rather than just accepting it, and that includes the ve
Warring  Wings
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dragons and Mages. And a sweet romance. What more can I ask for?

Following a nerdy mage who has unwittingly fallen for the King of the Fire Dragons, turning his life upside-down while trying to fit with a clan he's supposed to be the savior of, was definitely interesting to read. I loved chemistry between the leads and how they interacted with all the super fun characters surrounding them! Also, can we talk, Communication? I was kinds nervous about the same old misunderstanding trope being introd
Ana  Nimity
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I fell in love with Jocelynn Drake's writing with the Unbreakable Bond series (with Rinda Elliott) so when she moved into paranormal, I followed eagerly, even though it's not my first choice of subgenres. I enjoyed her Lords of Discord series and am loving the Weavers series (also with Rinda), but this is my first AJ Sherwood book and I have to say, I was impressed.

The characters are vivid and engaging, the worldbuilding is amazing, and the romance is swoony and hot. It's a slow burn, with plent
Jacquie Stewart
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not going to lie, I initially struggled to get into this and therefore it took me a while to read. Once I hit about halfway though it was fine.
All of the characters (there's quite a few!) are varied in personality and the MC's are fantastic. More than a few funny moments.
More of a slow burn but worth the wait.
A couple of things were slightly predictable to me but it didn't spoil my enjoyment.
Looking forward to where this series goes
LauraSt
4.5 STARS

Dragon and mage goodness coming your way!
I absolutely adored this wonderful universe.
Dragon and Mages have been separated for years, when all along being together was what would maje them all stronger.
Cameron was amazing and lovely and just perfect for Alric. I absolutely adored this.
Cannot wait for more!
Badh
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rawr

Cameron is just so absolutely perfect and funny. I thought that he handled Alric was perfect. I loved how everyone loved him.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Healing Aiden (Lords of Discord #5)
  • Rueberry Orchard (Beyond the Realm: Remember #1)
  • The Soldati General (Soldati Hearts, #3)
  • Embracing Winter (Lords of Discord, #4)
  • Cornelius (Warlocks of Amherst #1)
  • Lacuna
  • Wild Warrior (Weavers Circle #2)
  • Fix It Up (Torus Intercession, #3)
  • How to Save a Human (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #4)
  • Wildfire (Sons of Olympus #1)
  • Spooky Business (The Spectral Files, #3)
  • Liars (Licking Thicket, #2)
  • Marked by Death (Necromancer, #1)
  • Demons Do It Better (Hidden Species #1)
  • The Fantastic Fluke
  • Bad Habits (Wages of Sin #1)
  • Willowhope Manor (Beyond the Realm: Remember, #2)
  • Wolfsbane (Werewolves of Boston #1)
AJ Sherwood believes in happily ever afters, magic, dragons, good men, and dark chocolate. She often dreams at night of delectable men doing sexy things with each other. In between writing multiple books (often at the same time) she pets her cats, plays with her dogs, and attempts insane things like aerial yoga.

She currently resides in Tennessee with aforementioned cats, dogs, and her editor/best

Scales 'n' Spells (2 books)
  • Breath (Scales 'n' Spells, #2)