Start by marking “Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Internals” as Want to Read:
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Internals

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Internals

Delve inside the core SQL Server engine—and put that knowledge to work—with guidance from a team of well-known internals experts. Whether database developer, architect, or administrator, you’ll gain the deep knowledge you need to exploit key architectural changes—and capture the product’s full potential. Discover how SQL Server works behind the scenes, including:

What happe
Published March 18th 2009 by Microsoft Press (first published February 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Internals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Internals

James Williams
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
During the course of my work day, I spend the bulk of my programming time working with SQL Server: writing queries to retrieve data from our expansive scheme, creating or updating records, or designing new table structures to support exciting features. Recently, I've added "making slow SQL go faster" to the list of things I expect to be able to do well.

Towards that end, I'm attempting to immerse myself in the technicalities of how SQL Server does what it does and how my choices as a developer c
Eric Wisdahl
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech-books, textbooks
This book took me a good six weeks to finish as it had so much information to consume that I would often find myself reading for ten or twenty pages and then having to take a break. However, I feel like reading it cover to cover once, in combination with some of the MCM Prep videos, has given me a very strong foundation of how the engine works. I'm sure that I will continue to look back at some of the chapters over the next several years as I come upon problems with T-SQL.

This book is highly re
Corrado Piola
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The best SQL Server book I ever read. You will not learn how to administer a SQL Server installation. This is outside the scope of this book.
Really perfect the fifth chapter, where you can find the details of the physical storage for every bit in the Data pages, for every datatype, and so on.
One of my favourite chapters is the tenth chapter, about transactions, isolation levels, locking and latching! Amazing...
Rachel
Jun 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The perfect companion piece to Itzik Ben-Fan's T-SQL Querying, Kalen Delaney [et al] manages to expose a lot of what makes SQL Server tick; from the basic architecture to tables & indexes thru to an extensive examination of the DBCC command. Highly recommended.
Steve Malley
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Kalen [et. al.] have produced a truly great SQL Server internals book, again! It covers many areas of how the DBMS actually works and will help any DBA get from the uknowns to pinning down the details.
Vera VB
Feb 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: workrelated
I found this to be a difficult book. I guess that's because it's about the internals.
SEBASTIAN SAJAROFF