Start by marking “Hot Rocks (Nick Hoffman, #7)” as Want to Read:
Hot Rocks (Nick Hoffman, #7)

Hot Rocks (Nick Hoffman #7)

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
"Raphael's series hero, Nick Hoffman, is in midlife crisis when he and partner Stefan Borowski return from their Caribbean vacation (marred by murder, of course; see Tropic of Murder, 2004) to resume teaching at the State University of Michigan. Nick's musings over getting older halt abruptly when he realizes that his companion in the health-club steam room is head trainer ...more
Published April 15th 2011 by Alazon Digital

To ask other readers questions about Hot Rocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Rocks

Jim Rhodes
Apr 29, 2008 rated it did not like it
I got this book from the library thinking it would be a quick easy read. It was. Unfortunately, it was also pretentious and not written very well.

It follows a college professor from a fictional town of "Michiganopolis" which, let's face it, is Lansing. He teaches at a fake university there, and discovers the body of a trainer in the steamroom of his gym. His best friend, his partner, and he solve the mystery, but not without ridiculous, unnecessary references to books that most of us read in und
Tyson
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-mystery
This is one of the most enjoyable gay mysteries I've read in the past year. Nick Hoffman, an associate professor at a state university in Michigan, discovers a dead trainer in the steam room at Michigan Muscle, a cross between an old-school exclusive men's (now co-ed) athletic club and a Bally's or Gold's. Between Nick's past proximity to crimes and prodding from his friend Juno, Nick finds himself involved in the investigation, and ultimately solves the mystery.

What I enjoyed most about the nov
Chelsea Courtois
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
I gave this book three stars because I thought it was a mediocre attempt at a comedic mystery. If you've watched enough episodes of Law and Order, you'll be guessing the killer within minutes-not so bad if that's what you're looking for in a novel. The rapid influx of literary and pop culture references while reading can overwhelming at times.

What really irritates me about "Hot Rocks" though is the author's name for the city in which the novel takes place, "Michiganapolis". Clearly, written abo
SuperCat
Oct 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
The narrator of these books (it's part of a mystery series) is a gay and snotty academic who grew up in New York and now lives in Michigan. The good part of these books is the portrayal of the politics at the University. The bad part is the over-abundance of allusions and references to both high culture and pop culture, at an average of 3 per page. Although I did enjoy the part about the post-post-modern holocaust novel "everything is cremated"
Valerie
Nov 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
this book was ok. my mom knows the author so she had me read it so i can be informed if i meet him some day.

the story was bland. all the cultural references bothered me. i knew the reference 50% of the time and the other 50% i thought the author was trying to look smart, which just made him look stupid.
Debra
Mar 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another Lev Raphael look at academic politics, although this one focused more on health club politics among the well off and bored.

As usual, Mr. Raphael snarks with the best of them, but with engaging wit that you just grin and love it.
Lev Raphael
Mar 16, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Now available for Kindle and Nook.
Rick F.
David LaGreca
Jul 30, 2015
Lüpges
Nov 14, 2016
I've wanted to be an author since I was in second grade and fell in love with "The Three Musketeers", which I read to pieces. It hasn't been a swashbuckling life exactly, but one full of surprises, including recently selling my literary papers to Michigan State University's Libraries.

Since second grade, I've loved all sorts of books and have ended up writing nineteen books in many genres: memoir,
More about Lev Raphael...

Nick Hoffman (8 books)
  • Let's Get Criminal (Nick Hoffman, #1)
  • The Edith Wharton Murders (Nick Hoffman, #2)
  • The Death of a Constant Lover (Nick Hoffman, #3)
  • Little Miss Evil (Nick Hoffman, #4)
  • Burning Down the House (Nick Hoffman, #5)
  • Tropic of Murder (Nick Hoffman, #6)
  • Assault with a Deadly Lie (Nick Hoffman, #8)