Start by marking “Hardware (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #6)” as Want to Read:
Hardware (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #6)

Hardware (Carlotta Carlyle #6)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  725 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
In her sixth spellbinding adventure, Carlotta Carlyle, the 6'1" redheaded P.I. from Boston, takes on a case that draws her into the mysterious shadova and of computer technology, where information is cheap, and privacy may be a thing of the past. Part-time cabbie Carlotta is entering the modern age of investigation. With the help of her sometime lover, mafioso, and compute
Published August 30th 2005 by Minotaur Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Hardware, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hardware

Ed
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
#6 in the Carlotta Carlyle series.

Carlotta Carlyle series - When Boston-area cabbies are targeted in a series of attacks, the professional and personal lives of Carlotta Carlyle bloom with mystery. The part-time PI and part-time cab driver is hired by the Small Taxi Association to investigate the attacks. On the same day, she discovers four microphones hidden at Green & White, the company she drives for. Sam Gianelli, her ``on-again, off-again lover'' and Green & White's co-proprietor, w
Vannessa Anderson
Carlotta Carlyle is hired by her boss to investigate why her cab drivers are being beaten up. Just when author Barnes had us convinced that we knew who the killer was, she threw in someone who we never suspected! Hardware was a fun and fast read. C.J. Critt storytelling made the story exciting and a fun read.
Leisha Wharfield
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
In this book, I care a lot about the character Carlotta, remembered and eulogized by the author in an elegant criticism of Boston for its lasting segregation, and her overt admission regarding a city that is still racially exclusive: "In Boston, movie theaters cater to black crowds or white crowds. Restaurants rarely attract racially mixed gatherings . . . " It still takes exceptional individuals to cross racial lines. Why is that? Let's mix it up, people!
Judy
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been trying to read the Carlotta Carlyle series as she wrote them but I've had some trouble finding the ones that she wrote earlier. In sequence they start as her being a cop in Boston, then leaving that after she shot someone and becoming a P.I.
Well written and detailed descriptions.
Brian O'Leary
Oct 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
My type of plot line, but a really bad book.
Cameron Wiggins
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is a good, quick Barnes’ read starring the part-time Private Detective/Cab Driver, Carlotta Carlyle. As usual, Barnes does do her research. This time, Boston-based Carlotta gets involved with a case at her own work-place Green and White Taxi. Carlotta discovers four bugs in the restroom. Is it the FBI – they use the same type of archaic bugs? If not the FBI, then who could it be, and why?
The FBI is systematically eliminated as the culprit. So, next on the list is the largest taxi company in
Spuddie
May 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
#6 Carlotta Carlyle mystery. Winter's approaching in Boston, and someone is beating up cab drivers. Carlotta, who drives cab part time to help pay the bills when her PI business doesn't do well enough (which is most of the time) is approached by two different people to investigate--an official in the local Hackneys association, and her boss and friend Gloria, who is part owner of G&W cabs.

Gloria isn't sure whether someone is targeting just her small company or cab drivers in general, and ca
Robert Scott
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Finished 07/08/2014. Carlotta is approached about finding who is purchasing cab medallions for Boston. & then confronted by the person who was accused of doing so. She decides to upgrade to modern technology & get a computer. Sam Gianelli who has been scarce lately offers to get her a good deal on a used computer. She meets his friend Frank who is in fact James Fabrizzi. Then she stands in for Gloria's brother when he is attacked while driving a G & W cab w/o a license. Then S & ...more
Barbara ★
Mar 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
This is a good mystery concerning a taxi company (or two), a mafia family including the estranged youngest son, a private investigator dating the taxi owner (said estranged mafia son), and a friend from his past.

I listened to the abridged audiobook of this title and am not sure whether the abrupt conclusion was the author's writing style or due to the revision. I just seemed to me that Carlotta all of a sudden just knew who, what, when, where and why with no real explanation as to how she came
Jan
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Linda Barnes's Carlotta Carlyle series is one of the very few that I can keep reading back-to-back. I really, really like Carlotta and her attitude and the unique people in her orbit. This reader really likes how they are all developing in each installment. Her fraught relationship with her little "sister", Paolina, is one that any parent can understand with the exception that legally she can do so little. Carlotta has many love temptations and not all are temptation only. And, throw in computer ...more
Karen
Feb 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I had trouble getting into this; I just wasn't that concerned about who did it or why. The heroine jumped to one conclusion that really didn't sit well with me and that made me question her judgment from that point on.
Gail
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was the grittiest Carlotta Carlyle mystery yet. Still continuing with the series. The characters are great. I love how there is a continuing story woven underneath the main case. It holds the series together but a reader can still pick up a book at any point in the series and not feel lost.
Meredith
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I enjoyed this book -- I like Carlotta and Gloria - but I don't think I really understand what happened, or rather how the two threads of the story fit together. So it was a page turner for me that left me scratching my headat the end.
Jill
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Carlotta must solve the mystery of who is beating up cab drivers, while not getting beat up herself. She also has to deal with her on-and-off boyfriend/boss and whether she needs to make a clean break.
Dee
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carlotta gets involved in a case that starts out about cab medallions . We learn a lot about Sam and his family. This series is fast reading but it keeps you interested.
Albert
Sep 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Light reading, fun because it is about Cambridge and Boston. Written in 1995, out of date with Information Systems.
Joe O'Connor
Aug 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Good; Continuing Character: Carlotta Carlyle; someone is out to get taxi drivers in Boston, particularly those belonging to Carlotta's Mafia boyfriend.
Mary Newcomb
Carlotta once again solves a tricky case, at high cost to herself and those around her. The intersection of several powerful families is not the best place to be.

Ellen
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
LIKE ALL HER BOOKS. THIS ONE WAS GRITTIER THAN MOST
Jim Hager
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Didn't care for the first quarter, but stuck with it - glad I did. Surprised at ending, but the clues were there.
Martha Fiorentini
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I like this series
Pat
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Good book.
Private detective who drives a cab.
Cabbies are attacked.
Cab company blown up.
She has a fling with neighbor shrink, does she love him or not?
Toesnorth's mom
Shelves: wish-list
ON MY WISH LIST
Cstewart801
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have just recently discovered Linda Barnes and am very pleased with her style of writing. Would recommend any of her novels.
Ruth
Mar 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-pi
really enjoy Carlotta Carlyle stand alone but have ongoing threads also e.g. her little sister and relationships with her guys
Joanne
Sep 06, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a marginally better book than her first book. A little more character development. Mostly just fluff and fun, a few serious moments.
Fix Tech Help: How to scan multiple pages in Brother printers? 1 1 Dec 12, 2016 11:26PM
  • The Cheshire Cat's Eye
  • Alley Kat Blues (Kat Colorado, #6)
  • Blowback (Nameless Detective, #4)
  • The Butter Did It (Chas Wheatley, #1)
  • Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1)
Linda Barnes is an American mystery writer, born and raised in Detroit, and graduated from Boston University"s School of Theater. She is best known for her series featuring Carlotta Carlyle, a 6'1" redheaded detective from Boston. Carlotta Carlyle is often compared to the hard-boiled female detectives created by Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky. Her new novel, "The Perfect Ghost," which will be publi ...more
More about Linda Barnes...

Carlotta Carlyle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1)
  • The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)
  • Coyote (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery, #3)
  • Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)
  • Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)
  • Cold Case (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #7)
  • Flashpoint (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #8)
  • The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9)
  • Deep Pockets (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #10)
  • Heart of the World (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #11)