Start by marking “That's Not a Thing” as Want to Read:

That's Not a Thing

Meredith Altman’s engagement to Wesley Latner ended in spectacular disaster. When Wesley lost his parents in an accident, mere weeks before the wedding date, he blamed Meredith and left for an open-ended journey to Europe, breaking off their engagement and shattering Meredith.

It was Aaron Rapp, a former Ivy League football player and baby-saving doctor who finally helped
Published April 14th 2020 by SparkPress

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 14, 2020
    A New York City love story about first love, second love, and all the "what ifs" in between, THAT'S NOT A THING will seize your heart and not let go. ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 3 copies available, 3391 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Oct 16 - Nov 14, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about That's Not a Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That's Not a Thing

Start your review of That's Not a Thing
    Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
    Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Wesley and Meredith are engaged when his parents are killed in an accident shortly before their wedding date.

Wesley blames Meredith and leaves for a trip across Europe, not before ending their engagement.

Flash forward and Meredith is dating Aaron. They eventually get engaged, and Meredith can finally breathe again. Their engagement party is in a restaurant owned by none other than Wesley, and Meredith is seeing him all over now. When she sees him, he’s clearly not over her. Of course this causes
    Larry H
    May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
    4.5 stars.

Can a relationship survive when old love walks back in? That's Not a Thing , Jacqueline Friedland's new novel, has its own ideas.

Meredith is happy. She’s engaged to Aaron, a handsome pediatric neonatologist, and while her job as a corporate lawyer doesn’t quite satisfy her, it does give her financial security and the occasional chance to work on a human rights case. Sure, she'd rather do something more fulfilling, but maybe someday.

One night when she and Aaron are at dinner with fri
    Nursebookie
    I LOVED THIS BOOK. If you enjoy reading stories about the one that got away then this book is for you. The range of emotions I went through with this book - that when I started I could not stop reading until my eyes were strained, and everything else neglected.

Meredith and Wesley met during college at Columbia and their love story was completely enthralling, until a tragic accident caused their horrible breakup. Years later, Meredith, was now in another relationship with Aaron, a pediatric hear
    The Nerd Daily
    Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Jeanette Zhukov

“I wonder if you ever grow up enough that the tensions and complexities abate, that you can get through one freaking meal without having to consider the lifelong implications of your every action.”

Jacqueline Friedland’s newest novel, That’s Not a Thing, is an emotionally packed narrative that examines love, heartbreak, and the rekindling of one’s life passion. Friedland’s protagonist, Meredith Altman, is a successful attorney at a
    Inês
    Apr 10, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    i hope the people in his new home will give him the kind of support he needs. i wonder who will give me the support that i need.

disclaimer: i usually start my reviews off with a quote i loved from the book, even if i didn't enjoy the book itself. but "that's not a thing" left me with such trauma that i went for the one that aggravated me the most and that i feel sums up the whole book.

i would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for an arc, and i would also like to thank the universe fo
    Melissa
    Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A couple of years ago, I read a historical fiction young adult novel by Jacqueline Friedland. While I was impressed by it, I was even more excited to read her first foray into women's fiction. And you know what? She nailed it!

The story was instantly engaging. I liked the flashback scenes toward the beginning, which explained the reasons behind what Meredith was feeling and why her situation was so complex. (They also made me nostalgic for college.) I can't relate in terms of wanting to get back
    Janice Boychuk
    Deep sigh.... wonderful and exquisite... ♥️ ...review to come!
    Melissa
    Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
    4.5

That’s Not A Thing was a wonderful read about love—first love, lasting love, familial love. Love is complicated and Friedland covered some very sad, emotional topics without making it feel like too heavy of a read. I was hooked on this one from the first page and I never felt it waning. In fact, I stayed up late just because I didn’t want to put it down.

I highly recommend this one when you’re in the mood for some great women’s fiction that will have you feeling all the emotions.

I received an
    Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
    4.5⭐Meredith Altman who was engaged to Wesley. Wesley's parents die in a car accident and that ruins everything for them. He breaks off the engagement and she is left devastated!! lNow, she's engaged to Aaron who has helped her move on and find happiness again! Before the wedding, Wesley unexpectedly appears in her life again. She finds out that he's been diagnosed with ALS and everything changes! She sees that there is still feelings between them. I love how you are given flashbacks, it makes y ...more
    Bree Lauren
    ARC received in exchange for an honest review from Netgalley

I’ve never been yanked around by my heartstrings so much by a book before.

I didn’t remember anything about the synopsis before I picked up this book to read it, and I’m glad I didn’t. I’m glad I went into the novel blind, because I thought I had a pretty good idea about where this book was going, and I was so wrong.

I won’t go into detail here for that reason.

The first half of this book is told in a dual timeline. Sometimes when this hap
    Mirtha
    Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    That's Not a Thing by Jacqueline Friesland

10/5 Stars!!!!!!!

Wow! Beautiful, Touching Tribute to the Power of True Love, Warms the Soul, Pulls at every possible heartstring!!

"Meredith Altman’s engagement to Wesley Latner ended in spectacular disaster—one that shattered her completely. Years have passed since then, and now she’s about to marry Aaron Rapp....."

That's the intro to what I can most certainly says is by far my favorite book of 2020!
    The story of Meredith, Wesley and Aaron will have you
    Rochelle Weinstein
    Friedland's THAT'S NOT A THING is an unputdownable tale of old love meets new. Heartrending and evocative, this beautifully woven story captures the deep-seated emotions we carry---those of guilt, forgiveness, and what it means to be there for those we love. Friedland's sharp writing and emotional depth will leave you turning the pages, ending with a satisfying, albeit bittersweet conclusion.
    Camille Maio
    Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This was a one-day read for me, as I was totally engrossed from the beginning. What a concept - an engaged woman encounters her old fiancé, only to discover that he is dying from ALS and has no one to take care of him. Old resentments arise, new feelings are explored, and it is the perfect recipe for drama that is both heartwarming and compelling. I look forward to reading more of her books!
    Pam
    Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Thank you NetGalley and SparkPress for an ARC. 4⭐️ for an original love triangle type of story that also had a little Me Before You vibe. A quick read. A few misses in that some sub-plot points had too much detail while several of them were not resolved... not mentioned again including one of the main ones. But still enjoyed this one and would recommend.
    Jessi
    Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    An ARC was received from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I'm not quite sure where to start with this one. Meredith is just a bit of a train wreck, honestly. It seems like her family was kind of a mess, and she just didn't really get ahead herself.

I felt like the pace was really off here. Not just because of the flashbacks vs. current times, but also within each of those it seemed like there would be big gaps where maybe some details would have been helpful.

The rela
    Jamie
    Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I absolutely loved this gem of a book. My typical genre is mystery/thriller so this was not something I’d normally read but I am so glad I did. I adored these characters- all them! My heart ached for Wesley. I have 2 family members who have passed from ALS so this hit home. Aaron was someone I wanted to fall in love with and wrap my arms around- he felt like home. Meredith was lovey even though she was messy! The NYC setting was captivating and made me miss home!
    Put this on your TBR for April!
    Nicole
    ** I received a free ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. **

This book was just one big, hot mess. I felt like this book had every plot line that could be used. I won't reveal them because what would involve spoilers, but this book just didn't work for me. Meredith just seems like a train wreck. I didn't feel an attachment to any of the characters, and the book just seems to end far too abruptly.
    Kristin (Always With a Book)
    I loved that while this book is all about the love that got away, it is also pretty thought-provoking.

Full review is up on the blog: http://alwayswithabook.blogspot.com/2...
    Jamie Rosenblit
    Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Emotional, heartfelt & thought provoking are the words that come to mind when describing Jackie Friedland's foray into contemporary fiction - a genre where I hope she will spend more time in the future, if That's Not a Thing is any indication. Torn between her past and her present, Meredith Altman finds herself in a unique love triangle when her ex fiance appears in her new life with her current fiance.

That's Not a Thing will take turns that will surprise the reader and kept this story fresh for
    Daria
    Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Wow, what a fun read! It was a fast paced story set in NYC. For me it was reminiscent of Sophie Kinsella meets John green. I loved Meredith, the main character. She was cool and relatable, and felt like someone I would be friends with. I especially loved the flashback scenes of Meredith and Wesley in college. It not only made me nostalgic for my own college experience but was so cute, it gave me all the right feels. I was totally invested in this story and couldn’t wait to find out what was goin ...more
    Natalie G
    Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
    *eARC received from the publishers through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

What can I say about this one, other than READ IT. My friends who love Colleen Hoover, Staci Hart, and Emily Giffin will love this one. I went into it almost completely blind, not even remembering the synopsis after a "first day on Netgalley" requesting frenzy, so I didn't really know what I was getting into. I will say that I think it's almost better that way, which is tempting me to leave an intentionally vag
    Cathy Geha
    Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    That’s Not a Thing by Jacqueline Friedland

What a story! Talk about a roller coaster ride of emotions that at times made me feel that the characters were dealing with the roller coaster car about to careen off the rails. This book was filled with feels and had me thinking about what I would have done if in the position of Meredith but also of Aaron, Wesley and some of the supporting characters. This book will definitely stay with me for awhile.

The story beings in 2017 but flips back to a period
    Michele
    That's Not a Thing grabbed my attention and didn't let go. I went into it expecting one thing and Ms. Friedland delivered something entirely different....and I liked it...a lot.

At its heart, this book is about dealing with life's disappointments and moving forward. It also shows in heartbreaking clarity how life's choices can impact your future in both good and bad ways. You should live life fully every day with no regrets....easier said than done, I know.

The main character, Meredith is engaged
    Linda Zagon
    May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    WOW! Jacqueline Friedland, author of "That's Not a Thing" has written a unique, heartbreaking, memorable, captivating, intriguing, and thought-provoking novel. The genres for this novel are fiction and women's fiction. The timeline for this story is set in the present and goes to the past when it pertains to the events or characters. The author describes her dramatic characters as complex and complicated.

Meredith Altman and her fiance Aaron Rapp, who is a physician are celebrating their engageme
    Heather
    Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley, 2020
    This book wasn't quite what I expected in a good way. Meredith is engaged to Aaron and they are out to dinner with her cousin and her cousin's boyfriend to celebrate. Then who shows up as the chef of the restaurant, no other than Wesley, Meredith's ex. But not just an ex boyfriend, but her ex fiance. Awkwardness ensues.

After they leave the dinner Meredith is reeling from seeing someone she was once so close to, but hasn't had contact with in years. Slowly through some flashbacks we learn how th
    Debbie
    Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    My hearts breaking for the end of this book. I savored this read more than any other read I've read in awhile so the characters have been in my life for a few weeks. I'm at a loss right now. The story really burrowed inside of me and won't be leaving anytime soon.
    Wesley and Meredith were meant to be until they weren't. Meredith somehow finds a way to go on eventually and meets the kind, gorgeous doctor Aaron her current fiance. Her world collides one night while celebrating her engagement they
    Marisa
    May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Compulsively readable! This is true contemporary fiction written the way it should be like a true “slice of life”. I love stories that drop me into the center of a characters life for awhile and just experience situations with them. This is the story of Meredith Altman and two men who she loves and l loved. Told 10 years apart (2018 and 2008) we see how Meredith’s fiances, Wes and Aaron shaped her life and decisions. Wes, her first love, her first heartbreak. Aaron her present and future. It was ...more
    Stephanie
    Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it
    Mannnn. I wanted to love this one so badly. It has all of the elements that make up my perfect read.

Unfortunately it just fell flat for me. So many subplots were never mentioned again and not wrapped up in any way. WHY did they spend so much time talking about the immigrant she was representing? Page after page of super detailed information and then POOF- he's just never mentioned again.

Meredith is one of the most self-obsessed, unlikeable MCs ever. She's so wrapped up in herself it makes it imp
    Erin Colvin
    Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Thank you to the publisher for the review copy in exchange for an honest review.

For fans of Rebecca Serle’s books The Dinner List or In Five Years

This book drew me in right away. There are sad moments in it but it’s not a sad book. I felt as torn as the main character did. I would have liked to have read more about her and Wesley falling in love in college - the flashbacks ended around the second part of the book and left me wondering. There were just some missing pieces that I would have enjoy
    Mandi (mandi_reads)
    May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
    If you liked The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo, you need to pick this up. It has ALL the feels in all the best ways. Friedland wrote about some heavy topics and kept it real. Everything felt relatable, nothing was wrapped up in some neat shiny bow, there was imperfection and people facing real things in real ways, it was messy and yet, perfect at the same time. This book will make you think, make you cry and when you close the book make you feel like everything will be ok. I'm going to have a ...more
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Evvie Drake Starts Over
    • The Flatshare
    • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin #1)
    • Small Great Things
    • Pretty Things
    • One True Loves
    • How to Save a Life
    • Valentine
    Jacqueline Friedland holds a BA from the University of Pennsylvania and a JD from NYU Law School. She practiced as an attorney in New York before returning to school to receive her MFA from Sarah Lawrence College. She lives in New York with her husband, four children, and a couple of crazy dogs.

News & Interviews