Start by marking “Prescriptive Stretching” as Want to Read:
Prescriptive Stretching

Prescriptive Stretching

No one likes to live with aches and pain. Whether the pain is caused by poor posture, repetitive movements, injury, or sedentary behavior, Prescriptive Stretching, Second Edition, can help put you on the path to feeling better and living without the pain.

Prescriptive Stretching features full-color anatomical illustrations and step-by-step instructions for dozens of the
Kindle Edition
Published November 20th 2019 by Human Kinetics, Inc. (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Prescriptive Stretching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prescriptive Stretching

Start your review of Prescriptive Stretching
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
How I read this: Free ebook copy received through Edelweiss

This is a wonderful, detailed book about stretching. The mechanisms are explained well, and there are detailed drawings, and ever so many different stretches, explanations on why they're needed or what they prevent. I was at first so awed with the book I wanted to buy it straight away! But then I tried doing the exercises and realized there is going to be a problem for me personally with following written and drawn explanations. There's
Bernie Gourley
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Many people have problems that they are only aware of through symptoms like head aches or back pain that result from imbalances in muscle tightness. This book explores stretching, systematically.

The book is divided into four parts. The first, entitled “Stretching Fundamentals,” presents fundamental principles and background information. Besides basic guidelines for stretching, it also discusses anatomy and physiology of the muscular system at a rudimentary level.

The second part is about
Rebecca
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: exercise, non-fiction
This is the most comprehensive and mechanically helpful book on stretching I've seen. The stretches are illustrated with anatomical drawings of the area with the specific muscle highlighted. This is most helpful for me to make sure I was stretching the right muscle. Some of the stretches are also illustrated from different angles so you can make sure you're in the right position.

Why this book was great for me:
Learning the specific stretches for muscles when there is more than one muscle in the
Ryan
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I’ve been more active lately I’ve had more aches and pains. This book has a wide range of stretches to cover your normal typical muscle troubles. Most of it is very clear but a few stretches could use better illustrations.
Divya
Jun 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although static stretching in isolation will not correct the imbalances of the body, I feel like this is a good book to use in conjunction with myofascial release, and corrective exercise. Moreover, the illustrations are phenomenal,and I like how it goes into WHY certain muscles are tight/trigger points and what are other symptoms around the body that result from this tightness. I also like how it talks about how your pain might be caused from other trigger points: for example how the upper back ...more
Ellen
This book hooked me when the cover illustration pinpointed a neck muscle that has been tight and tense for two years. Prior to reading this book, I was getting treatments and massages that only relieved the pain for a day or two. After following the mild stretching exercises for three days (less than 10 minutes a day), the muscle loosened, and the pain when away. The stretches are gentle, and the instructions are very specific. The medical illustrations help visualize where the muscle is and ...more
Carolyn
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a straightforward tonic of a book targeted towards anyone with muscular tightness or imbalance. It is simple and compact but includes not only a thorough description of each stretch, but also common errors made in their execution, and a prophylactic listing of common causes of tightness in each muscle group. The book is extremely effective in reaching its objective, but feels as though it falls short by missing some of the more minor muscle groups. A concise overview of functional ...more
Daniel
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Köpte den här på bokrean för några år sedan och sen dess har den samlat damm.

Nu har jag börjat gå till och från jobbet och letade i bokhyllan efter en bok med stretchövningar för ben och höften. Då hittade jag den här och läste igenom den från pärm till pärm.

Det är en lättläst bok med tydliga exempel på varje övning. Övningarna verkar täcka alla de större musklerna. Men jag är inte tillräckligt duktig på fysiologi för att bedömma om det är världens bästa tips men för en total nybörjare
Cheryl Scaccio
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that I take with me on long trips. The exercises are unique and very specific to various ailments. The neck stretches in particular have saved me trips to the osteopath for injections. This is an important manual for self-care. You do have to take your time and read through the instructions for the various stretches, but they're laid out very clearly. Having studied massage and the teaching of yoga, I appreciate seeing what muscles are being released.
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aadl
I love this book. I feel like it is almost single-handedly responsible for keeping me walking around and not in immense amounts of pain. It is easy to follow, and it helps to know when you aren't doing the stretch correctly or need to change something. And the illustrations are wonderful.
Misti
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, it's not your action packed novel, but it is very good and informative. If you do not have knowledge of your muscle anatomy, it gives a detailed description, with pictures of this. It helps you find the exact cause and treatment for your pain and related muscles.
Claudia
Heidi Dye
Jan 10, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void
  • Treat Your Own Knees: A Self-Help Treatment Plan to Fully Rehabilitate 26 Common Knee Injuries and Conditions
  • Treat Your Own Knees: Simple Exercises to Build Strength, Flexibility, Responsiveness and Endurance
  • The Illustrated Light on Yoga
  • Light on Yoga
  • The Anatomy of Stretching
  • Dr. McDougall's Digestive Tune-Up
  • The Modern Art and Science of Mobility
  • Plant-Based Sports Nutrition: Expert Fueling Strategies for Training, Recovery, and Performance
  • The Memory Illusion: Remembering, Forgetting, and the Science of False Memory
  • Caesar's Last Breath: Decoding the Secrets of the Air Around Us
  • Fascial Release for Structural Balance, Revised Edition
  • Eight Flavors: The Untold Story of American Cuisine
  • The Strange Order of Things: Life, Feeling, and the Making of Cultures
“Following are the most common reasons for shortened muscles and trigger points: Stress Bad posture Static load Sitting (general inactivity) Sleeping for an extended time in an uncomfortable position Repeated movements (especially above the head) Training with poor technique Sitting with crossed legs Habitually carrying a bag on the same shoulder Feeling cold” 0 likes