Start by marking “Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching” as Want to Read:
Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching

Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching

(Teaching Techniques in English as a Second Language)

This book provides a practical overview of the most important methods in the field. Readers are drawn into classrooms where various teaching methods and approaches are being used. They are encouraged to reflect on their own beliefs and to develop their own approach to language teaching.
Published May 11th 2000 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published February 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching

Start your review of Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching
Exina
Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching was a required reading for my methodology classes. A great and practical overview of teaching methods.
Brad
Feb 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pedagogy
A decent overview of ten teaching styles for second language teachers, Techniques and Principles of Language Teaching is best used as a hub for additional reading.
Salva
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A nice, well written, introduction to language teaching methods.
Soma Ahmadi
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for beginners!
Bình  Lê
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
I always wonder and ask myself that "How to be a good English teacher in the future". Fortunately, this book (also a very important subject in my syllabus) and what I have learnt about teaching methodology in university help me to apprehend this point in the process of practising teaching English through demo lessons. It's more than some teaching techniques I have learnt in the first "Teaching Methodology" (a course) , because It is generalized some teaching techniques/approaches in another ...more
Zeynep
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So - for the course Approaches to English Language Teaching, we were following Larsen-Freeman and Richards and Rodgers, both of which I actually read, instead of treat them like coursebooks. I did not read them as thoroughly as I would like to - the last chapter, for example, I skipped some parts but I actually find both books very, very helpful and understandable. Especially this one makes a great work by actually showing the application of the techniques & principles. I enjoyed reading it ...more
Billie Pritchett
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Authors Diane Larsen-Freeman and Marti Anderson in the most recent edition of this boom survey the various language teaching methods and also some innovations in teaching methods. These methods include the Grammar Translation Method, Direct Method, Audio-Lingual Method, Silent Way, Desuggestopedia, Community Language Learning, Total Physical Response, and Communicative Language Teaching. The innovations include Content-Based Instruction, Task-Based Language Teaching, the Participatory Approach, ...more
Black Bones
It seems the teaching theories and methods have been oscillating through the time. For example, one time it says that correcting students' mistakes or errors is right, another time it says it's bad (according to behaviorism) and again after a decade another theory comes to prove it's good to correct students' errors. It's as if every time certain people said something and made it into a theory without considering the previous ones. :/
Aliah
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very concise overview of language teaching approaches. Each chapter contains a lesson description, followed by discussion and outlining the principles.
Kelly
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Great reference for language teaching techniques. The related youtube videos are also very helpful to visualize what's actually happening in the classroom.
Julia
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars
Leonard Joseph
This book from freeman has really got me to realize what teaching Language really means!
Keith Hunt
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
As an ESOL teacher, I think this is an important read for anyone in my profession.

To argue why I think so, I will use a quick sports analogy: Mixed Martial Arts or MMA.

In MMA, the athletes combine many different combat sports--boxing, jiu jitsu, wrestling, etc. As language teachers, I feel we should also be able to combine many different methods and to choose the best one when appropriate.

For example, some language-learning situations may call for some Audiolingual Method. Some language-learning
Toofan
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most important foreign language teaching methods are introduced in a fun and easy to understand way. Each chapter is well structured, easy to read, comprehend and remember, and at the same time rich in information.
Rim Khiari
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Informative and easy to browse. The content is clear and organized in a way anyone can understand the different approaches, methods and concepts mentioned.
CinderBelle615
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it

Good for newbie teachers.
Brittany Brenner
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, msu
Extremely accessible text with an abundance of explicit examples and many lists of techniques with their underlying principles. One of the most helpful books about FL methods I've ever come across!
مصطفى الزهاوي
Feb 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
i think it is important book , and i want to read it
Nura.m
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for all those who are thinking of becoming teachers or involving in the academic/ teaching felid. It gives you a rich feedback about all the teaching techniques in both the modern and the old ways.
Khansa
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: teaching
it can be a good introductory book for people interested in LT, but one should bear in mind that the methods mentioned in this book only provide insights into some ideas & strategies to be used & not to be followed, or applied, literally given the difference in contexts, students, ...etc
SA®A
Some methods & approaches in teaching languages.
I've been reading this newest version as you can see in turquoise-colored cover , but as i read it there was no change in content!
Irfan
Mar 28, 2016 added it
Karyn
All the theories. Lots to consider and draw from.
Larissa
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
if you're looking for information on teaching methods and its principles with no intention of picking one as you modus operandi, this is the book. it's informational and didactic.
Naqib
Jul 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: studies
it is a good book... considering it is for studying...><
Magga
Very clearly set up and highly informative.
Karlita
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
gooodddd
Sean Stalley
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a good reference for some of the more influential language teaching techniques. It's unbiased and presents each method with an example and a breakdown of the principles involved.
Ahmad R.

• Passages Student's Book 1: An Upper-Level Multi-Skills Course
  • How to Teach English
  • Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language
  • Designing Language Courses: A Guide for Teachers
  • Learning Teaching (Macmillan Books for Teachers)
  • A Course in Phonetics
  • New Interchange 3 Student's Book
  • Interchange 2 Student's Book
  • An Introduction to Language
  • Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy
  • Interchange 1 Student's Book
Diane Larsen-Freeman is a Professor of Education, Professor of Linguistics, and a Research Scientist at the English Language Institute of Michigan. She is also a Distinguished Senior Faculty Fellow at the School for International Training in Brattleboro, Vermont, USA. A teacher educator for over 30 years, Professor Larsen-Freeman has published numerous books and articles about second language ...more

Teaching Techniques in English as a Second Language (7 books)
  • Techniques and Resources in Teaching Reading