Start by marking “Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)” as Want to Read:
Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)

Watchdog

(Melanie Travis #5)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  896 ratings  ·  34 reviews
It's autumn in Connecticut. Melanie Travis has just started a new job, and with the added excitement of showing her standard poodle, Faith, in the fall shows, the last thing she wants is to become embroiled in yet another of her brother Frank's moneymaking schemes. His current brainstorm--remaking an old store in stylish suburban Fairfield County into a trendy coffee bar-- ...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Kensington (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Watchdog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watchdog

really liked it 4.00  ·

Dyana
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fifth in the series is another light-hearted cozy mystery with well-developed characters and plenty to learn about dog handling and shows. The title of the book refers to Melanie's roll as watchdog and diligent big sister when her brother Frank approaches her with another moneymaking scheme.

School is back in session and single mom Melanie Travis has a new job. She is now an on-campus tutor at Howard Academy which is a private school near downtown Greenwich, Connecticut. One morning Frank s
Georgette
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers, cozy readers, and competitive dog afficianados
Last time I read (recently) a Melanie Travis book, her son Davey was 5..now he is 6? Where does the time go. I adore this series while so many books sit on my shelves. The plots are different, from book to book but the subplots a intricately created all to crest to a fine end, with the threads of the next adventure.
This one finds a romance heating up, an Aunt being beat at her own 'game', her brother getting into more trouble, and introducing some new characters. Melanie is increasing both her t
andrea
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-book
More like a 2.5 star read. Pleasant enough. Read in an afternoon sitting on my deck, getting some Sun and enjoying a cocktail...which is exactly the kind of book this is. As long as you don't expect much...you'll be content.

SPOILER! SPOILER! SPOILER!! SPOILER!! SPOILER!! SPOILER!

I hope moving forward not EVERY murder is committed because of dog breeding/gene issues. Of the 5 I've read...at least 3 revolve around that.
I know they are dogcentric books....but seriously it makes it way too easy to s
ReadaBook
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
While other readers have criticized the amount of information about dog shows and poodle grooming provided in the series, and this particular book, I find that an interesting addition. (Those who don't enjoy reading about such activities might be better served by seeking another cosy mystery series!) I like the threads of humor from Melanie, and I like the character development. A really enjoyable series!
Gail
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Got boring towards the end! Don't like boring books.
Chris Leuchtenburg
Standard light plot. A pleasant interlude between more demanding reading.
Lena H.
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Getting better and better. I'm kind of glad I waited so long to start this series so I have more to read :)
Shirley Ross
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this series
Lynne
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. If you like dogs this series is for you.
Dena
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is so much less the mystery and more the characters that I so dearly love about these books. Loving watching Melanie's life grow. On to the next one!
Kelly
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable mystery romp in the dog show world

Another fun adventure featuring Melanie Travis. Recommend it highly for your beach reading list. A light read that wasn't lighting in.
Lynn Demsky
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
A mixture of just too much ---Melanie has a new teaching job, is raising her six-year-old son by herself, showing her standard poodle in dog shows, falling in love ---along with the suspense of the murder of her brother’s partner in business. I didn’t really enjoy this one, that much. I did find the title interesting as it does not refer to any of the dogs in the book but as older sister to a careless, non-responsible brother she is again WATCHING HIM therefore making HER the watch dog.
Kathryn
Nov 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Funny how we don't hear much from Melanie Travis's brother Frank in her previous mystery adventures. We know he exists, and we've seen him a few times during family get-togethers; all the same, I'm sure Melanie prefers not to have him around, for when he is he's either raiding her refrigerator or asking for money.

In Watchdog, Frank is asking for much more: he wants his sister to help clear his name when a business associate is murdered.

Frank's latest big venture in a string of failed jobs and pr
Julesy
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great entry in the series! It was a bit convoluted between the land development and dog breeding but I think I understood it all and was satisfied with the ending.

I enjoyed how Mel's brother Frank is included more in this book but he annoys me so! I wish Mel would just get a back bone with him and tell him emphatically "NO!".

Looking forward to reading the next one very soon!

I gave this 4.5 stars.
Stephanie
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-dog-books
I absolutely love this series! Melanie seems to always find herself solving a murder and the story is so entertained that it keeps me reading. I love the relative between Melanie and Sam and can't wait to see what the future books have in store for the two of them and of course, Davey, Aunt Peg and the dogs!
Emily Cullen
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Teacher and dog show hobbyist Melanie Travis is pulled in again to find out who killed a wealthy business man when her brother is the number one subject. I really enjoy this cozy mystery series. It's got great characters, romance and good mysteries. It does delve heavily into the dog show world so if dogs aren't your scene you may not find it to your liking.
Julie
It's only been a day or two since I finished this one and I don't know how to rate it because, frankly, I barely remember it. That's probably a bad sign, though whether about me or the book is questionable.
A
Nov 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I didn't think I would enjoy this book because previous books about dogs and their handlers were often boring. But this book had a bit of a bite to it and I enjoyed reading about the world of show dogs and their handlers.
Candy
Apr 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book because it includes a cousin to my breed - smooth fox terrier. I felt the mystery was the weakest of the series so far, and the story line of the brother was exasperating. But I still found it a pleasurable read.
Darinda
The 5th book in the Melanie Travis mystery series by Laurien Berenson. Melanie gets involved with another mystery when her brother is suspected of murder. Fun and entertaining cozy mystery. Especially good for dog lovers.
Nan
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Good story.. Quick read.. I now know more about showing Standard Poodles than i ever wanted to know..l If you are a dog person this would be better..
Becky Galambos
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Rereading this series in order, finally! Love the characters, and this book introduces my second favorite character, Sam.
Corinne
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book. Love the Melanie Travis series. I am a dog lover and enjoy all the information about the dog show circuit.
Kathy
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this series. Funny and engaging and I like all the dogs. Its nice that the romance keeps moving forward too. Just a nice fun read
Ajcc
Apr 13, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-813-54-bere, m
F 813.54 BERE
Lona
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Quick and fun read. Who could put down a book that has standard poodle characters?
Sue Kozlowski
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, mystery
Really good! Melanie shows dogs. Her brother Frank works on opening a coffee shop and gets accused of murder.
Sarahanne
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of the series. This book had focus on Frank & that added interested to all the characters. Aunt Peg is a softy after all, right?

Donna
Jul 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Enjoyed for a quick read.
Jeanette
Most of the books in this series are rather boring, but this one was a faster pace it seemed and more interesting.

• The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)
  • The Barker Street Regulars (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #11)
  • Parrots Prove Deadly (Pru Marlowe, #3)
  • Catch as Cat Can (Sunny & Shadow Mystery #5)
  • Twice Told Tail (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery #6)
  • Cat With a Clue (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #5)
Laurien Berenson is the bestselling author of the Melanie Travis canine mystery series. Her books revolve around the world of dog shows, a milieu she knows well as her family has been involved in the sport of dogs for three generations. There are currently twenty-three Melanie Travis mysteries, including the newest book, BITE CLUB.

Berenson is a four time winner of the Maxwell Award for Fiction fro

Melanie Travis (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • Hush Puppy (Melanie Travis, #6)
  • Unleashed (Melanie Travis, #7)
  • Once Bitten (Melanie Travis, #8)
  • Hot Dog (Melanie Travis, #9)
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)
  • Jingle Bell Bark (Melanie Travis, #11)