Start by marking “Raining Cats & Dogs (Melanie Travis, #12)” as Want to Read:
Raining Cats & Dogs (Melanie Travis, #12)

Raining Cats & Dogs (Melanie Travis #12)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  648 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Melanie Travis has her hands full these days, what with adding a husband and three more dogs to her already cramped home. The advanced obedience training for her dog Faith is a welcome respite from the stresses of house hunting--until murder forces Melanie to the head of the class. . .

Even amidst the chaos, Melanie somehow manages to eke out a bit of time to get Faith enro
Published August 1st 2006 by Kensington (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Raining Cats & Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raining Cats & Dogs

Karen & Gerard
Sep 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, funny
Raining Cats and Dogs by Laurien Berenson is a murder mystery with some dog and cat stories tossed in which added some humor. The main character has five poodles and a neighbor who has a bunch of cats. Her private life relating to her neighbor was the humorous part of the book. She and her poodle went to a dog obedience class which invited her to join them on their visit to the nursing home. Although they weren't therapy dogs exactly, many of the residents enjoyed seeing the dogs. I was interest ...more
Karen B.
Melanie Travis takes her standard poodle, Faith to obedience school. Through one of the other humans in the class, she learns that the class has been visiting a local nursing home to bring pet therapy to the residents. On her visit Melanie has a wonderful time, determined to return the next week. But as she is leaving the nursing home she learns that one of the residents has been murdered. This sets Melanie on her sleuthing adventure determined to find out what really happened to "Aunt Mary". Th ...more
Anne
Sep 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Enjoyable book. For dog lovers and mystery lovers alike.
Emily Cullen
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Melanie Travis is adjusting to married life and five standard poodles in a small house when she has the opportunity to bring her dog faith into a nursing home with the other Obedience Club members. But their first visit ends in tragedy when a patient is found suffocated in her bed. Melanie now has a reputation of being a sleuth and the woman's relative asks for her help. I really enjoy the "Melanie Travis" mysteries, especially watching the evolution of the main characters.
Dana
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this installment in this series. Melanie is a good main character. She grows in each installment. Her interactions with the other semi-main characters are good and there is a lot of humor. The mystery in this one was just so-so. The writing flows in a conversational manner.
Lena Harper
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Possibly my favorite in the series so far. Somewhat of an Agatha Christie-esque storyline, interesting characters and while we were a bit lacking in motives that only lent to the mystery.
Sharyn Hutchens
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great light read!

I've read most of Laurien Berenson's books and this one is no disappointment. As always her 'dog lingo' is spot on and therefore doesn't grate on the nerves of those of us In the dog show world (although I think you refer to obedience titles, not degrees). My only criticism, and it is small, is that Faith is just too perfect. She never does anything naughty! And in this book, though she is a conformation trained dog, she seemed to get obedience commands a little too quickly. Yes
Celeste
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Disappointing, but not awful. I picked it up from the library. hoping that it would be as charming and along the lines of "The Cat Who . . ." novels by Lilian Jackson Braun. However, the book was 90% poodles and only 10% (at most) mystery. There were few clues and it was solved in the last 10 pages after wasting lots of time on poodle obedience classes and less time on a neighbor with a cat and a house swap with an ex-husband. Needs a better balance -- unless of course you just want to read abou ...more
Julia
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Another solid book in the Melanie Travis series. A murder is committed in a senior residential facility, and it is up to Melanie to figure out who did it. The murderer is not readily apparent, so it is hard to guess who it is. Melanie has joined an obedience training class with her dog, Faith, and also joins the group in visits to the senior home. There are several new people and their dogs to meet. As a dog lover, it is always interesting to read books about other dog lovers. I am looking forwa ...more
Joan
May 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Melanie Travis and her poodles are back for another spot of crime-solving. I enjoyed this title far less than the others I have read. The early murder of a very sympathetic character was disturbing, and the solution was just plain foolish, as if the author had written the requisite number of words and had to end the story in a hurry. The usual characters were, as always, enjoyable, but the new ones were never fully developed and remained two-dimensional.
Sherrill Watson
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Since I've had some experience training my dogs (which was funny, incidentally) I skimmed over parts of the first 30 pages. Like the other readers I was put off by Melanie's dislike of cats -- I like both -- and surprised that a nursing home would let a novice come in with a big dog. I liked Melanie's family dynamics though they were cardboard characters. The title -- there was no rain and no cats, so . . . ?????
Karen Beris
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was a really quick read. I read the majority of it over two days. The story has a good plot. This woman goes to an assisted living facility with her dog to entertain the residents. While she is there a woman dies. The main character tries to figure out who killed the woman. The characters are well thought out.
Dorothy Timm
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Being an animal lover, I enjoyed this book. However, if you're not crazy about dogs, there were some things I didn't like. The motive for the murder, information you needed to try to solve it, wasn't made known to the reader until near the end. Also, I didn't like the choice of who was murdered. It was kind of sad. And she didn't like cats, which I do. Overall, enjoyable, but not overly so.
Myra
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Melanie is enlisted to investigate the death of an elderly resident of a nursing home. A death that coincidentally happens during Melanie's first visit to the home with her standard poodle, Faith. An entertaining, well-plotted mystery. It would have gotten four stars but the vilification of cats in this book was a little heavy-handed.
Rachel
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melanie Travis enrolls her poodle Faith in an obedience class. During the classes visit to a nursing home the great aunt of one of the class members is murdered and Melanie becomes involved in solving the case. A light mystery with a bit too much about how wonderful poodles are.
Shanon Erickson
Apr 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
not worth wasting ur time!!!!
Lindig
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Dog breeder (poodles)
Natalie
May 01, 2014 rated it liked it
One of my least favorite...
Lois Hecksel
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another delightful cozy mystery with lots of dog information and Melanie Travis snooping to find the killer of an elderly woman in a local nursing home.
Julie
The mystery is a little limp in this one, but I enjoyed the character interactions.
Pat
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I thought this was a very interesting book. There was lots going on beside the murder and that kept me turning the pages. A winner!
Mary
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable Melanie Travis mystery.
Debbie
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mind-candy
If you like dogs - and mysteries - then this is a fun book to read. If you don't like those two things, this is not the book for you!
Suzanne Platt
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
I'm finishing it but I am not drawn to read any other books. Not much of a mystery.
Lisa
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another series I have to catch up in. Every time I read one I decide I would love to have a standard poodle...
Anne Hayes
May 20, 2016
Linda
Feb 27, 2015
Ann P. Dixon
Nov 30, 2015
  • Ten Little Bloodhounds
  • Stud Rites
  • Fine-Feathered Death (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-sitter Mystery, #3)
  • Trouble at High Tide (Murder, She Wrote, #37)
  • Murder Can Botch Up Your Birthday (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #11)
  • Catnapped (An Animal Instinct Mystery #1)
  • Gun Shy (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #3)
  • Owls Well That Ends Well (Meg Langslow, #6)
Laurien Berenson is the author of more than thirty novels that have sold two million copies worldwide. Her cozy mystery series revolves around the world of dog shows, a milieu she knows well as her family has been involved in the sport of dogs for three generations. There are currently twenty Melanie Travis canine mysteries, including the newest book in the series, MURDER AT THE PUPPY FEST.

Berenso
More about Laurien Berenson...

Melanie Travis (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)
  • Hush Puppy (Melanie Travis, #6)
  • Unleashed (Melanie Travis, #7)
  • Once Bitten (Melanie Travis, #8)
  • Hot Dog (Melanie Travis, #9)
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)