Start by marking “Stardust: Supernovae and Life -- The Cosmic Connection” as Want to Read:
Stardust: Supernovae and Life -- The Cosmic Connection

Stardust: Supernovae and Life -- The Cosmic Connection

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  167 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
We are made of stardust--and so is all life as we know it. All the chemical elements on earth except hydrogen--including the ones in our bodies--have been processed inside stars, scattered across the universe in great stellar explosions, and recycled to become new stars, planets, and parts of us.
In this engrossing book, John and Mary Gribbin relate the developments in twe
Published August 11th 2001 by Yale University Press (first published 2000)

Jodie "Bookish"  Cook
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Book Review
Title: Stardust

Author: John Gribbin

Genre: Non-fiction/Science/Theoretical Science/Historical Science

Rating: * *

Review:The atoms in your body were forged in the nuclear fires at the heart of a nearby star, or in the exploding supernova that marked its death. This intimate connection between life on a small blue planet and creative destruction in the heavens is a fetish of popular cosmology. Twentieth-century science delivered many startling facts about the universe, but the one Joni Mi
Chris Donovan
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great, a very enjoyable read explaining how elements heavier than hydrogen and helium are created through the physics/chemistry of supernovae (exploding stars). Recommended
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Origins of chemical elements/solar systems/us. OK
Barnaby Thieme
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, astronomy
Most of us have heard that all of the atoms in our bodies other than helium and hydrogen were forged in the nuclear furnaces of stars - that we are ourselves, so to speak, stardust.

Popular science writer John Gribbin, with the assistance of his wife and co-author, spin this intriguing and evocative factoid into a book-length review of findings in cosmology, astrophysics, chemistry and evolutionary biology to explore the literal truth of the claim.

The result is not just a poetic whimsy or arbit
Brian Bohmueller
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
An excellent qualitative discussion of the evidence based science from post inflation to current day. Gribbin succeeds at describing in detail many of the phenomena involved in formation of the varieties of elements, molecules, stars, and life precursors. I especially liked his detail in describing the variety of supernovae. Although math is sparingly presented, the material is presented in a fashion that a serious lay-scientist (me ;) appreciated. I would have liked to see a bit more of the mat ...more
Shane Hall
I somehow got ahold of a "UPC" version of this book: uncorrected proof copy. Yes, it was full of proof errors, but not as many as I was expecting. I credit Gribbin's writing: simply and very clearly stated. In fact, that's the key to this book and its ideas about Interstellar Organic Genesis. It really is what it says: the birth of life in space, pre-planet.

Sounds a little hokey maybe when I read it back to myself, but don't let that fool you: This book is an exceptional read and a great example
Sam
Aug 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in physics but was afraid to ask questions
This book is a good intro to, physics, astronomy, biology and chemistry. I have not read any of his other books, but I can rest assured that I now understand more of what the world is made up of, and how some of the people today think it got that way.
Interesting discussion of what is inside a star, I can now see why both my parents loved science and still do. Though I will not join them in getting a degree in a science, I will now read more science books.
Gordon Gatiss
Sep 19, 2013 rated it liked it
This is another good book by the author. A readable book that will take the reader on a journey of discovery. Interesting and thoughtful narrative on what a star is made of how the forming of stars creates new atoms, and how the dying of stars creates new atoms, and how those atom become life. We are all stardust ... how wonderful.
Titi-lola
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"We are made of stardust. Every atom of every element in your body except for hydrogen has been manufactured inside stars, scattered across the Universe in great stellar explosions, and recycled to become part of you."

So beautiful.
Kozmo Kliegl
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read on how, over the eons, the Universe started being just gas and through the life & death of stars (of all sizes) came to be filled with at leat one life-bearing planet.

I speculate that we'll find extraterreatrial life within a decade.
Abailart
May 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Astrobiolgy, origins of the cosmos, extrasolar planets, organic and inorganic life, a great springboard to keep up with the latest research in this exciting field.
Peter
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great way to get an insight into our origins and destiny via this enlightening book!
Oh and by the way my copy was published in 2001 first published 2000
Cian Ó
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: astrophysics, science
Fantastic, fast paced educational book.
Andrew
  • Faster Than the Speed of Light: The Story of a Scientific Speculation
  • Full Moon
  • Before the Fallout: From Marie Curie to Hiroshima
  • Introducing Time
  • Empire of the Stars: Obsession, Friendship and Betrayal in the Quest for Black Holes
  • Galileo: A Very Short Introduction
  • Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction
  • The End of Science: Facing the Limits of Knowledge in the Twilight of the Scientific Age
  • A Brief History of the Universe
  • Atom: An Odyssey from the Big Bang to Life on Earth...and Beyond
  • The Red Limit
  • What Mad Pursuit
  • About Time: Cosmology and Culture at the Twilight of the Big Bang
  • The Aquatic Ape Hypothesis (Condor Independent Voices)
  • Electric Universe: How Electricity Switched on the Modern World
  • The Goldilocks Enigma: Why is the Universe Just Right for Life?
  • The Origins of Life: From the Birth of Life to the Origin of Language
  • Cosmology: A Very Short Introduction
John R. Gribbin is a British science writer, an astrophysicist, and a visiting fellow in astronomy at the University of Sussex. The topical range of his prolific writings includes quantum physics, biographies of famous scientists, human evolution, the origins of the universe, climate change and global warming. His also writes science fiction.

John Gribbin graduated with his bachelor's degree in phy
More about John Gribbin

$12.99 $1.99
  • Who Gets What — and Why: The New Economics of Matchmaking and Market Design
  • The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Trip to Echo Spring: On Writers and Drinking
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Paris Letters
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Secret History of the Mongol Queens: How the Daughters of Genghis Khan Rescued His Empire
  • Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation