Start by marking “Rabbit Ears” as Want to Read:
Rabbit Ears

Rabbit Ears

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  133 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Hopscotch knows what he likes and what he doesn't like and he "doesn't "like getting his ears washed. In fact, he'll do just about anything to avoid it. But when Hopscotch's big cousin Bobtail comes to spend the night and doesn't even flinch when it comes to the dreaded ear-washing hour, Hopscotch makes a startling discovery: big rabbits wash their own ears!"
Published March 7th 2006 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rabbit Ears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rabbit Ears

Alice
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-25-stars
4.25 stars You had me at Rabbit! An adorable book about washing your eyes, growing up and being responsible! So cute! I liked this book "aah LOT!"
Pam
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
First time read for me, although A says she's read it and loved it before. Good pictures, good story. I really liked it! And I'm glad we're reading every children's book so I find books like this that I've never heard before to enjoy!
Kathryn
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
If the picture on the cover makes you smile, don't miss this charmer.
Violet Lewis
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rabbit Ears is an excellent book that can help children learn about being independent. The illustrations were large and colorful. This would be a great book to read to children during the all about me theme.

Learning activity:

As a class we will discuss the events of the book. What does the character like? What doesnt he like? What is he good at doing? I will ask the class to refelect and share some things that they like to do and are good at and things they do not like and are not so good at. I
Marjorie
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Like most little ones, Hopscoth doesn't always do what his mother asks. In this case, it's washing his ears. His mom tries many ways to get him to cooperate, but he resists, until his cousin comes to visit. This charming story will encourage children to do things that make them feel more grown up. But the ending lets them know it's still okay to be little. My girls like to visit with their older cousin, so I enjoyed this story, having seen them learn from someone a little bit older. The illustra ...more
Tim Hackbarth
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Rabbit Ears is an anthropomorphic book about a rabbit who was afraid to wash his ears. His fears were only diffused when he watched his older cosign wash his ears. This book clearly shows how knowledge is empowering. It provides a way for children to understand their own experience and ask questions. The explicit point of the book is to learn how to do things for yourself. The implicit point is to understand the reasons behind the decisions we make. It is a great book for lower elementary.
Library Quine
A nice story about Hopscotch the rabbit who DOESN'T like to have his ears washed. Hopscotch's mum uses all sorts of enticements to get him to comply. It brings in issues of negotiation, refusal to comply, growing up, becoming independent and sleeping over.
There are some lovely touches to the illustrations, including Hopscotch wearing oven gloves on his ears to hide them at bath time. He also makes a cat disguise with a paper bag which would made a nice extension activity.
Irina
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is about a rabbit named Hopscotch who hates letting his mom clean his ears. One day he notices that his older cousin cleans his own ears, and he decides that he has to learn to clean his own ears so that he can be big like his cousin. This book is so cute and it sends a message about becoming independent.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Hopscotch the rabbit doesn't like to get his ears washed, no matter how hard his mother tries. One day his older cousin is staying over and happily washes his ears, Hopscotch has a change of mind after watching him. First he practices on his stuffed rabbit, then on himself. Victory..... P.K.
Melissa
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very cute. Especially good for younger children.
Jessica
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
So darling! I love Hopscotch the bunny, we also have NO BABYSITTERS ALLOWED. This is a great book for kids who don't want their hair or faces washed.
Christi
Sep 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: thekids
Requested by Mei Mei several times.
Mrs.Capuano
A book all about responsibilities and learning to do things for ourselves.
Peacegal
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Great expressions on the bunny.
Liza Gilbert
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Rankin's art is superb and really brings the story to life. It is cute without being nauseating, would do well for a storytime, and is good enough to warrant repeat readings.
Bear
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such adorable illustrations...seriously...just get it for the pictures. The story is great too...but the pictures.
Connie
May 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jv
Illustrated by Laura Rankin, I love the expressions on Hopscotch and his mother's face. Cute story about the incentives we find to grow up.
Trisan
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: child-2
great for becoming independent.
Shala Howell
Oct 16, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Cute story about bath time and growing up
Paula
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pic
Rabbit ears is just the thing for kids growing up.
Rani
Growing up means having to do so much! Follow Hopsctoch as he make the discovery, the key to being old.
Phannie
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a very cute book about getting bigger and the privileges that come with the responsibilities. My little ones also loved it.
Mandy