Start by marking “Space: The 10 Things You Should Know” as Want to Read:
Space: The 10 Things You Should Know

Space: The 10 Things You Should Know

Published September 15th 2019 by Seven Dials

To ask other readers questions about Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Space

Start your review of Space: The 10 Things You Should Know
Bogdan Teodorescu
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: all_science, science
Really, even I could have written a book like this one. Indeed, it may be good for people completely off the subject, but there are far better books than this for those people.
Peter (Pete) Mcloughlin
I found Dr. Becky on youtube because I am an astronomy enthusiast and like to vege out to videos on Astronomy. Her and Anton Petrov are two youtube Astronomy people I follow there. This is her debut book and it is a good intro book to the subject. Astrophysics for People in a hurry. It is well put together if a little short. I hope she does a deeper dive for a follow-up. Her videos on youtube are great here is a link to her channel.

Andrew
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
And so another title from my Christmas shopping trip - oops.

This is an interesting little vinaigrette at only 120 pages long it was a rather quick read which still was able to pose some interesting questions and provide some easily to understand answers.

Book basically posts 10 questions about the universe and then provides short (about 12 pages long) answers to them which are both easy to follow and highly informative. So if you are interested in such things this book is a great little
Ravi Singh
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book is meant for people who would like to know more about space and who don't already have a lot of knowledge about it. I thought the book didn't do a good job as there are other books which do a better job of explaining things like black holes and the big bang.
One of the biggest let downs for me was that the book does't explain a lot of things and some of the chapters don't really add much value (especially the last one).
The only group of people I might recommend this book to are
Tilly
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars

I was excited about this book because I have always had an interest in space but I'm not an expert so thought this book would be perfect for me!
Sadly in my opinion it fell a little flat. The information and writing was fine but the title and cover of this book looks to be marketed at people that want to take a first step into learning about space and it jist disnt fulfil that. At times it was a little boring, and I don't think the 10 things included are necessarily what should have been
L A
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Orion Publishing and NetGalley for the Advance Review Copy in exchange for an honest review.

An interesting collection of 10 essays on the topic of Space. The book is written in a relatively informal style and it's clear the author is hugely passionate about her subject. I'm really interested in Space but find it hard to get my head round some aspects of it.

Some of the essays work better than others. The book is touted as entry level but I was completely flummoxed by some of it. That
Beth Younge
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a short and informative guide. This reminded me of Carlo Rovelli's work due to how accessible and clear it was in terms of content and structure. I liked the fact it was short which meant the theories and ideas were not a daunting prospect and made the book fly by.

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Daniel  Standley
This was a great introduction to physics I loved the way it was written and that recent discoveries where discussed

Great book I never read a popular science so fast could not put it down
Richard
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered the Dr. Becky’s podcast about four months ago and just love it. Fortunately, I had no sooner discovered Dr. Rebecca Smethurst, Astrophysicist (AKA Dr. Becky) than she released her first book. I ordered it immediately!

If you are going to listen to the audio book you need to know a little about Dr. Smethurst - who narrates the book herself. I’m not sure if Dr. Becky is Dr. Smethurst’s alter ego or if she talks and acts like this all of the time. She seems to be a combination of a
Joe Thomas
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've always been fascinated by the night sky and the mysteries of space - who hasn't? It's an ever present part of our lives, and it's only thanks to a Goldilocks-precise set of criteria that we, as humans on planet Earth in our solar system in the Milky Way, exist.

That said, I've always been slightly put off by some of the astronomy books I've seen, which feature complicated mathematical formula or incredibly difficult concepts that I struggle to get my head around and end up frustrated with.
Micha Sevier
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These ten essays written by Oxford astrophysicist Dr Becky Smethurst are a fascinating overview of ten topics relating to space.

I had previously done some reading about some of these topics, but many of the concepts I’d come across before were difficult to get my head around. I found this book great at complimenting and adding to my previous knowledge and made some concepts finally make sense to me (or as much as they’ll ever make sense to my non-scientist brain!)

This is a very well-written
Ed
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
A very introductory look at some of the coolest facts we have about space.
Then ten short essays presented here are an interesting overview of astrophysics; from black holes to exoplanets to relativity. Dr Smethurst's style is incredibly conversational- she is a perfect fit for the youtube videos that she creates, and has featured in on numerous channels. In a book like this though I personally would want a little more depth or rigour; it is conversational to a fault and really could only serve
Nicholas Smeaton
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been following Dr Becky's Youtube videos for some time and I have enjoyed her combination of a passion for Astronomy and her ability to break down some very complex topics and explain them in terms a layperson can understand. With this book she does the same thing, for example there is a brilliant explanation of why black holes can end up throwing away matter from their accretion disks. This is all done with in a friendly tone that respects the reader's intelligence and as a bonus for the ...more
Wendell
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was a Christmas gift. Quick read. I read this in about four hours, with occasional breaks. Highly recommended as a brief introduction to and overview of a few major astronomical topics, written by someone who loves her day job. A reader can get more detail from other sources, but this will whet the appetite.

Also check out her YouTube channel, Dr. Becky, for more detailed information about current astronomical topics. She is intelligent, funny, insightful.
Hanna  (lapetiteboleyn)
It's an elegant little book. Comprehensive without being overly technical, there's enough in the way of names and dates and references that going away to do further reading would be maybe too easy. It's hard to find fault except, perhaps, that it's almost too simple. There's no challenge for an adult reader of any level, which is a shame because what is referenced is fascinating.
Mark

• Letters From An Astrophysicist
  • No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
  • How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems
  • How To Be Right… in a World Gone Wrong
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • The Places in Between
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
  • Cold Storage
  • Bone China
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Lanterns
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
  • This Will Make You Smarter: New Scientific Concepts to Improve Your Thinking
  • Life: The Leading Edge of Evolutionary Biology, Genetics, Anthropology, and Environmental Science