Start by marking “The List of Things That Will Not Change” as Want to Read:
The List of Things That Will Not Change

The List of Things That Will Not Change

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  4,455 ratings  ·  1,012 reviews
After her parents' divorce, Bea's life became different in many ways. But she can always look back at the list she keeps in her green notebook to remember the things that will stay the same. The first and most important: Mom and Dad will always love Bea, and each other.

When Dad tells Bea that he and his boyfriend, Jesse, are getting married, Bea is thrilled. Bea loves Jess
Published April 7th 2020 by Wendy Lamb Books

To ask other readers questions about The List of Things That Will Not Change, please sign up.
EpicReader8 I'm not sure, but the book is out now, so if you still haven't read it, you can find it at a local library, for sale online or at a bookstore, or as a…moreI'm not sure, but the book is out now, so if you still haven't read it, you can find it at a local library, for sale online or at a bookstore, or as an ebook or audiobook on OverDrive.(less)
EpicReader8 The book is out now, so if you still haven't read it, you can find it at a local library, for sale online or at a bookstore, or as an ebook or audiobo…moreThe book is out now, so if you still haven't read it, you can find it at a local library, for sale online or at a bookstore, or as an ebook or audiobook on OverDrive.(less)

·  4,455 ratings  ·  1,012 reviews

Start your review of The List of Things That Will Not Change
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This hit me RIGHT in the feels, in the best way. Bea reminded me so much of my childhood self and I wish that I could go back and time and hand this book to baby Chelsea to read to know that she's not alone. My heart is so full. I loved this so!!!!! much!!!!! ...more
Camryn
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: omg
I CANNOT STOP CRYING, BUT IN THE BEST WAY
Donalyn
So beautiful. Rebecca Stead has the gift of finding the extraordinary in the ordinary.
Hannah
Things That Will Not Change:
1. Rebecca Stead writes pitch-perfect middle grade.
2. She really GETS how kids think and act, especially around guilt and anxiety.
3. She writes vivid characters who jump off the page.
4. She writes warm, loving families of all kinds.
5. THE LIST OF THINGS THAT WILL NOT CHANGE is a book you won't want to put down, even after you've finished.
Jeanette (Again)
I always enjoy Rebecca Stead's books for middle-grade readers because she creates such charming young misfit narrators. This one features a girl named Bea who discovers that there's more than one way to make a family. She's quite adaptable, and she's enthusiastic about the changes coming into her life, but it's complicated. Some people will never accept that love is love is love is love, even when it's not traditional. The loving adults around Bea model for her how to stay hopeful and positive i ...more
Monica Edinger
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wowee. This is one of the most piercing character-focused middle-grade books I've ever read. Stead reaches deep into protagonist Bea's very soul here as she copes with various elements in her life. Beautiful and spare as to expect from Stead. ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This is a really sweet little story with some fantastic elements that I so desperately wish we saw more of in middle grade, like childhood mental illness (anxiety), living through your parents divorcing, and learning how to face the homophobia in society as the child of a recently-come-out queer parent. I feel like it's all handled in such a good way and I also really loved the audiobook narrator!

All of that aside, I'm not rating this because, to be honest, I didn't enjoy the actual reading expe
Sherwood Smith
Another lovely middle-grade book by Rebecca Stead.

Bea is an anxious kid whose parents divorced because her dad is gay, and he's found his mate in Jesse. Bea tells her story about the divorce and the upcoming wedding, between which we get short glimpses of her life at school, with her best friend, with her cousins (with whom she doesn't always get along), with her mother, with Sonia, Jesse's daughter, who Bea hopes will become a sister.

There are plenty of the sorts of issues that crop up in famil
Dianne
Heartfelt, innocent, filled with love, uncertainty and trust in those whose job is to always provide a safe place to land, Rebecca Stead’s THE LIST OF THINGS THAT WILL NEVER CHANGE is NOT written for adults. It is written for younger readers, told in the voice of a young girl who is experiencing life after divorce and while many things DO change, one thing young Bea knows, the love in her family is always there, no matter how its dynamics have been altered.

Parents do not have to stay together, b
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of THE LIST OF THINGS THAT WILL NOT CHANGE by Rebecca Stead in exchange for my honest review.***

4.5 STARS

Since her parents divorce four years ago, Bea keeps THE LIST OF THINGS THAT WILL NOT CHANGE to help keep her anxiety in check. She writes things like her parents will still love her on the list. Bea is thrilled when her dad announces his engagement to his boyfriend Jesse, and even happier to lead she’s getting a stepsister who loves
Trin
Wholesome, heartfelt, adorable -- but also incredibly real, never sugar-coated. Stead is a master of POV. I flew through this, got choked up, had all the feelings. A delight.
Floor Flawless
Oof, I had high hopes for this one as it was a nominee for the Goodreads Choice Awards 2020. But unfurtuntely I didn't like it that much. The maincharacter was a complaining little bastard that couldn't understand another persons feelings. And yes she was in therapy and that was all about feelings but I feel like she was there mainly for her own feelings. I just didn't like the tone of this book at all. It was a total let down for me. ...more
Ms. B
Oct 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, childrens, 2020
Bea's Dad is getting married! Alternating between the now and the past few years of Bea's life leading up to the Wedding (it's chock-full of flashbacks); give this one to fans of Richard Peck's The Best Man. ...more
Joyreader
Jordan Henrichs
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca Stead digs deep, real deep, into the mind of her protagonist in The List Of Things That Will Not Change. The result is brilliantly beautiful at times, but frustratingly boring at other times.

The List of Things I Liked About This Book:
1. Bea is extremely thoughtful. She doesn’t skirt details. Even the most minor things. I said, Stead digs deep. Maybe deeper than any middle grade first-person novel I can remember reading.
2. Bea’s telling of her story feels genuine. Like a kid telling you a
Danielle
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
Surprising, spare, affecting, and total kid-ness captured in the voice.

"...there are people who will try to make you choose between who you are and who they want you to be. You have to watch out for those people." p.140

"...life is like a trip. A very long one. And what matters most if the people you travel with." p.209

Amber
I received a complimentary copy of this ebook ARC from the author, publisher, and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Bea is a young girl who keeps a list of things that will not change in a green notebook like her mom and dad love her very much. When her dad and mom gets a divorce and Bea gets a new family, Bea's life turns upside-down. Will Bea be able to cope? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good middle grade novel about family, friends and more. If you enjoy books
Christy
A great kick-off to Middle Grade March! It touches on a lot of important topics and I think this would be a great book for kids in the age group! Very good audiobook narrator.
Ivonne Rovira
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantics
Recommended to Ivonne by: NetGalley
Bea’s parents have divorced; however, one thing they have gifted her is the green notebook that contains “Things that won’t EVER change.” Foremost is that her parents will always love her and that they will always love each other, just in a different way.

But two years after the divorce, Dan is getting married again. And things are changing at a whirlwind rate.

I have loved all of Rebecca Stead’s books that I’ve read: Newbery Award-winning When You Reach Me, Liar & Spy and Bob. And now The List o
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: april-2020
What a fantastic middle grade novel toughing really important topics
Shaye Miller
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I sure kicked my week off with some intense, realistic fiction novels. The List of Things That Will Not Change follows 10-year-old Bea through the aftermath of her parents' divorce. They reassured her that they would always love her and she was given a green notebook that she could use to write down everything that will NOT change. But the truth is, there are many things that will change. For example, her father is remarrying. And the man he is marrying has a daughter Bea's age. She has always w ...more
Abby Johnson
This book does such a wonderful job at exploring emotions in a very complex way, but at the same time a very kid-friendly way. And the ending actually made me gasp in delight as the story comes completely together in a way that I thought was just perfect. Readers looking for books that address anxiety and mental health in kids will want to check this one out. I especially like that it portrays a very positive relationship between a kid and her therapist.
Dawn Michelle
When my father left, I was eight years old, the same age as Bea - the main character in this book. Unlike Bea's father, he just left. I came home from school as he was packing his car; he hugged my sister and I and got into the car and left. There was never any explanation and it wasn't until I was much older that I fully understood why. Even though Bea is a character in a book, I am slightly jealous of her [and really anyone who's parent's took the time to actually TALK to their children as to ...more
Phil Jensen
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have often wondered what a Stead novel would be like without a gimmick... and here it is!

The main "plot" is about a girl who struggles with feelings of inadequacy and loneliness. Really, the plot consists of several small threads that don't seem very urgent while they're being developed. However, at the end, they all come together in a strong, meaningful way.

Rebecca Stead zoomed in on intolerance and bullying in this book in a way that felt more grounded than in her previous books, which made
DaNae
Subtle and powerful. I wish I'd had this to read as a child. ...more
Lisa RV
Another 5 star middle school book that (almost) made me cry. I especially loved the characters, Bea talking through her feelings, and the therapy bits. I highly recommend Rebecca Stead if you want middle grade/YA books full of real life, wisdom, and the feels. She's one of those authors who's not overly wordy, rather every sentence has meaning. Her writing and characters seem so authentic that it makes you a litle sad when the book ends. I have more of hers to read but I already know I'll enjoy ...more
Katie
Wow, this book got lost in the 2020 void for me. I love Rebecca Stead, but totally missed when this came out and didn't remember it until recently. Anyway! Glad I finally did! It's lovely.
Tzipora
Bea is a Star Trek loving, eczema prone, worrier who struggles with spelling. Her parents got divorced when she was 8 and gave her a notebook with a list of things that wouldn’t change in her life. Much of the book occurs with her at age 12 looking back to the time just before her father got remarried. Bea is 10 at this point and in the 5th grade. Her father has been with his boyfriend Jesse for two years and they are a fantastic and loving pair. But Bea worries about her mother and while her im ...more
Guilherme Semionato
Wildly overrated, although loving, beautiful and true. I like Stead's voice, but this lacks MAGIC, the magic of day to day life, the magic of encounters, MAGIC!, LIFE, room to breath, the feeling of lives well spent, lives with details. And it's a problem because this is a book in the minor register, a slice-of-life account of a 10yo girl. Everything is a bit muffled in the whole lovely, caring people living in this beautiful, blue world of ours. Its optimistic glow is oddly perfunctory, not rea ...more
Patrick
Absolute perfection. So happy I got to read an advanced copy. So sad other readers will have to wait so long to read. Bea will be in my heart for a long long time.
Madison County NC...: Sometimes you need a palate cleanser 1 3 Aug 11, 2020 06:19AM

• Fighting Words
  • Efrén Divided
  • The Tornado
  • Clean Getaway
  • King and the Dragonflies
I love books but don't feel like stars capture what I want to say about them. Many of the books on my list are, in my opinion, amazing. Some I didn't like. But I give them all five stars, because stars make people - including me -- happy. Confused? Me too.

If you want to talk about any book I've read, I'm here.

News & Interviews

“How did you get to be ten years old?"
"One day at a time.”
1 likes
“When Miriam first told me about that, I got a picture in my mind's eye of a girl standing very still, with someone hiding behind her, and someone else behind her. And they're all perfectly straight so that no one can tell how many people are actually there. Sometimes I feel exactly like that. Like I'm a bunch of different Beas, all lined up to look like one.” 1 likes