Start by marking “The List of Things That Will Not Change” as Want to Read:
The List of Things That Will Not Change

The List of Things That Will Not Change

After her parents' divorce, Bea's life became different in many ways. But she can always look back at the list she keeps in her green notebook to remember the things that will stay the same. The first and most important: Mom and Dad will always love Bea, and each other.

When Dad tells Bea that he and his boyfriend, Jesse, are getting married, Bea is thrilled. Bea loves Jess
Published April 7th 2020 by Wendy Lamb Books

To ask other readers questions about The List of Things That Will Not Change, please sign up.
George See the article "5 Ways To Get Early Free Copies Of Books Or ARCS" at AmReading, http://www.amreading.com/2017/02/07/5....

Start your review of The List of Things That Will Not Change
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This hit me RIGHT in the feels, in the best way. Bea reminded me so much of my childhood self and I wish that I could go back and time and hand this book to baby Chelsea to read to know that she's not alone. My heart is so full. I loved this so!!!!! much!!!!!
Camryn
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: omg
I CANNOT STOP CRYING, BUT IN THE BEST WAY
Donalyn
So beautiful. Rebecca Stead has the gift of finding the extraordinary in the ordinary.
Hannah
Aug 14, 2019 added it
Shelves: middle-grade, 2019
Things That Will Not Change:
1. Rebecca Stead writes pitch-perfect middle grade.
2. She really GETS how kids think and act, especially around guilt and anxiety.
3. She writes vivid characters who jump off the page.
4. She writes warm, loving families of all kinds.
5. THE LIST OF THINGS THAT WILL NOT CHANGE is a book you won't want to put down, even after you've finished.
Jeanette (Again)
I always enjoy Rebecca Stead's books for middle-grade readers because she creates such charming young misfit narrators. This one features a girl named Bea who discovers that there's more than one way to make a family. She's quite adaptable, and she's enthusiastic about the changes coming into her life, but it's complicated. Some people will never accept that love is love is love is love, even when it's not traditional. The loving adults around Bea model for her how to stay hopeful and positive i ...more
Monica Edinger
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wowee. This is one of the most piercing character-focused middle-grade books I've ever read. Stead reaches deep into protagonist Bea's very soul here as she copes with various elements in her life. Beautiful and spare as to expect from Stead.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This is a really sweet little story with some fantastic elements that I so desperately wish we saw more of in middle grade, like childhood mental illness (anxiety), living through your parents divorcing, and learning how to face the homophobia in society as the child of a recently-come-out queer parent. I feel like it's all handled in such a good way and I also really loved the audiobook narrator!

All of that aside, I'm not rating this because, to be honest, I didn't enjoy the actual reading expe
Sherwood Smith
Apr 06, 2020 added it
Shelves: fiction
Another lovely middle-grade book by Rebecca Stead.

Bea is an anxious kid whose parents divorced because her dad is gay, and he's found his mate in Jesse. Bea tells her story about the divorce and the upcoming wedding, between which we get short glimpses of her life at school, with her best friend, with her cousins (with whom she doesn't always get along), with her mother, with Sonia, Jesse's daughter, who Bea hopes will become a sister.

There are plenty of the sorts of issues that crop up in famil
Dianne
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heartfelt, innocent, filled with love, uncertainty and trust in those whose job is to always provide a safe place to land, Rebecca Stead’s THE LIST OF THINGS THAT WILL NEVER CHANGE is NOT written for adults. It is written for younger readers, told in the voice of a young girl who is experiencing life after divorce and while many things DO change, one thing young Bea knows, the love in her family is always there, no matter how its dynamics have been altered.

Parents do not have to stay together, b
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of THE LIST OF THINGS THAT WILL NOT CHANGE by Rebecca Stead in exchange for my honest review.***

4.5 STARS

Since her parents divorce four years ago, Bea keeps THE LIST OF THINGS THAT WILL NOT CHANGE to help keep her anxiety in check. She writes things like her parents will still love her on the list. Bea is thrilled when her dad announces his engagement to his boyfriend Jesse, and even happier to lead she’s getting a stepsister who loves
Trin
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wholesome, heartfelt, adorable -- but also incredibly real, never sugar-coated. Stead is a master of POV. I flew through this, got choked up, had all the feelings. A delight.
Amber
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this ebook ARC from the author, publisher, and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Bea is a young girl who keeps a list of things that will not change in a green notebook like her mom and dad love her very much. When her dad and mom gets a divorce and Bea gets a new family, Bea's life turns upside-down. Will Bea be able to cope? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good middle grade novel about family, friends and more. If you enjoy books
Danielle
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
Surprising, spare, affecting, and total kid-ness captured in the voice.

"...there are people who will try to make you choose between who you are and who they want you to be. You have to watch out for those people." p.140

"...life is like a trip. A very long one. And what matters most if the people you travel with." p.209

Ivonne Rovira
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romantics
Recommended to Ivonne by: NetGalley
Bea’s parents have divorced; however, one thing they have gifted her is the green notebook that contains “Things that won’t EVER change.” Foremost is that her parents will always love her and that they will always love each other, just in a different way.

But two years after the divorce, Dan is getting married again. And things are changing at a whirlwind rate.

I have loved all of Rebecca Stead’s books that I’ve read: Newbery Award-winning When You Reach Me, Liar & Spy and Bob. And now The List o
Jordan Henrichs
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rebecca Stead digs deep, real deep, into the mind of her protagonist in The List Of Things That Will Not Change. The result is brilliantly beautiful at times, but frustratingly boring at other times.

The List of Things I Liked About This Book:
1. Bea is extremely thoughtful. She doesn’t skirt details. Even the most minor things. I said, Stead digs deep. Maybe deeper than any middle grade first-person novel I can remember reading.
2. Bea’s telling of her story feels genuine. Like a kid telling you a
Shaye Miller
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I sure kicked my week off with some intense, realistic fiction novels. The List of Things That Will Not Change follows 10-year-old Bea through the aftermath of her parents' divorce. They reassured her that they would always love her and she was given a green notebook that she could use to write down everything that will NOT change. But the truth is, there are many things that will change. For example, her father is remarrying. And the man he is marrying has a daughter Bea's age. She has always w ...more
Dawn Michelle
When my father left, I was eight years old, the same age as Bea - the main character in this book. Unlike Bea's father, he just left. I came home from school as he was packing his car; he hugged my sister and I and got into the car and left. There was never any explanation and it wasn't until I was much older that I fully understood why. Even though Bea is a character in a book, I am slightly jealous of her [and really anyone who's parent's took the time to actually TALK to their children as to ...more
Phil Jensen
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have often wondered what a Stead novel would be like without a gimmick... and here it is!

The main "plot" is about a girl who struggles with feelings of inadequacy and loneliness. Really, the plot consists of several small threads that don't seem very urgent while they're being developed. However, at the end, they all come together in a strong, meaningful way.

Rebecca Stead zoomed in on intolerance and bullying in this book in a way that felt more grounded than in her previous books, which made
Tzipora
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bea is a Star Trek loving, eczema prone, worrier who struggles with spelling. Her parents got divorced when she was 8 and gave her a notebook with a list of things that wouldn’t change in her life. Much of the book occurs with her at age 12 looking back to the time just before her father got remarried. Bea is 10 at this point and in the 5th grade. Her father has been with his boyfriend Jesse for two years and they are a fantastic and loving pair. But Bea worries about her mother and while her im ...more
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: april-2020
What a fantastic middle grade novel toughing really important topics
DaNae
Subtle and powerful. I wish I'd had this to read as a child.
Patrick
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolute perfection. So happy I got to read an advanced copy. So sad other readers will have to wait so long to read. Bea will be in my heart for a long long time.
Destinee Sutton
Here's a thing that will not change: I love Rebecca Stead's books!
Sivan N.
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"It's a story about me, but a different me, a person who doesn't exist anymore."

"Sheila made it sound simple, like everyone has one real self. But what if I didn't? Or what if my real self was no good? I kept imagining Angelica's face, half like usual, half not working right. Sometimes I felt like that on the inside, like I knew how I wanted to be, but it didn't match up with how I really was."

Yes, I put two quotes at the beginning of my review, sue me lol!
For those of you who don't know, Rebecc
Laurie
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A cute story covering some great growing issues, another solid from Stead. She has such engaging writing and storytelling. This time 5th grader Bea tells her story of that year, with plenty of looking back at her parents divorce in 3rd grade and other influential times since. With her Dad’s upcoming marriage to his boyfriend, there are really great things and real bummers in store.

3 Funny similarities:
1. My Dad painted a giant, perfectly arcing rainbow all across the wall over my bed when I wa
Mrs. Mazzola
Rebecca Stead is a master at crafting authentic and extraordinary characters, and this book is yet another beautiful example of that. I loved Bea and felt like I was seeing right into her soul as I read and couldn't put this one down. I think Stead deftly handles big issues (divorce, anxiety, complicated family dynamics, to name a few), but they don't feel heavy-handed or overwrought. Perfect for middle grade readers and adults looking to better understand their own children. Fantastic book!
Amy
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom-books
It's been hard to be motivated to read kids books, not knowing what my classroom will look like in September. This was SUCH a good re-entry. The scene with Jesse in Bea's classroom is one of the most perfect chapters I've ever read.
Elizabeth
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book in an afternoon and I'll be reading it again. I learned things about myself while reading about main character Bea's life. I will try to start worrying like Bea, which is a good thing! A central theme of this book is forgiveness and there are so many wonderful examples of forgiveness, love and above all embracing who you are. Rebecca Stead is the author of "When You Reach Me", which is an amazing book as well.
Elizabeth
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
Thanks to NetGalley and Wendy Lamb Books for my electronic ARC in exchange for my honest review. This is my first book by the author and I loved the title, but that’s about all.

When Bea’s parents announce they are getting a divorce they provide her with an actual list of things that will not change. But other than that cool concept the book fell flat for me. Best for middle-schoolers who are experiencing divorce.
Stefanie
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A “Bea”utiful story about acceptance, allowing space for your feelings and what it means to be family.
Madison County NC...: Sometimes you need a palate cleanser 1 2 Aug 11, 2020 06:19AM

• When Stars Are Scattered
  • On the Horizon
  • Efrén Divided
  • Black Brother, Black Brother
  • What Lane?
I love books but don't feel like stars capture what I want to say about them. Many of the books on my list are, in my opinion, amazing. Some I didn't like. But I give them all five stars, because stars make people - including me -- happy. Confused? Me too.

If you want to talk about any book I've read, I'm here.