Start by marking “Redesigning Humans: Choosing Our Genes, Changing Our Future” as Want to Read:
Redesigning Humans: Choosing Our Genes, Changing Our Future

Redesigning Humans: Choosing Our Genes, Changing Our Future

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  117 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
A groundbreaking work, Redesigning Humans tackles the controversial subject of engineering the human germline -- the process of permanently altering the genetic code of an individual so that the changes are passed on to the offspring. Gregory Stock, an expert on the implications of recent advances in reproductive biology, has glimpsed the inevitable future of biomedical en ...more
Published April 11th 2003 by Mariner Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Redesigning Humans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redesigning Humans

May 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"God and Nature first made us what we are, and then out of our own created genius we make ourselves what we want to be." - Marcus Garvey (1886-1940) (via, Redesigning Humans by Gregory Stock, Pg.1)

"Imagine collapsing life's 3.5-billion-year history into a period of 35 years. On this scale, some 50 years remain until the sun flares into a "red giant" and fries our planet. Our first primate ancestors appeared one year ago, thirty-four years after life began. The first hominid arrived a month ago;
Jim
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is actually a pretty short book. It's only 201 pages of actual reading and then another 76 pages of appendices, indexes, etc.

I'm not going to pretend that I understood everything that Greggory Stock discusses (and as a side note, my edition has Greggory spelled with two G's, not one). The chapter on Superbiology got pretty heavy with germline technology and auxiliary/artificial chromosomes. I think I enjoyed the chapters on cyborgs, fyborgs (functional cyborgs) and ethics the most.

I got the
Alex
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
About engineering the human germ line, the author is clear: we can do it, we should do it, we will do it. I find some analysis of his convincing (albeit alarming to me), such as: profit-driven scientists will go to somewhere on earth and develop improved human products because people will pay for those, which makes it unstoppable and eventually breaking into countries that currently block such.

So humans will divide into castes based on their different degrees of "improvements", or lack thereof,
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
IIRC this is the one that suggested that human-improving genetic research would be slow because it won't benefit the researchers, only their children. I can think of other reasons this will go slowly, but that one doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Elvira
Jan 19, 2012 rated it liked it
A bit outdated, but a good read.
Amanda
Rossdavidh
Jan 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Flesh and Machines: How Robots Will Change Us
  • Radical Evolution: The Promise and Peril of Enhancing Our Minds, Our Bodies -- and What It Means to Be Human
  • Darwin Among The Machines: The Evolution Of Global Intelligence
  • Citizen Cyborg: Why Democratic Societies Must Respond to the Redesigned Human of the Future
  • Enough: Staying Human in an Engineered Age
  • Love and Sex with Robots: The Evolution of Human-Robot Relationships
  • How We Became Posthuman: Virtual Bodies in Cybernetics, Literature, and Informatics
  • Nexus: Small Worlds and the Groundbreaking Theory of Networks
  • Good Natured - The Origins of Right & Wrong in Humans & Other Animals (Paper)
  • Defining the Wind: The Beaufort Scale, and How a 19th-Century Admiral Turned Science Into Poetry
  • Media and Cultural Studies: Key Works
  • My Life as a Night Elf Priest: An Anthropological Account of World of Warcraft
  • An Introduction to Behavioural Ecology
  • The Embodied Mind: Cognitive Science and Human Experience
  • Religion and Science
  • The Jasons: The Secret History of Science's Postwar Elite
  • Telecosm: How Infinite Bandwidth Will Revolutionize Our World
  • Truth, Beauty, and Goodness Reframed: Educating for the Virtues in the Age of Truthiness and Twitter