Start by marking “When Less Becomes More: Making Space for Slow, Simple, and Good” as Want to Read:
When Less Becomes More: Making Space for Slow, Simple, and Good

When Less Becomes More: Making Space for Slow, Simple, and Good

Statistics don't lie. Moms today are more fatigued, burned out, and overwhelmed than ever. Smartphones constantly ping and alert and demand our attention. And social media can eat up hours of our days with mindless scrolling and tapping while leaving many feeling empty and lonely. Add to that family commitments, work that is accessible around the clock, and overscheduling, ...more
Published November 12th 2019 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about When Less Becomes More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Less Becomes More

Start your review of When Less Becomes More: Making Space for Slow, Simple, and Good
Christy
3 stars

“Choose gratitude and grace every morning. Grace and gratitude go hand in hand.”

This was my first non-fiction book of the year, and though I enjoyed it for the most part, there was nothing truly new or revolutionary about it. This book focuses on the less, not from a minimalist pov, but more about less spending time with screens, on social media, etc. It encourages you to take a look at how you spend your time and if you could make any changes to make your life better.

Whil
book bruin
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Audiobook Review

Overall 3 stars
Performance 5 stars
Story 2.5 stars

This was a quick and easy listen. There isn't anything revolutionary or ground breaking in the message, but it was still a nice reminder to slow down and reconnect with what is most important in your life. I enjoyed the author's narration and the dedication/letter to her daughter was very sweet and heartfelt. I personally did not care for the faith chapter (I skipped it) and religious overtones, but I think the message of choosing
Lorilin
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, wellness, home
The advice in this book can essentially be boiled down to this: slow down and be your most authentic self. The message isn't revolutionary, but I still enjoyed reading the book. I liked author Emily Ley's advice to unpack and evaluate your commitments, then keep only the obligations that are completely necessary or that spark joy. Even just the simple acknowledgment that "our lives were not meant to include so much" felt comforting to me.

Just an FYI, Ley does come from a Christian perspective. T
Romie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
this is a book I completely picked up at random. I liked the cover. I liked that it was narrated by its own author, and I have to admit, I love non fiction. also I’ve been feeling very anxious lately, even overwhelmed, and this book seemed just what I needed.
I had such a good time listening to it. the author’s voice is incredibly soothing, it helped me relax. I had no idea that it was Christian non fiction, and as someone who is Jewish I was ‘scared’ that I wouldn’t be able to relate to the elem
Sara Budarz
I am someone who loves reading books on simplifying life, and so when I came across this book, I decided to give it a read. And here's the thing: there is nothing wrong with the advice in this book, it is just that, well, the advice is so self-evident.
An example: turn off the loud chiming noise caused by notifications on your phone from Instagram and FB. Who didn't do this right the moment that they downloaded the app? Do people really have social media pop up all day long? I am confused.
Or the
Kazen
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
I went into this book buoyed by the jacket copy - while it's from a Christian publisher there's no whiff of God on the back, and it seems like a delightful collection of tips for everyone. Once you start reading, though, it's clear that Ley is aiming her message at people much like her - women with children who are managing busy households. The further away you are from her instagram-worthy life the less you will get from the book.

Check out my full thoughts in a 2 for 1 review I did on youtube,
Taylor
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book came at the exact time I needed it.

As part of Emily’s launch team I received an early copy, and I am so so glad.

Emily shares her own journey as she talks to us as women about embracing the slow, good life instead of the rushed, overwhelming one. She digs deep into different areas like technology, family, home and faith.

Everything she said in this book deeply touched my heart. It made me step back and really think about what the “good life” looks like for me and my family. Already I’
Erica
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Less practical, More privilege- Emily Ley writes about taking time to be on social media less, create less noise, yell less, and basically be present more, buy less stuff and create more treasures - all while acknowledging that she has the financial means to do so and not everyone has the means for food on their table or a roof over their head. The whole thing read like a scolding from a really nice aunt, if you have clutter - fix it, obviously! There was no steps or practical guidance to how to ...more
Camille Maio
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I found this book near the register at the Draper James flagship store in Nashville. I was just about to make my purchase when this caught my eye, and I bought it on impulse. I’m so glad I did! Full of honesty, gentle suggestions, faith, inspiration artwork, and prompts, it stands out among many books featuring the topic of simplification. I have already ordered her next one.
Melissa Green
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing

In When Less Becomes More, Emily goes through ten areas of life that have become overwhelming. She explores what it means to slow down and refuel instead of continuing the burn out cycle. She takes readers through a journey of what it might look like to choose less and have it mean more.

This is Emily Ley’s third book, and I must say that this is the best one yet. In our society that consistently tells us to hustle,
Basic B's Guide
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful and meaningful reminder of how we get more out of life by doing and wanting less. Faithful mamas I highly recommend listening to this one. The opening and closing had me in tears.

How present are you in your daily life? Do you disconnect regularly? Do you schedule time away from your phone and computer?

This is something I struggle with and I’m trying to do better. I admit I’m dopamine addicted and CANNOT stop checking my email and notifications. Laugh all you want, but I know I’m
Cortney
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it
A few quick tips on how to simplify your life like limiting your social media time and saying no to too many engagements.
Lindsey
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This book is mostly just a memoir of her life. Which is fine, but there weren’t very many lessons. And I do/knew it all already anyway. Pass.
Cara Putman
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A calm and sweet call back to the things that matter. An exploration of whether the way we live our lives is really great. The book itself is a nice one to give as gifts -- while the audiobook is like sitting down with your friend at a favorite coffeeshop and talking about the issues that impact women in today's world. Social Media, parenting, the race for more. I recommend this book for those who are looking for ways and reasons to reset the crazy from their lives ...more
Alicia
I couldn't tolerate the tone of the book nor the pretty pictures and layout.

I thought it would dive into and or inspire more action but instead it seemed to be a biography of her busy life and how she's trying to manage and slow down, giving advice as a wizened woman of God. Not that there's anything wrong with that because it will speak to a lot of people, I'm just not that person.
Donna
Apr 23, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This is Nonfiction and it read more like a memoir than anything else. I'm not the target audience for this one. While the title sounded like something attractive, I'm not plagued with the issues that the author was plagued with.

I wrote a long review for this, but it sounded kind of mean when it certainly wasn't meant that way. If this was fiction, I would have posted my original review, but with nonfiction, I try to not to be too negative when people put a piece of themselves out there.

I just
Carrie ReadingtoKnow
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this one on Audible for a book club read. I really liked it. I found it gave me a lot of good food for thought in how to slow down and build up the life I'd like to have (i.e., a calmer one with less everything). I'm really glad to have read this one at the start of 2020 because it allows me to build goals for this year.

If you need someone to come alongside you and question your busyness and sanity, this author is willing to do so in a spirit of camaraderie. Also if you need someo
fanna
Nov 26, 2019 marked it as definitive-tbr
Shelves: 2019-releases
i really need this during this end-of-the-year chaos. super grateful to libroFM's ALC program, i got an audiobook for review purposes!
Nana
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days
Jordan Wagner
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, audiobook
This book couldn’t come at a more perfect time in my life. After experiencing intense and overwhelming burnout at the end of last year, I slowly find myself finally digging out of the endless hole of balancing my work life, personal life, social calendar, relationship, a family death, a wedding, and my own business - all while at a crossroads in my life and making some huge long-term decisions. This book was just what I needed to slow down and savor the small moments in life. Emily narrated the ...more
Sarah Marie
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook, to-review
2 stars. I didn't hate this, but I walked away from the listening experience feeling pretty mediocre about it. Review to come. ...more
Kristina
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book with a great message. Some of the pages are pretty enough to frame, and there are work pages to flesh out your thoughts.
Stephanie Sexton
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you’re feeling overwhelmed with life’s responsibilities with work, family, and society in general, then this is the book for you. Emily Ley shares practical tips for simplifying your life, especially in regards to social media and technology. I found myself reflecting on how I actually spend my time. This is also a quick read, exemplifying her philosophy that less is truly more.
Lindsay
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has such an important message for women today. For most of the book, I sat there thinking, "Yes! Exactly!" Emily Ley is able to beautifully put into words how so many people are feeling. It is so relatable and comforting to know that we're not alone with these feelings of burnout and overwhelm. I have read some motivational books lately that have the message of, "You can do it! Set high goals! Don't give up!" which are not bad messages by any means, but can make me feel like I need to ...more
Andrea Engfer
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is Emily Ley’s best yet! I love all of her books, but this one touched on so many relatable life topics that left me feeling encouraged and inspired.
Natalyn Houk
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emily Ley brings forward a book that's been on her heart for a while. She looks to address that overwhelming feeling of needing to be more and do more. We don't have to live like that, nor do we need to. Ley gives us permission to live a life that not everyone will understand and to love every second of it.
I loved this book. Ley has created a company that is just so satisfying. I think that this book is a message we all need. Life is hectic and crazy, but we don't have to let it be. We can find
Abigail Wilson
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"When Less Becomes More" is a revolutionary take on how to deal with the burnout and overwhelm that has become an epidemic in our society. From calming visualizations to practical tips, Emily masterfully tells her own experience with burnout and how making space for slow, simple and good has transformed her life, both at home and at work. Emily's passion and depth of research on this topic make her words ring as a manifesto for today's student, post-grad, mama and working woman alike. Highly rec ...more
Courtney Kramer
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was not a fan of this book. I loved “A Simplified Life”, but “When Less Becomes More” came off as very humble brag-gy and didn’t offer any actual steps to creating a “life of less.”

I agree with Ley’s assessments that we need more rest time, quality time with family, etc, and less “stuff”, but she was not at all relatable in this book. I am a working mom of 2 boys and I got very little out of this book.
laura (bookies & cookies)
DNF @ 6%

This is one of those books that sound like, yeah, cool, let's be more mindful. Then you start to do more research into the publisher and the author and are like, this is for Christian girls and reminds you that you have Christian guilt all the time, so yeah, I'm good.

The audiobook arc was provided to me at no cost by Libro.fm in exchange for an honest review.
Claire Perko
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great collection of all the things I have been taking in lately about slowing down and savoring life. It goes deeper in some areas that I thought I had really thought about. It is a good read. Kind of like a breath of fresh air.

• Rhythms of Renewal: Trading Stress and Anxiety for a Life of Peace and Purpose
  • The Joy of Missing Out: Live More by Doing Less
  • The Grace Year
  • The Lazy Genius Way: Embrace What Matters, Ditch What Doesn't, and Get Stuff Done
  • The Dutch House
  • Frankly in Love
  • Chasing Slow: Courage to Journey Off the Beaten Path
  • Summer at the Lake (Flying Solo #1)
  • The Flower Arrangement
  • You Are the Girl for the Job: Daring to Believe the God Who Calls You
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • Raising Grateful Kids in an Entitled World: How One Family Learned That Saying No Can Lead to Life's Biggest Yes
  • Falling for You (Sapphire Bay, #1)
  • Red at the Bone
  • That Sounds Fun: The Joys of Being an Amateur, the Power of Falling in Love, and Why You Need a Hobby
  • My Eyes Are Up Here
  • Little Black Book: A Toolkit for Working Women
  • Malala: My Story of Standing Up for Girls' Rights
Emily Ley is the founder of Simplified® - a brand of planners and organizational tools for busy women. Emily has been featured in Forbes, Family Circle, Better Homes and Gardens, Glamour, and Good Housekeeping. She has been recognized with numerous awards, including Best New Product at the National Stationery Show as well as Top 10 Designers to Watch by Stationery Trends Magazine. Emily and her te ...more

News & Interviews

“I've learned, above all, that less is truly beautiful. That happiness and contentment can't be manufactured, bought, subscribed to, or achieved by adding more to our lives. It's the counter-intuitive actioni of stripping away the excess that allows us to discover beauty and joy in the good lives we already have.” 4 likes
“We must first unpack our commitments, evaluate each one, and make a decision: keep the non negotiable and that which matters most, and then toss the excess.” 1 likes