Start by marking “Backdraft (Criminal Intentions: Season One #10)” as Want to Read:
Backdraft (Criminal Intentions: Season One #10)

Backdraft

(Criminal Intentions: Season One #10)

ABOUT THIS EPISODE

When a 911 call goes wrong and a young man goes missing, it falls to Malcolm and Seong-Jae to investigate the responding officers when Internal Affairs' internal politics leave the case compromised and the officers aren't willing to talk. But with Seong-Jae on the wrong side of the thin blue line, tensions just may turn violent before the detectives fin
Published April 10th 2019 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Backdraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backdraft

Start your review of Backdraft (Criminal Intentions: Season One #10)
Shile
Shit just got real.

description

Mystery was 100% on another level. Loved it! Criminal Minds and CSI all rolled in one.

The writing is so engaging and flows so well.

description

I will just leave this here:

“Say the things you always want me to say. Say the words that tell me you want me.”
Fuck. Malcolm gasped “Do it,” he breathed, his voice breaking. “Fuck me.”
“How much do you want me to hurt you?” Seong-Jae purred, and Malcolm’s pulse jumped wild and erratic.
“As much as you need to,” he whispered, and steeled himself f
Simone
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing

"This is just the start of the storm... and it's going to get worse before it gets better."

Truer words were never spoken... This starts to feel more and more like some kind of chess game with Sila moving the playing pieces into position before making his next gambit. And move he did... I wonder if there are more pieces at play than I already assumed. *side-eyes Sade*

Speaking of Sade... I still don't know if I want to hug or murder them. Probably a

Nicola
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, m-m
Well, love me tender and call me Elvis, I knew we were heading into choppier waters after our last CI outing but I couldn’t have called how things were going to start playing out.

description This is just the start of the storm… and it’s going to get worse before it gets better.”

Seriously.

description

I could go on and on about why this episode hit all the right spots and believe me it does—I barely moved from start to finish—but I’m not going to as we’re at the point where me rabbitting away could so easily ruin
Deborah
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Wow...another 5* I’m absolutely loving this series.

This one is longer. It has a satisfying crime. Super hot Malcolm/Seong-Jae scenes. And Sila. Edge of the seat stuff. Especially when he’s talking to Gabrielle.

I can’t wait for the next book.

And this is how good this series is. Hitman 3 is out today. I always drop everything for Leland. But now I’m torn...I don’t know if I can leave Malcolm and Seong-Jae. Even just for the day.
Gerbera_Reads
I love this series! Each book just gets better and better, and this was no exception. Mal and Seong-Jae are such complex characters, it's fascinating to just listen to them talk or think, interact with each other. While working they finish each other's sentences, they get each other. In private both men finally relax and show their feelings. Seong-Jae can be cranky one moment then he melts into Malcolm. Malcolm is a steady presence, he is unwavering in his love and support of Seong-Jae. I loved ...more
Lisazj1
*SCREEEEEAMS* (view spoiler) ...more
Mo
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As Malcolm said ...

Sometimes the "F" word is the only thing that will convey your emotions in a certain situation. This book merits that word and plenty more where that came from. WTF is going on? Seriously, if I did not have the next instalment to jump into, I would have committed a feckin' crime myself.

... he can swear he smells Nigella. Flowers.
The flowers in his mother's garden, blue and green and delicate and strange.

There was a lot going on here. We have the crime and I love their inte
Elisa Glendenning
4.5 Stars

Well, that was an exciting and jam packed episode!!! I’m almost scared to read on 🤭.

The wheels are clearly in motion ... From the case (so pertinent in today’s world) and its potential fallout, the most exquisitely written intimate scenes, that ugly altercation😥😡, Sade’s entanglement, Gabrielle’s proximity to one Sadistic Injurious Low-life Asshole (aka SILA), meeting the parents to Seong-Jae’s unexpected houseguest 😱. Aside from all the drama, I need to know: WHAT IS IN THAT FILE???
Chris
This series just keeps getting better and better ... I adore Malcolm and Seong Jay and the connection between them in this book was palpable. I hate that Seong Jay is keeping a secret but I trust Malcolm will support him regardless, lord I hope so ! Can’t wait for the next one.
haletostilinski
description

That gif was my reaction, basically, while reading the last 10 percent of this book.

I think it took me slightly more time to read this one than usual because I was dreading the promised angst. And BOY does it come! But mostly at the end. It's building throughout this but then...oh BOY does shit get REAL.

Seeing as we only have 3 eps left in this season - and the way Cole talks about seasons 2 and 3, this Sila storyline might get wrapped up by the end of season 1, although I could be wrong - I'm
♥Sharon♥
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!!

“Malcolm filled him. Malcolm consumed him. Malcolm made him more than he could ever be alone, and he only wished he knew how to show him with something other than the surrender of a twisting, breaking body that struggled to give its all.”

What a shit storm that was! Things are getting pretty intense all around.

Malcolm and Seong-Jae’s relationship got as real as it could get. I LOVE Malcolm. The moment he opens himself up completely to Seong-Jae you know there is no turning bac
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.5 Stars

Damn...that was good! Love the relationship development (meet the folks!) and the case was a gut punch. I mean, we sort of knew (I think) but to have it play out like that was a reality check for how/why so many people don't trust the police - because that Thin Blue Line is real and even when a simple (but devastating) mistake is made, too often the cops will act like the criminals they're trying to catch.

Also, I'mma need more of Anj & Gabby; I fell behind reading these so I hope that's
Caipi
I just finished this part and wow, it's awesome how the author manages to build the relationship between Malcolm and Seong-Jae, getting more and more intense!
The case they had to solve this time was also well done, it kept me interested.
And overall, OMG!!! It seems like all the walls are closing in, all the secrets, everything about Sila, about Sade and Huang, every little puzzle piece of this seasons mystery is bit by bit coming closer together....

Aleksandra
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
I have a lot of questions; number one: how dare you?

The book was really good then things happened and they kept happening and now I’m in pain (the book is still good!)

I won’t spoil anything (much?) but it’s hard to talk about a tenth (!) installment of the series without any spoiling happening.
Anyways, I really liked the case. It was intense and gripping, but the stakes weren’t as life or death as in some of the previous cases, so it was very readable. There was an urge to solve the case, to
Rosabel
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bev
4.5 stars from me.

Things are definitely hotting up on the Sila front. He threatens Seong-Jae, Gabi and will eventually get to Malcolm I have no doubt. Sade makes a risky fleeting appearance to warn Malcolm about Yoon, but is also having problems with Huang at the moment...Huang who still insists he is just a small cog in the big wheel of the Baltimore drug market, and is well down the pecking order in Lilliane Wellington's organisation. Sade drops a folder off at Malcolm's...a folder marked Seon
ReadingAllNite
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, arc-read, author-site
This episode is one of the most cliffhanger-y yet. One of the officers involved in a shooting is related to someone in IA, so Mal and Yoon are called in to investigate. It’s an unusual case but there is more page time devoted to deeper development of the romance, including the physical aspects. Hot. As. Fire! The ending though! I’ll be chewing my nails over what comes next. I certainly hope Cole McCade can keep up the mad pace of a release every month. I’m continually amazed at the consistency a ...more
Nicole
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oooh damn, oh hell... the ending!!

So... things escalated! I was thinking of not reading it till the rest came out 'cause I was sure I'd need them immediately after that one... why did it have to end there? Thank god we won't have to wait long!

This one topped the other books, I liked it a lot! Oh boy.

Mariah
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well, fuck
☾ jazmin
“Do you think that’s the kind of life most people want? Ordinary and unremarkable.” “I think it is the kind of life people learn to want. Many people begin with grand aspirations, but once they discover the hardship, the complexity, the struggle that comes of such things…” He lifted his head, looking at those slate blue eyes so close. “‘Ordinary’ begins to look like ‘happy.’”

What an interesting and intense case! This was a different mystery than normal because the suspects were BDP officers,
Ariana
And so it starts.
We knew that after the reprieve of episode 9 Malcolm and Saeng-Jae were going to head for troubled waters.

To make it worse before all my alarm systems started blinking red and a monotonous voice kept repeating “Red Alert! Red Alert!” in the back of my head, we get two absolutely breath-taking love scenes.
The second one, in particular (Malcolm bottoms!), is so special and moving and abyss deep, it near overwhelmed me with all the feels. Stunning writing, with every word sheer, u
Shan( Shans_Shelves) 💜
I love me some drama and this book was one big bundle of it!! I freaking adored this. Ahhh the storyline is really heating up and I can’t wait to see how this season will end.

alexhenryfirst
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
- again, please tell each other i love u already, Mal and Seong -Jae!! (Though i would prefer it if Seong Jae would be the first one to drop the words hehe)
- im aching for sade and huang...pls let them have a HEA no matter what
- the sex scenes here are TOP TIER istg
- “I found you in the dirt, and I will leave you there,” Sila breathed. “Be ready, Jamjali.” OHHHHH I'M READY FOR U SILA, BRING UR GAME ON
Nicole Field
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These books get better as the series goes on, and I honestly don't know how given that they were already so good!

Cole's writing is luscious and evocative and descriptive. When you open one of his books, they are an immersive experience. In this case, you are being immersed in a world of crime cases with two hot as fuck messes who are doing the best they can to treat themselves and each other well on progressively little sleep.

In this book, we have our main characters taking over an IA case due
Leelah🍁♋️ Orion
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Not gonna lie, this one was a little tough for me. If you look at my profile picture and see my beautiful brown boys, you will know why. But the author did an amazing job with this. I had to check and see if this was still fiction. The only fiction part? Them actually letting an outside force investigate it. Cause in real life, Yoon and Malcom wouldn’t have ever happened.

READ THE AFTERWORDS!

Sade, Sade Sade. You are yankin my chain. One min I’m feeling sorry for you, the next I want to smack yo
Lori
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's so much to unpack in this episode! Sila, Sade, Seong-Jae, Malcom... It's a lot and making me beyond nervous!

I have to say that even with the intensity of Cole McCade's books, his writing is like a warm blanket to me. I love to let the beauty of his words wash over me. Even with that though, I am behind on this series because I already have a a slight book hangover after reading books in this series and I am afraid that if I read one book after another that slump will become massive.
Ollie
"Why are you so hot when you're bossy?"
"Not even I have enough psychological training to unpack that statement."

It's going down. In the tenth book, Seong-Jae and Malcolm have to deal with an investigation of police violence. It seems like only very few people in the police force are not working against them and it's hard to find clues of what really happened when everything looks scrubbed clean and every piece of evidence is gone.

I hate injustice. It makes me physically sick to read about th
iam
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super interesting and engaging case, wonderful character and relationship development, and stakes keep getting higher on all plotlines..... and then that ending, oh dear, I did not expect that!
Karen
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another 5 star episode...
Ok, truthfully this one could have easily gotten more than 5 stars from me it I had that option. I honestly can't remember the last time I was as so enchanted with a book series and don't get me wrong there are so really good series out there and I've read a few of them but for me 'Criminal Intentions' is by far among the cream of the crop.

After 10 books I had honestly expected my interest and enjoyment of this series to have at least leveled off, if not maybe even
Athira
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome-series, lgbtq
This book is sort of the tipping point. Almost like the beginning of the end. The mystery was top notch and kept me on the edge the whole time. Though I think the case will come back to haunt them.

Sade's arc is finally making a bit of sense but still so much is unknown. I'm pretty sure Sade and Huang will get a book and I'm really looking forward to that.

Malcolm and Seong Jae!!!! Maybe I should stop gushing about them in every installment but truthfully, I just can't.

I love you too much, too fa
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Orientation (Borealis Investigations, #1)
  • Triangulation (Borealis Investigations, #2)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • A Chip and a Chair (Seven of Spades, #5)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • The Rational Faculty (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #1)
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour, #1)
  • Broken Silence (Rock Bottom, #1)
  • Dealing in Death (Death and the Devil #2.5)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Pendulum (Kingdom of Night, #1)
  • Police Brutality (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #2)
  • Declination (Borealis Investigations, #3)
  • One-Eyed Royals (Seven of Spades, #4)
  • Always Mine (Love in Eden #1)
  • Inside Affair (Prime Time, #1)
  • Long Way Home
  • Trick Roller (Seven of Spades, #2)
Slender. Angry. (Part) Asian.

Yeah, that about sums me up.

Hi. I’m Cole. Xen. Whatever you want to call me; both are true, and both are lies. My pen names are multitudes, my nicknames legion. Tall, bi/queer, introverted author of a brown-ish persuasion made up of various flavors of Black, Asian, and Native American. I’m cuter than Hello Kitty, more bitter than the blackest coffee, and able to trip o

Criminal Intentions: Season One (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Cardigans (Criminal Intentions: Season One #1)
  • Junk Shop Blues (Criminal Intentions: Season One #2)
  • The Man with the Glass Eye (Criminal Intentions: Season One #3)
  • Changing Faces (Criminal Intentions: Season One #4)
  • It's Witchcraft (Criminal Intentions: Season One #5)
  • Where There’s Smoke (Criminal Intentions: Season One #6)
  • Cult of Personality (Criminal Intentions: Season One #7)
  • Collateral Damage (Criminal Intentions: Season One, #8)
  • A Single Bright Candle's Flame (Criminal Intentions: Season One #9)
  • Crescendo (Criminal Intentions: Season One #11)

News & Interviews