Start by marking “IntersectionAllies: We Make Room for All” as Want to Read:
IntersectionAllies: We Make Room for All

IntersectionAllies: We Make Room for All

Published August 2nd 2019 by Dottir Press

To ask other readers questions about IntersectionAllies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about IntersectionAllies

Start your review of IntersectionAllies: We Make Room for All
Roxane
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for teaching children about intersectionality and community and difference as a strength. I really enjoyed the ideas and approach here. Great illustrations. The rhyming was not at all necessary and too much but it's all good. This is a wonderful lil book.
Earl
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great book to start conversations about a big idea topic to kids- and very helpful for adults, too! Follows a group of kids and showcases how their lives are different based on race, religion, and many other factors but also how they're there for one another. Extensive back matter includes prompts to get conversations going. Would make a great addition to any library.
Heather McC
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
The concept of intersectionality perfectly explains what makes every single person unique; the concept of how different parts of a person's background and history affect their life experiences and identity. There's a great graphic in the back of the book that explains it better than I ever could.

The discussion guide in the back of the book proves to be an excellent resource for educators, parents, and readers looking to apply the very basic (but important!) truths in this picture book.

The text
Kris
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I really like the concept here, but this book is struggling to figure out its audience. It's rhyming text feels juvenile and forced. I think this would have been so much better as a picture book that doesn't try to force big ideas into a rhyme scheme. That being said, the notes are fantastic, and the illustrations are great. This defines terms that could be unfamiliar in an understandable way, and really, it would be a good intro for adults who would like an easy way to become familiar with new ...more
Casey Hess
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Where there's room FOR SOME we make room FOR ALL friends can be ALLIES no matter how small!"

The perfect picture book for teaching young children about growing up to be socially conscience adults. I love the way the words flow in this book and the illustrations are beautiful as well. The resources in the back of the book (including a page by page book discussion guide) go into greater detail so that adults can have a more meaningful conversation with their child. Make sure to check out the
Vicki
Much like the book about white identity by Anastasia Higginbotham, this book provides the right balance of concrete-ness and abstraction for very big ideas that are worthy of further discussion. I LOVED the illustrations and capture of contemporary political movements that will keep caregivers on their toes, holding them accountable to difficult but necessary conversations.
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good overview for children. Felt the text was too complex for the choice to rhyme, which instead suggests it for a younger audience. Great opportunity to chant, tho. Amazing illustrations, great breadth of coverage.
KC
I really enjoyed this book about inclusion, race, cultural customs, and acceptance.
Katy
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really would love to give this a positive review. I would love to believe this was effective and wonderful and I love what the point behind this is. I just think most of it is totally inaccessible for kids.
Holly
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Someone will probably try to attack and/or fight me if I give my honest review of this book so the 2 stars is all you gonna get.
Jaime
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Making room" is stronger than ideas like "respect" and "tolerance" because it asks for positive action from us rather than a minimal response." I love this. There's a discussion guide which is awesome. Absolutely beautiful and necessary book.
Amanda
I wonder what age this is intended for and who the audience is exactly? There is SO MUCH going on here and packed into this book.
Nikki Morrissey
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW. This is such an important book! I know it is a children's book, but as a mother of two young girls and someone working hard to raise kind, inclusive, loving, accepting members of the next generation - this book had tears in my eyes. It can be difficult to know how to explain social justice, prejudice, privilege, etc to young kids or even older kids. This book does a phenomenal job of demonstrating allyship and acceptance. It is a vital tool in teaching our children about privilege and how ...more
Linda
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
In a foreword for parents: "Intersection Allies reminds us that we don't have to "choose" one primary identity. Instead, each of us is all of who we are every single day and in every single way." Different kids introduce themselves in a brief poem, focusing on one part, perhaps they might say the 'main' part. Collaged illustrations are bright, colorful and varied.
I can't imagine not having this in every classroom! There is the text, written in rhyme, showing each young person and some parts of
Janice
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read, children-s
I loved the concepts and the illustrations presented in this volume. I also thought the discussion guide and definitions at the end could be very helpful. I was puzzled though, by the text. I myself really liked it, but in seeing that the intended audience of the authors is young children, and with a reference to early childhood, I think the text is not what would appeal to that audience. I hope the authors will consult with some who specialize in language that would work for younger children, ...more
Emily
Sadly, I didn't love this. The "story" itself was poorly executed-- the rhymes didn't work and there was little narrative cohesion. I think this would have worked better as a non-fiction book about intersectionality. Still, there's a lot of useful information in here to help adults navigate these conversations with children. The amount of intersectional inclusion was great-- including a hijabi Muslimah, a wheelchair user, a gender nonbinary child, and a refugee, among many others. I had never ...more
Tracie
Rhyming text and colorful illustrations introduce a range of diverse identities and abilities (a young girl wearing a hijab; a Korean immigrant; a refugee; a child in a wheelchair)etc), and encourages solidarity. A perfect classroom or storytime readThis is an inspiring conversation starter with a catchy refrain: "Where there's room for some we make room for all / Friends can be allies no matter how small!"
Aliza Werner
An incredible wealth of information, humanized, in this collaborative effort. Intersectionality is explored via various characters. There is extensive back matter diving deeper into each page of the book, more info on intersectionality, and text inspirations for the creators. Beautiful illustrations. Weaknesses: written in rhyming poetry, it was clunky and uneven. It also takes on a lot in its pages, so this is one to spend time with when sharing with kids.
Emma
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for children, families and schools about intersectionality and what it means to be an ally. The main message is that we should celebrate our differences and make room for everyone. It was written by three sociologists and has a foreword by Dr Kimberlé Crenshaw who coined the term intersectionality. However, its beautiful illustrations and rhyming verse make it suitable for young children.

[Free ARC from Edelweiss+]
Diane
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Where there’s room for some we make room for all
Friends can be allies no matter how small.”

The concept of intersectionality is demonstrated with different characters who see the world differently because of their race, religion, gender, etc. But their friends are there to help them can cheer them on.

I appreciate what this book is trying to do, but I'm not sure how well it will actually work with its intended audience. It seems to be aimed at preschool and elementary-aged children. But the rhyming text is rather forced, and in striving to be comprehensively inclusive it felt like there are *too* many topics covered. Important conceptually, but could have been better executed.
Kaila
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect books don't exi--

But seriously, this is wonderful. Beautifully illustrated, easy-to-understand, and well written. The notes included in the back are wonderful, and I love the page of books that inspired this one. My nieces and nephews are all getting a copy.
Darcy
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Extra additions in front and back can be a great resource for caregivers. While the rhymes in the text did not quite work at all times, it is overall simple and straightforward for tackling so many topics. Recommended for school-age children to be shared with their caregivers.
Angela
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Kimberlie Crenshaw, who coined the phrase intersectionality, provides a supportive foreward to this excellent, rhyming picture book for kids. "From near, from far, from here, from there--we're more than our origins. We all deserve care."
Darshana Khiani
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
excellent primer on teaching the concepts of intersectionality and allyship and showing kids how they can support one another. extensive discussion guide and backmatter for educators and parents to extend the discussion.
Julie Esanu
"Where there's room for some, we make room for all..." An important book for all elementary classrooms with a foreword from Dr. Kimberle Crenshaw who coined the term intersectionality, as well as phenomenal back matter that provides additional information and teaching resources.
Austin Gullett
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a very general book—it jumps around a lot—with the main intention of putting the word “ally” into the minds of young children. There are indexes and dictionaries at the back to help explain new words or concepts to children, and I found that to be a nice addition.
Brooklyn Cribdon (The Wild Library)
I got chills reading this. It's gold. The rhyming story is charming but brilliant, and made me feel brave and empowered as I read it. The back matter, which includes a page by page discussion guide, is so well thought out and a perfect addition.
Caitlinleah
I loved the rhyming text and the variety of illustrations in this book. So many picture books to teach you something aren’t very GOOD. this is a lovely, readable book.
Robin
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A compelling picture book in verse about various identities and how being an ally is an active role.

• A Stone Sat Still