Start by marking “The Glovemaker” as Want to Read:
The Glovemaker

The Glovemaker

In the inhospitable lands of the Utah Territory, during the winter of 1888, thirty-seven-year-old Deborah Tyler waits for her husband, Samuel, to return home from his travels as a wheelwright. It is now the depths of winter, Samuel is weeks overdue, and Deborah is getting worried.

Deborah lives in Junction, a tiny town of seven Mormon families scattered along the floor of a
Published February 7th 2019 by Mantle (first published February 5th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Glovemaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glovemaker

Angela M
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The place in Utah is now called Capital Reef National Park, but in 1888 it was know as Junction, where a small number of Mormons settled. They settled here to separate themselves in a way from their Mormon community and while some of them may not have been as devout, they still considered themselves to be “Saints”, part of the Church of Latter Day Saints. With lovely prose I was taken there and then, because Anne Weisgarber made me feel as if I was in this rugged area of Utah, in the winter of 1
Brandice
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was completely invested in The Glovemaker right off the bat. I found this historical fiction story interesting - it stayed interesting - and I was curious to see how things would play out.

The Glovemaker is set in the late 1880s in Utah. Deborah is anxiously awaiting the return of her husband, Samuel, from a work trip. He travels, near and far, fixing wagon wheels. Deborah, her husband’s stepbrother, Nels, and the other families living in the isolated town of Junction, are Mormon.

One winter n
Karen
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautiful novel set in the rugged canyon country of southern Utah and takes place in the winter of 1888.
A few Mormon families have moved to “The Junction” they do not practice all the ways of the church anymore but haven’t completely broken away.
This story was mostly told by Deborah, a Mormon wife waiting patiently for her traveling wheelwright husband to return home, and Nels.. the husbands stepbrother.
Some occurrences happen that make this very suspenseful, and that tackle their
Marialyce
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It takes a book such as this to make one realize what a very difficult life the American pioneers had living in uncharted harsh land that was isolated and remote.

In The Glovemaker by Ann Weisgarber, we are introduced to Deborah Tyler, a woman whose husband is a wheelwright, and also a Mormon. Because of their differing beliefs in the Mormon faith, they decided to move to an enclave consisting of seven families in a place they call Junction. Deborah's husband, Samuel, needs to travel with his occ
ABCme
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thank you Netgalley and Skyhorse Publishing for the ARC.

This is an intriguing chapter in Mormon history. One I knew nothing about and that kept me glued to the pages.

Utah Territory Mountains, 1888.
A man on the run after being charged with polygamy shelters in the tiny settlement of Junction before moving on to the safe haven of Floral Ranch.
A marshall chasing him also ends up in Junction.
The settlement consists of a few families who have left Carson in disagreement over dogma, while still practi
Melissa Crytzer Fry
Good historical fiction illuminates the past through story. And with Ann Weisgarber’s precise, pitch-perfect writing, you’re in for quite a tale about members of the Mormon community in rugged 1888 Utah; they are believers, but with their own caveats about the church.

I had no idea about the historic events at Mountain Meadows and very little understanding of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ faith; while there is a strong Mormon presence in Arizona, and I lived on a street in down
Lou
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Glovemaker is a fine example of a meticulously researched and exquisitely characterised work of historical fiction. The plot unfurls slowly and steadily as you read, and both the beautifully drawn characters and the plot are vividly engaging; I felt as though I was there with them and not just looking from the outside in. It is, however, a rather bleak and melancholy-infused story that gets under your skin, but the descriptions of nineteenth-century rural Utah and the townsfolk are appealing ...more
Tina
3.5 STARS

This is the first book I've read by the author Ann Weisgarber. I must say I was not disappointed with her writing. She writes a poignant and fascinating story. You can envision the rough and rugged landscape of Utah in the late 1880's that she writes about.

The story is told by two characters. Both are living in a very small Mormon settlement in Utah in the late 1880's. Deborah, has been left alone for many months as her husband (Samuel) is a wheelwright and travels the countryside to fi
Zoe
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Unnerving, atmospheric, and insightful!

The Glovemaker is an immersive tale that sweeps you away to the harsh territory of canyon country, Southern Utah during the late 1880s when the strict rules and practice of polygamy by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints prompted even some of their most faithful followers to drift away to remote areas and create new, smaller communities of their own.

The prose is concise and expressive. The characters are hardy, resourceful, isolated, and torment
Cathrine ☯️
3.5 ★
I liked it, sometimes more, then less, at different points in the journey.
Beadyjan
Having read and loved the authors two previous books I have waited and anticipated a new title by her for quite some time. So I was eager to read this and very fortunate to receive an advance copy.

I quite simply LOVED it.

The author has the amazing skill of creating, convincing characters whose skin you can slip inside for the duration of the book. Strong, credible women who live a life so different to my own it would seem virtually impossible to relate to them. Yet the women she creates have l
Karen Kay
I received this from netgalley.com in exchange for a review.

Deborah Tyler waits for her husband, Samuel, to return home from his travels as a wheelwright. It is now the depths of winter, Samuel is weeks overdue, and Deborah is getting worried. When a desperate stranger who is pursued by a Federal Marshal shows up on her doorstep seeking refuge, it sets in motion a chain of events that will turn her life upside down.

Good story. The weather and the bleakness of living conditions plays a vital pa
Steven Davis
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book- one of the best historical novels I've read. I finished this in several long gulps and have been thinking about it ever since. The time and place are so exquisitely wrought by the author, and she brings her characters to life with ringing clarity. This made me rethink what I thought I knew about Mormon communities, but more than that, it made me pause in wonder at the complexity and beauty of human relations. It's a very emotional and deeply affecting story -- and th ...more
Eva
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5* --> 5*

In the late 1880’s, the federal government of America declared polygamy a felony. Bad news for the Mormons then. Men with multiple wives suddenly found themselves on the wrong side of the law and with warrants out for their arrest, many fled not just to save themselves but also to protect their families.

In the small town of Junction, we meet Deborah. She is the odd one out in this town. Married, but to a husband who is away for months at a time and with no children, the other villa
Deanne Patterson
This is my first read by this author. The book's historical details were finely researched by the author. The characters are very realistic in speech and mannerisms of the Mormons which is what the main character along with seven other families in this desolate Utah territory in the winter of 1888 are.
The book was raw,very realistic and bleak. It kept my attention fully riveted on the pages. I enjoyed learning about the Mormons and some of their beliefs and practices in nineteenth-century rural
Erin
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley for an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review

This was a bit of a slow start in the beginning and I just couldn't help but feel that the storyline would have been much more interesting if it was a short story rather than a full length novel. Crazy idea, right? Not enough action for my tastes but I did find the historical record interesting.
Jeanette
This book in the majority of pages was 4 star. But somehow in the last 50 pages in trying to tie up the Mormon history and comparisons to past events in which Latter Day Saints were pivotal- it just lost an entire star for me. It took you too far from Deborah and her crisis thoughts when nursing the Marshall. After that point in the book? I felt I didn't "lose" the core of Deborah and her waiting angst and onus to the Mormon connections to motives in her life- but that it became too many other c ...more
Kathy
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1880's Utah, remote homesteads of Mormons - The daily living under threat from U.S. Marshalls is poignantly presented in accounts from two major characters in the account.
I found it interesting.
First reading of this author. She succeeds in portraying the hardships of a young woman living alone in a small cabin with nearest neighbors some distance whose husband travels to make his living as a wheelwright. Her fears and caution are evident when having to answer the door to strangers.
Rebecca Rosenberg
The gloves say it all... This is a slice of American History that most of us have no idea about unless you are Morman, and then, maybe not even then. What does it feel like for Deborah to grow up as a Latter Day Saint, the daughter of the second wife, when her father prefers the company of his new family? What does it do to her faith in everything she was raised to believe?

Ann Weisberger combines the deep questions of faith, religion and spirituality with a thriller and mystery. I can't remembe
Jessica McCann
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful book from Ann Weisgarber. She is now 3 for 3, in my opinion. While each of her novels are a bit different, they all feature resilient women in harsh conditions. Ann has a unique talent for understanding the human psyche – especially when it comes to love, family, survival and our tendency to rationalize our actions to fit the outcomes we want or believe we need. Her characters are not perfect. They’re real. They are endearing. And that is what makes her stories so powerful.
Erin
Find this and other reviews at: http://historicalfictionreader.blogsp...

The Glovemaker marks my first encounter with the work of Ann Weisgarber and I can’t say I’m disappointed with my experience. Though a little slow for my liking, the novel delves into some complex subject matter and I liked how it made me think about the characters and the issues that shape them.

Deborah Tyler is a woman of faith who questions both the traditions of her community and those who persecute her fellows for the pra
Ygraine
in premise, the glovemaker is a taut, compelling, emotionally dimensional glimpse into life at the peripheries of the church of latter day saints, life in a utah settlement in the late nineteenth century, life lived under the scrutiny of the law, the church and one's peers. weisgarber presents the historical friction between the 'gentile' law prohibiting plural marriage, and the scriptural endorsement of having many wives and multiple families, and the greater social mistrust between saints and ...more
Jypsy
The Glovemaker was not what I expected. I'm not familiar with the Mormon faith, and for this reason, I couldn't connect with this story. I believe anyone familiar with the Mormon faith will enjoy this book. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Diane Dunn
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Such a great read, so sad to have finished it! I’ve lived with Deborah and Nels for the past week, feel like I know them. The hardships of those pioneering families, originally drawn by the promise of a better life by Brigham Young and his followers to inhospitable places. A stranger who passes through their community turns their lives upside down in more ways than one.
Amie's Book Reviews
THE GLOVEMAKER is a story that takes place in the winter of 1888 deep in a remote valley in Utah. This valley is home to a tiny town known as "Junction." It's residents are all Saints (as in the Latter Day variety).

This town is home to only seven families, all of them having drifted away from the strict rules of the church, and most of them did not agree with the practice of polygamy.

This book is based on a real life village and real life families, so it is history mixed with a giant dose of f
Annette
The style of writing is engaging, but for me it was more of the storyline that wasn’t grasping for me. And this is due to personal preferences. Before requesting this book, I was hesitant if this was something I wanted to read. And it got confirmed that this was not a book for me due to the storyline.
RoseMary Achey
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting history of the Church of Latter Day Saints during the late 1880s. Sweet ending.
Sam Still Reading
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people looking for a quiet, but strong read
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: from the publisher
The Glovemaker by Ann Weisgarber doesn’t look any different from your regular novel, but this book punches well above its weight. It’s a quietly powerful novel with a simple premise – a woman is alone in a tiny town in the middle of winter when a stranger appears. It takes a very skilled writer to make this into an engrossing read that is both sensitive and strong, but Weisgarber has it in spades.

The story is set in the depths of winter in Utah Territory in a tiny town called Junction. (I stron
Brenda
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! 6 Stars! Love, love, loved this book. I am a historical fiction fan and was thrilled to read a unique story that didn't have a similar story line to any previous books I’ve read. This one especially struck home for several reason; I am a fairly new (within the last few years) resident to Utah and understand well the tight knit Mormon culture, polygamist (yes, hard to believe but they are still thriving there) and overall exclusions vastly felt by non Mormon citizens.

Ms. Weisgarber nailed i
Cathy Geha
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Glovemaker by Ann Weisgarber

When I reached a certain age my mother told me I must have beautiful leather gloves and she purchased them for me in black, navy and white...along with some driving gloves. As I read this book I thought about what it might be like to make gloves from scratch using leather tanned by my father keeping a book with measurements, snippets of leather and threads with people’s names beside them. My daughter now how my leather gloves and they are going strong. A good pair
  • Blackberry and Wild Rose
  • Mistress of the Ritz
  • The Trespass
  • A Measure of Light
  • The Jumping-Off Place
  • Anna of Kleve: The Princess in the Portrait (Six Tudor Queens, #4)
  • When Winter Comes
  • Dear George, Dear Mary: A Novel of George Washington's First Love
  • Death of an Eye (Eye of Isis #1)
  • The City of Ice (The Gates of the World, #2)
Ann is the author of "The Glovemaker," "The Promise," and "The Personal History of Rachel DuPree." She was nominated for the UK's Orange Prize, the Orange Award for New Writers, and the Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction. In the United States, she won the Stephen Turner Award for New Fiction and the Langum Prize for American Historical Fiction. She was shortlisted for the Ohioana Book Award ...more