Start by marking “For Such a Time as This: Hope and Forgiveness After the Charleston Massacre” as Want to Read:
For Such a Time as This: Hope and Forgiveness After the Charleston Massacre

For Such a Time as This: Hope and Forgiveness After the Charleston Massacre

The instant her phone rang, Reverend Sharon Risher sensed something was horribly wrong. Something had happened at Emanuel AME Church, the church of her youth in Charleston, South Carolina, and she knew her mother was likely in the church at Bible study. Even before she heard the news, her chaplain's instinct told her the awful truth: her mother was dead, along with two cou ...more
Published June 11th 2019 by Chalice Press

To ask other readers questions about For Such a Time as This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Such a Time as This

Start your review of For Such a Time as This: Hope and Forgiveness After the Charleston Massacre
Kayo
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness. Powerful book. Author gives such a wonderful testimony all through the book! Sorry that this terrible act happened to her family. This is a book everyone needs to read.

Thank you to author, publisher, and Netgalley for the chance to read this book. While I got the book for free, it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.
Kasey Giard
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I heard about FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS, I knew I needed to read it. I remember hearing about the shooting in Charleston and feeling deeply disturbed at the boldness and actions of the killer. Rev. Risher tells the story of her family and her journey through grief toward healing with courage and very straight talk. This isn’t a flowery, feel-good story. It’s raw and real, full of struggle, humanity, and faith.

Risher wades into political waters as she describes her personal evolution into an a
Robert D. Cornwall
On June 17, 2015, a young White Supremacist named Dylan Roof visited a Bible study at Emmanuel AME Church in Charleston, SC. He was invited to participate in the study, but when the group stood to pray, he pulled out a gun and began shooting. Before he finished shooting the gathered members of this study group nine people were dead, including the pastor. Among the dead was Ethel Lance. "For Such a Time Like This" is in part her story, but it is more than that.

The author of this book, the Rev. S
Kristy
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this book, the Rev. Sharon Risher opens up her life to the reader. She shares stories of her childhood, her journey with the church, and the powerful presence of her mother, Mrs. Ethel Lee Lance. She also shares the unbearable experience of finding out that her mother was one of the nine people killed by a white supremacist in their Charleston church on June 17, 2015. This is not an easy book to read, especially when unthinkable acts of gun violence and racism continue to happen in our countr ...more
Michelle
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So grateful that Rev. Sharon Risher put her honest, painful, tearful, agonizing, heartfelt, loving and moving feelings and words on paper, for sharing her truth and following her heart where she knew she will make the most change. Her words and actions gave me much depth in the facts around the “Emanuel Nine” deaths by gun violence, and horrific insight into the racism that spurred this horrific slaughter of innocent gun violence victims in a beloved, historic black church in Charleston.

I am gr
Angela Payne
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love reading biographies and memoirs and this book by Reverend Sharon Risher was an absolute pleasure to read. As she takes the reader back to the devastation of a shooting in Charleston a few years back when a white man killed nine African American people during a Wednesday night Bible study, her raw emotions and her journey of faith and forgiveness is expressed in every page. Such a powerful read that challenged me on deep topics like gun control laws, racism and how I can make effective cha ...more
Kris Eggert
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m a gun violence prevention activist and a pastor, so I was looking forward to reading Rev Risher’s book. It is an intimate look into her family’s lives from her childhood to the Mother Immanuel shootings and the years that came after. She doesn’t back away from her own personal struggles, strained family relationships or from the difficult process of forgiving her mothers killer. Her honesty is compelling. Her strength in being an accidental activist is inspiring.
Lynne
For as much as the author gets right, she is incorrect in her using the term "Sikh Muslim"on page 70....Sikhs are not Muslims.

On page 114 the author mentions Bria Smith of Milwaukee...Ms. Smith is a teen age activist who is a speaker and up comer in several organizations...so why haven't I heard of her? Is our local media (TV, radio, newspapers) ignoring her?? What else are we not hearing about and from whom have we not heard?

Julia
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
The shooting at Emmanuel AME Church in Charleston reverberated through the world. This very personal perspective from the daughter of one of the victims was striking and powerful to read. This book was real and raw, with a moving message about racism, forgiveness and activism. I love reading memoirs and true life stories, and this one was no exception. Very well done!
Heather
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good book! Fair warning you will cry during parts of this book! However it is worth it.
TJ
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ministry
Torn about this book. Think the author wrote this book as a type of therapy and to explain her side of the story. Some insights but not what I was looking for
Paul
Jun 15, 2020 added it
“I haven’t gotten used to it, and I never want to, either. Every time there’s another mass shooting, it takes me back to the night Momma was shot. Every... single... time.”
Bethany
Aug 20, 2019
Terri
Aug 26, 2019

• White Too Long: The Legacy of White Supremacy in American Christianity
  • Fängelseindustrin (Gulag-arkipelagen, #1)
  • Be the Bridge: Pursuing God's Heart for Racial Reconciliation
  • Fight like a Mother: How a Grassroots Movement Took on the Gun Lobby and Why Women Will Change the World
  • Agent Running in the Field
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11
  • The God Who Sees: Immigrants, the Bible, and the Journey to Belong
  • The Winemaker's Wife
  • The Yellow House
  • Go Away, Dark Night
  • I Can't Wait
  • The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)
  • Get Out of Your Head: Stopping the Spiral of Toxic Thoughts
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Reputation
  • The Daughter's Tale
  • Spies of the Midnight Sun: A True Story of WWII Heroes (World War Two Series Book 3)

News & Interviews