Start by marking “Everything Inside” as Want to Read:
Everything Inside

Everything Inside

From the internationally acclaimed, best-selling author of Brother, I'm Dying, a collection of vividly imagined stories about community, family, and love.

Published August 27th 2019 by Knopf Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Everything Inside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything Inside

Start your review of Everything Inside
Diane S ☔
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lor-2019
I just adore Danticat and her writing. She zeroes in on those torn between Haiti and their homes in the US. Families and death, scars inside or out, living with what they've seen in the past or experienced in the present when visiting Haiti. Things that have changed their lives, in big or small ways. Emotions they carry inside themselves.

Eight stories and I loved them all. Some were more intense than others, but many seem to hinge on a decision that they either make on the spot or have made in
BookOfCinz
Updated October 2019
Everything Inside is the BookOfCinz Book Club pick for October and the first short stories collection we have ever read. In re-reading this collection I feel in love with all the characters and their stories- definitely a must read!

August 2019
Everything Inside is a strong collection of stories filled with complex characters, all dealing with major issues, trying to navigate life with Haiti being sometimes at the center of the narrative. I am such a fan of Danticat's
Dan
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I pick up an Edwidge Danticat book to dive deeply into quiet, painful emotions endured bravely and this latest collection delivers on that expectation marvelously. Loss and reconciliation haunt every page, and while not as gut-wrenching as, say, her memoir Brother, I'm Dying, the eight stories presented here all leave you wounded in the best possible way.

Danticat's true genius is in the way she hold back information without it feeling like a gimmick. This technique is at its best in what is
Anna Luce

“The difference between her and them was as stark as the gulf between those who’d escaped a catastrophe unscathed and others who’d been forever mutilated by it.”

This was such a wonderful and poignant collection of short stories.
In a interview on LitHub Edwige Danticat said that one of the reasons why she loves the short story form is that it allows her “to magnify smaller moments and to linger on these small epiphanies in the smaller interactions that mean so much”, and indeed each
Will
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
4.5 - Nearly perfect.
kelly
I've said this and I'll say it again: short story collections are usually hit or miss for me. Although I love the genre, I always end up liking some, none, or most of the stories therein. This collection is an exception to the "some, none, and most" rule, as every single story here is a literary achievement.

I've read just about everything Edwidge Danticat has written, from "Krik? Krak!" to "The Dew Breaker" to "Breathe, Eyes, Memory" and everything in between. "Everything Inside"is a wonderful
Beverly
thoughts coming shortly
Barbara
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been a devotee of Edwidge Danticat since I met her at a workshop for teachers at the Haitian embassy in Washington, DC in the 1990’s. Her writing has power, and grace, and provides deep insight into the experiences of the Haitian Diaspora, as well as into life in Haiti. This is Edwidge Danticat’s first collection of short stories. Seven of the eight stories have been previously published, some in different versions with different titles. Nevertheless, I found this to be a collection in ...more
Gwenn Mangine
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I preordered this book because I was so anxious to read something new by Danticat. I love the observations she makes on Haiti and the Haitian Diaspora.

I feel the writing is impeccable and deserves 5 stars. That being said, short stories are not my favorite genre. That's just a personal thing because I feel like just as I am starting to relate to the characters, the story is over. I guess I just find myself wanting more. And this was no exception. I wanted to know more about what happened in each
Vanya
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Short stories and I have never found the best footing in our relationship mostly because of my own discomfort with the genre. I have often wondered why that is. The answer that has surfaced from my hazy consciousness has always been the same - my supposed inadequacy at grasping narratives that leave a lot to the reader’s imagination, that skip past details to arrive at the crux, and that end too soon for me to enjoy an immersive experience. Despite these failings (all mine), I set out to ...more
Andree Miller
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. Edwidge's writing primarily focuses on the underdog and the marginalized and how those stories intersect with the rest of us. Because sometimes we are the underdogs and marginalized. You see yourself in her writing.
This is a collection of short stories where all of the characters are Haitian or Haitian-American. They remember where they came from and what they aspire to be. There's hardship, lots of hardship because that seems to be the plight of the Haitian no matter where
Lillian
In eight searingly emotional stories, with eloquent prose, Edwidge Danticat explores complexities of the Haitian diaspora that is forced time and again to find love in harsh circumstances. A diaspora seeking human connection through all aspects of life, which is not confined to Haiti but a universal need as well.
The final story titled Without Inspection will break your heart.
Never Without a Book
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Writing in beautiful and elegant language, Edwidge Danticat’s new collection, Everything Inside, is an intimate and moving eight-story collection that centers on love, lost, struggles and the experiences of women.

With each story Danticat presents characters and situations that will grip you into another facet of the lives, hopes, dreams, and realities of women in and from Haiti. Her perfect pacing and seamless narrative make each character’s destiny seem inevitable. I promise your heart won’t
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything Inside by Edwidge Danticat is a very highly recommended collection of eight short stories. All of the characters are either Haitian or have ties to Haiti and are set in locales from Miami and Port-au-Prince to a small unnamed Caribbean country.

Danicat is a natural, lyrical story teller and the writing in Everything Inside is beautiful. The complicated lives of people and their emotional upheavals, tragic events, and unexpected occurrences are keenly observed. Her characters handle
Edna Desir
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I first started reading Edwidge Danticat's short stories in The New Yorker magazine in 1999. The stories in this gorgeous collection are poignant, lyrical, and some heartbreaking. Everything you expect from Danticat with the added nuance of age. Stunningly beautiful stories. Each one took my breath away.
Marcos
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The most heartbreaking work I've read yet this year- Edwidge Danticat has done it again in making me, the reader, feel as if I just witnessed the lives of the vivid characters that pervade this short-story collection. Weaving stories set in Brooklyn, Miami and Haiti- Ms. Danticat continues to write about the complexities of Haitian life in the 21st century: full of poverty, forced sex work, and harrowing moments that are nothing next to heartbreaking. "Dosas" is the story of Elsie and Blaise, ...more
Matthew
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

I’m not ashamed to admit I’m afraid of death. It’s a fear that’s been bubbling for years, yet over the course of the last 18+ months it’s perpetuated to the point of overflow (and subsequent therapy sessions). I’m no longer young. I’m now at that age where a friend passing is almost as common as that of a parent. What’s more, I’ve had my share of medical issues, even despite being considered relatively healthy. The fact I married a physician, whose expert knowledge is so resonant I’ve
Larry Olson
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful, imaginative storytelling that’s heart-gripping.
Jenna
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(#partner @aaknopf) • Everything Inside by Edwidge Danticat is an absolutely stunning short story collection. I like every single story. Every one! All of them! I’m pretty sure this is the first time where not a single story has been boring or weird or meh.

Danticat is Haitian-American, as are most of her characters. The story settings range from New York to Miami and Port-au-Prince to an unnamed Caribbean island. Many of the stories are from the perspective of an immigrant.

I found Danticat’s
Evelyn
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
The eight short stories are beautifully written, intense, and emotionally absorbing. The lives of characters are disrupted by their ties to Haiti and time spent in the United States. My favorite story was “Sunrise, Sunset.”
Sydelle
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ms Danticat always makes me nostalgic for my island home. The taste, the smells, the little cultural feelings and responses literally leapt off the pages and wrapped me in a sensation as delectable as my dad’s cooking or playing outside. Didn’t want the stories to end. My favorite in the collection was Sunrise, Sunset.
Whether you’re an island girl or not, you get a glimpse into the lives and thoughts of people who call outside of the US home.
Great read.
Barbara Nutting
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not what I was expecting, but excellent writing nevertheless. Didn’t realize this was a book of short stories when I ordered it from the library. Would rather have seen Seven Stories as a complete novel.

Without Inspection was a great look at immigration - these people are not coming to Miami on a Carnival Cruise, they are swimming for their lives. Same at the wall - no limo ride from Guatemala - doesn’t Trump realize this? Stupid question!

I have read most of Ms Danticat’s writing and I wonder
Karima
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I have read all of Danticat's book (most memorable being KRIK KRAK and CLAIRE OF THE SEA LIGHT) and been very moved by all, except this one. It has all the same themes: displacement, love, loss, extreme poverty, betrayal, diaspora, political persecution, all told in her uncluttered, cutting-to-the-bone style.
But....but, the characters didn't move me, didn't get under my skin, as in her other books.
I struggle with giving this acclaimed writer only three stars, instead of the full-force of a
Kelley
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
These stories are set in worlds wildly foreign to me. But they are so rich with the pain and joy and fear and hope universal to humanity that I recognized every person in them, as an old friend or a family member or even as a reflection of myself.

My friend has been telling me to read one of Danticat’s books for months. I kept forgetting or bumping other things ahead for one reason or another. But this green cover called me over to the new books shelf and when I saw her name it felt like destiny.
Amanda
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
There was nothing particularly wrong with Everything Inside, but nothing particularly right with it either. It was (and still is) hard to put my finger on, but there was just something of Danticat's typical magic missing from this text. In particular, the endings of many of the stories included in this collection seemed to trail off into vague murmurs as opposed to the intrepid conclusions I'm so used to coming from Danticat.

Though it's difficult to identify favorites in a collection that felt
Phi Beta Kappa Authors
Edwidge Danticat
ΦBK, Barnard College, 1990
Author

From the publisher: Rich with hard-won wisdom and humanity, set in locales from Miami and Port-au-Prince to a small unnamed country in the Caribbean and beyond, Everything Inside is at once wide in scope and intimate, as it explores the forces that pull us together, or drive us apart, sometimes in the same searing instant.

In these eight powerful, emotionally absorbing stories, a romance unexpectedly sparks between two wounded friends; a marriage
Ahaaha4
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I began reading Everything Inside because I adore Edwidge Danticat’s writing style. I didn’t realize at first that it was a collection of short stories. While I am not a fan of short stories I continued reading until the end and am glad I did. This collection of stories is about family, raw emotions, love, trust, friendship, hardship all very difficult subjects. It is about Haitian immigrants who found their way to Miami. Though all the stories wrenched at my heart the one that tugged the ...more
Sharon
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
This was a very interesting read. The book consists of eight short stories with settings in Haiti as well as the United States. I felt that some of the stories had a touch of magical realism that made the stories delightful. These stories ranged in themes from betrayal, to loss, to love. Although I did not find all the endings satisfying, as I said earlier I still found the stories enjoyable. 3.5 stars.
Susan Edgar-Lee
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The only thing I can think of that might be a reason to not read this is if you’re not interested in stories about Haitians. Otherwise, you’ve got to love it. It’s short, sweet and holds together. Nice literary images. Original stories with well sketched out characters.
Ming
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Each of the 8 stories is distinct and different from the others. I liked "Without Inspection" and "Seven Stories" the most.

I think Danticat's writing and storytelling are better in a novel-length form. Short stories have so little room to do so much.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Water Dancer
  • The Man Who Saw Everything
  • Three Flames
  • Maggie Brown & Others: Stories
Edwidge Danticat was born in Haiti and moved to the United States when she was twelve. She is the author of several books, including Breath, Eyes, Memory, an Oprah Book Club selection; Krik? Krak!, a National Book Award finalist; and The Farming of Bones, an American Book Award winner. She is also the editor of The Butterfly's Way: Voices from the Haitian Dyaspora in the United States and The ...more
“There are loves that outlive lovers.” 0 likes