Start by marking “Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)” as Want to Read:
Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)

Crowfall

(Raven's Mark #3)

In the third gritty installment of the Raven's Mark series, Blackwing Captain Ryhalt Galharrow finds that all power comes with a price...

A sorcerous cataclysm has hit the Range, the final defensive line between the republic and the immortal Deep Kings.

Tormenting red rains sweep the land, new monstrosities feed on fear in the darkness, and the power of the Nameless, the god
Published July 2nd 2019 by Ace Books (first published June 27th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Crowfall, please sign up.
AtomicRed There's no preface with the plot details but the narration includes a who's who and a what's what when each character/event gets reintroduced. …moreThere's no preface with the plot details but the narration includes a who's who and a what's what when each character/event gets reintroduced. (less)

Start your review of Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
Sean Barrs
Crowfall provides a spectacularly epic conclusion to a trilogy that has the potential haunt your nightmares in its creepiness; it’s so dark, so bleak and so wonderfully written. Everything is brought together here perfectly, a very clever ending indeed!

And I must admit, I’m pleasantly surprised. Going into this I felt that there was a little too much to conclude in just one book, but it all slots together. Ed McDonald demonstrates his ability for planning as he delivers the final strokes of the
James Tivendale
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: freecopy, fantasy
"Another Heart of the Void? The sky is shattered, the rain sends men mad. Even the geese are trying to eat us. What the fuck do we have to gain by unleashing that kind of power again?"

I received an advanced reading copy of Crowfall in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank Ed McDonald and Ace Books for the opportunity. May contain spoilers for Ravencry.

Crowfall is an engaging and thrilling final chapter to an excellent dark fantasy trilogy. I have seen the Raven's Mark series ref
Emma
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Galharrow has been monstrously changed by his time in the Misery; underneath the transformation, a desperate plan to make himself powerful enough to alter the future. And he’s not the only one. Time has passed and people are not who he remembers them to be. Everyone has their own hopes, their own schemes, their own… betrayals? The Deep Kings are coming. And now a new weapon has been found, strong enough to crack open the skies once again. But who in this world can be trusted to use it?

‘[I] still
Peter McLean
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

They say that misery loves company, and in the Misery you're never alone. Especially If you're Backwing Captain Ryhalt Galharrow, haunted by the bitter ghosts of the past.

This book is raw and emotional in a way I didn't expect. It's a very different book to its predecessors, yet is still an almost inevitable conclusion to Galharrow's character arc. Watching him fall apart through his own narrative brings a fresh edge of pain to the storytelling.

This series is ultimately a story of love and remo
Lukasz
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-fantasy
There is no mistaking the distinctive voice of Ed McDonald and his protagonist - Ryhalt Galharrow, a captain of shadowy Blackwings. His story ends here*. If you thought that Ryhalt went through hell, and nothing worse would happen to him, you were wrong.

Crowfall concludes Raven’s Mark trilogy, and it’s epic. Not only does it reveal schemes and treasons of various parts and characters, but it also riffs on the themes of belonging, love, honor, identity and the ability to find a home in hostile n
Adam
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When facing duress for long periods of time, sanity can be fleeting. It’s no stretch of the imagination to see how prisoners, hostages, or fugitives can be driven toward poor decision-making when lives are at stake. If the stakes are raised to apocalyptic levels, then any form of predictive behavior becomes unreliable. Enter: Ryhalt Galharrow. Savior of Valengrad. Captain on the Blackwings. Desolate madman. Ed McDonald’s previous novel Ravencry concluded with Ryhalt leaving Valengrad to go live ...more
Edward
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Very satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. Looking forward to seeing what Ed does next. RTC.
Justine
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: most-anticipated
Never alone.

All things must end, and the saga of Ryhalt Galharrow comes to a close with one magnificently striking and emotional conclusion. All the events of McDonald's Raven's Mark series have brought us to this moment, as the threat of the Deep Kings hovers like a black cloud about to release a cascade of poison rain upon the Misery and beyond. Galharrow stands alone against the storm, persevering in the face of failure and forging ahead when the world is set on relentlessly beating him down.
Shae
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Misery was not just twisted magic and polluted rock. It was spirits, and sky, and the endless pain of what it had been, what it had been made to do, and what it had become. And it responded to my call. - Ryhalt Galharrow, son of the Misery

And so my journey through the Misery comes to an end, this installment was an excellent conclusion to the Raven's Mark trilogy - 4.5/5 stars.

Some heavy themes run through this trilogy; loss, grief, regret, atonement and finally acceptance and transcendence.
Mike Everest Evans
The Good: Above and beyond the compelling characters and punchy plot, this is a book that keeps you guessing right up until the final page.

The Bad: As with Ravencry, Crowfall embarks on an entirely new direction to a destination that I hadn’t anticipated – some readers may dislike this, but I for one am happy to hop on the bandwagon.

The Ugly Truth: Crowfall takes everything you would expect of this book and tears it up right in front of you, before handing you something you would never have drea
kartik narayanan
Read the full review at my site Digital Amrit

Introduction
The Raven's Mark trilogy is a grim dark fantasy that has shades of Glen Cook's Black Company and Joe Abercrombie's First Law in it. It is at turns, weird, fantastic and riveting. I am a huge fan of the first two books - Blackwing & Ravencry. With Crowfall, Ed McDonald, brings this epic narrative to an end.

Characters
The characters and the world-building have been the stand-out features in this series and they continue to be in this concludi
Micperk
This was another difficult one to review, I've loved this series and this book did a good job of finishing it up. It took a bit for me to figure out why I wasn't as enthralled with this one as the previous two. I think the series should've been longer, for me it felt like this book was just pushing forward at breakneck speed to offer an ending to the story. Wasn't really any reveals or major details into the background of the nameless or the deep kings. From the beginning it felt like I knew exa ...more
Miriam Michalak
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! That was some fucking ride!!

Dark, monstrously brutal, visceral, grimmer than most grimdark novels but oh, the humanity. The wonderful, awful, beautiful, flawed humanity of the book. Hope in a dark world shines through and the ending was unexpected and really rather good :)

A fabulous end to a great series. Am already missing the Misery.

Steve
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Quite a conclusion to a fine trilogy. Enjoyed this in the Grimdark sense! Meaning the book isn’t filled with laughter and sunny days but gritty tension, bloodshed and a good vs. evil conflict where even the good side can’t be counted upon to act decently.
In this final episode we continue the tale of Captain Galharrow, our main POV, the guilt laden hero. He starts in a mostly self-imposed exile in the Misery, this tortured, fractured reality, the no-mans land between the conflicting forces in thi
Audrey
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here my journey in the misery will stop. I enjoyed the trilogy of Ed McDonald , the characters the world building and most of all the plot. The shifting side was pleasant too we don’t know who is the bad guy of the good people. But at the end of the book I nevertheless had a taste of not enough..however I will miss this old stubborn of Ryhalt and the Range.
4,5 stars
Mark
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

A great finale to a wonderful written series, well worth the time to read it. Highly recommended to all my good read friends.
Shree
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Damn! This is Some Great Stuff! You Should Try This!
And if you haven't read this series yet then you're wasting your time, literally.
Bogdan
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grimdark, fantasy
Yeah, just finished the series... anddd.... I`m not very happy!!!

The story was quite linear, no surprises, no risks involved, a lot of dialogues and (uninteresting) thinking (and this is on repeat) on the part of the main character and the list goes on...

There are some nice things, like the images involving some details of the story from the Art of War, or others details from the main character past, but overall, didn`t help a lot.

I wanted to give this one at least a four stars rating, but the t
Marielle
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-own
Best one in the series! Absolutely loved it!
A better ending than I'd expected...
Kristen
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full review is here on my blog!~

Everything is coming to a head in this final volume of The Raven's Mark series. That said, I'll try my level best not to spoil anything from the first two books for those of you who haven't read them.

But, I mean for those of you who haven't read them... go... go do that thing. :D

Things between the godlike Nameless and their nemeses, the also-rather-godlike Deep Kings are coming right to a head, and where 90 years earlier, Crowfoot detonated a weapon that created t
Blodeuedd Finland
The end. Oh no sadness! But then I do like a good trilogy. 3 books and that is it. Gotta love when yo can actually finish a series on time.

Right, so this world sucks. There is a crack in the sky, a place called Misery with things that will eat you. Acid rain. Evil kings and their minions waiting to attack. Yes, a shitty place that is going more shitty. A dark grey place.

Then we have Ryhalt who has been living in the misery for years now, and who has a plan. Ryhalt has kept on falling deeper and
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

To make a long story short, there are only a few authors who manage to successfully deliver a perfect trilogy in my books. They come once in a blue moon and leave an everlasting impression on you with their characters, their worlds, their ideas, and their prose. When I first came across Blackwing, my heart was stolen and sealed in a lockbox for Ed McDonald to do whatever he wishes with it. With Ravencry, he manipulated my emotions and broke me d
Jon Adams
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nailed it.
Koeur
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.7/5

Review: Wow, what awesome cover art.

The world building is what sets this novel apart from others in the genre. It is built around the characters in order to influence the direction of the story line. Very clever writing, as it also develops the characters in various ways as to be mesmerizing at times. This novel does not lack in creativity or poignancy. The distressed often have personal insights that are not only deeply appropriate for the scene but might churn the thoughts of the
Rob Hayes
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An adrenaline-fueled ending to a fantastic series. A truly desolately hopeful fantasy.

Crowfall is book 3 of Ed McDonald's debut series, Raven's Mark, and the final(?) journey of Ryhalt Galharrow. And what a journey it has been. Seeing the way Ed has developed the character across the trials and tribulations of these 3 books has been a pleasure, and the narrator Colin Mace should be applauded for bringing Galharrow to life in such a fantastic way.

Book 3 skips ahead a bit of time and we start with
J.L. Scritchfield
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Crowfall delivers.

McDonald manages to work a substantial amount of worldbuilding into his third book so that a number of the history questions I had were answered. Not all of them. This world feels ancient, and she hides her secrets well. I hope to learn more about her someday.

McDonald's writing (in Ryhalt's voice) continues strong throughout, and the philosophical journey the reader takes with Ryhalt over the series is impressive. From cranky man with a deathwish to cranky man with a...lifewish
Jeremy Jackson
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fulfilling conclusion to a bleak, beautiful, spectacularly written trilogy. Macdonald's world is pitch-black, horrifically eerie, but not without hope; it's immensely enjoyable besides. Well worth your time. ...more
RG
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re read this and so much better again. Love this series. Very good conclusion to this trilogy. I still think due to the uniqueness of the world book one was the strongest. I dont think this will be the last novel within this setting.
Chris
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
*copy from the publisher in exchange for a review*

Crowfall is the conclusion to Ed McDonald’s “Raven’s Mark” series. I’ve been a big fan of the series since the get-go. There’s something about the hard-bitten cynicism of (most of) the characters, the haut-feudal world run by gangs of squabbling, unknowable gods, and the twisted, broken border between them which makes for a compelling read. That compulsion is, of course, helped along by the well observed and convincing characterisation.

At the cen
Cameron Johnston
Grimdark with heart - an explosive, raw and very fitting conclusion to the Raven's Mark trilogy.

Years have passed since the end of book 2 and Galharrow has been changed in horrific ways from his time in the Misery. He has a plan, the Nameless have plans within plans, and The Deep Kings have their own plans set against all mankind in this adrenaline-fuelled end to the series.

The world is being torn apart, and dark magic and dreadful creatures abound - which is why it's such a joy to explore the m
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
  • We Are the Dead (The Last War, #1)
  • God of Broken Things (Age of Tyranny, #2)
  • Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1)
  • The Shadow Saint (The Black Iron Legacy, #2)
  • The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
  • The Traitor God (Age of Tyranny, #1)
  • A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)
  • The True Bastards (The Lot Lands, #2)
  • Bloodchild
  • Smoke and Stone (City of Sacrifice, #1)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • The House of Sacrifice (Empires of Dust #3)
  • The Gutter Prayer (The Black Iron Legacy, #1)
Ed McDonald is a UK born fantasy writer. He writes dark, fast paced, action fantasy with a focus on well developed characters.

Ed is a medieval historian and swordsman by training. He currently lives in London, UK.

Raven's Mark (3 books)
  • Blackwing (Raven's Mark, #1)
  • Ravencry (Raven's Mark #2)

News & Interviews

“Time will numb you to anything. There is nothing that a determined human being cannot come to cope with in time.” 0 likes
“Survive the world long enough and inevitably you will be replaced, cast down and despised.” 0 likes