Start by marking “All of Statistics: A Concise Course in Statistical Inference” as Want to Read:
All of Statistics: A Concise Course in Statistical Inference

All of Statistics: A Concise Course in Statistical Inference

Taken literally, the title "All of Statistics" is an exaggeration. But in spirit, the title is apt, as the book does cover a much broader range of topics than a typical introductory book on mathematical statistics. This book is for people who want to learn probability and statistics quickly. It is suitable for graduate or advanced undergraduate students in computer science ...more
Published September 17th 2004 by Springer (first published December 4th 2003)

Start your review of All of Statistics: A Concise Course in Statistical Inference
Amin Rashidbeigi
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Really good reference. Its probability and inference parts are awesome.
Michiel
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good reference on notions on probability, statistics and machine learning. Not ideal to learn the matter from scratch, but ideal to refresh and supplement your knowledge when you do a PhD.
Chris
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mathematics
Doesn't actually do what it says, but makes headway toward that goal.

If you want to learn about the chi-square, don't read Wikipedia. Read Wasserman.
Xinyu
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The perfect statistics book for me... ❤️
I now feel better equipped to read more stats books...
Mahdi Dibaiee
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dropped
Not a good one for getting started, very formal and less intuitive.
Hamish Seamus
May 08, 2020 marked it as backburner
Notes:
- The core problem in probability is "given a generating process, what does the output look like?"
- The core problem in statistics is "given some output, what does the generating process look like?"
- If A and B are disjoint events with non-zero probability, then they cannot be independent (because P(AB)=0, but P(A),P(B)>0). "Except in this special case, there is no way to judge independence by looking at the sets in a Venn diagram."
- Mistaking P(A|B) for P(B|A) is called the prosecutor's
Terran M
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
From the title, one expects this book to be comprehensive and encyclopedic, but I found the opposite to be the case. This is a very mathematical rapid-survey of statistics which does not explain how to actually do any of the things that a working engineer or scientist would need to do.

I think the audience of this book is "mathematicians who find books with more equations than text to be comfortable and easy to learn from, who also know nothing about statistics and want a quick survey of the fiel
Xingda Wang
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I learnt Statistics for 2 - 3 times in campus, but I still find this book is too hard, not suitable for beginner, some of the symbols in the theorem come from nowhere, and some of the definition needs further explanation. I can understand until chapter 7, but the symbols already beyond I can remember or understand.
Quazirfan
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was my first statistics book and I disliked the book since the author does a poor job explaining the details. If you are new to statistics without a lot of training in mathematics ANY other book would be better than this book.
Henry Cooksley
Jan 20, 2021 rated it liked it
A concise reference book for frequentist statistical practice up until the late 1990s or so.
afloatingpoint
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, mathematic
10/15/2015: So far, this is a really good book with comprehensive material, simple examples, rich problems, and most importantly easy to understand.

12/8/2015: I like everything about this book, except the title. It may receive some complaints about not discussing in depth some topics, but one can always go look up and read more on their topics of interest. Nonetheless, this is a very well written book!
Darin
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
The author states that he wrote the book to help get engineering students up to speed. The topics and depth are in line with what one would expect from a mathematical statistics book. It's a good book for finding out what is out there, but most discussions are too brief for most people to learn the material from this book. ...more
David
Aug 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
The material covered in this book is not covered in sufficient depth to understand it unless you have covered once already. That said this book is a great reference: collections of useful theorems and properties.
Sanjeev
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
A VERY difficult read and took some time for me to refresh my rusted knowledge of statistics.

My first pass was a browse through this. I look forward to many months of banging my head against this book.

I wish it came with an answer key but apparently, that costs extra.
Elise
Aug 07, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Great if you like statistics, painful if you don't... ...more
Ilknur
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: textbook
A must have
jg
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
A bit harsh for an introduction, requires mathematical maturity. Great reference though.
Mạnh Tài
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stat
Many formulas, little inspration.
Sasa
Apr 24, 2014
Nagasekhar Polepeddi
rated it did not like it
Jan 31, 2020

• Nonlinear Programming: 3rd Edition
  • Machine Learning
  • Understanding Analysis
  • Basic Human Anatomy: An Essential Visual Guide for Artists
  • Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance
  • How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling
  • The Mahabharata: A Modern Rendering, Vol. 1
  • The Arabian Nights
  • The Mahabharata: A Modern Rendering, Vol. 2
  • Siva: The Siva Purana Retold
  • The Bhagavata Purana (Clothbound)
  • A Book of Abstract Algebra

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Larry A. Wasserman is a Canadian statistician and a professor in the Department of Statistics and the Machine Learning Department at Carnegie Mellon University.

News & Interviews