Start by marking “Stephanie” as Want to Read:

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  1,515 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Reluctant to admit her addiction to alcohol and drugs, sixteen-year-old Stephanie finds it impossible to give up drinking and pills until she faces her problems in a hospital treatment program.
Published March 1st 1989 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Stephanie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stephanie

Melanie K. 5 King
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie by Jack Weyland is a book that tells about a rebellious young girl who finds how bad drugs and alcohol can be. Stephanie is a beautiful sixteen year old Mormon girl but Stephanie is living a double life. She is obedient, kind, and a good student in front of her parents. Stephanie's other life must be kept a secret. She drinks and parties with her friends and sometimes skips school to drink and use drugs. Stephanie must learn that what she's been doing is slowly killing her, hopefully s ...more
Dec 02, 2011 rated it liked it
I thought that this book had a good moral. I did not really connect to this book because i am not doing drugs and i don't have to go through rehab. I think that all teens should read this so they know the trouble they could get into and know that it is not easy to get back your life after you do try drugs. I thought it interesting that no one caught her for at least 4 or 5 years. I think that she would have been caught smoking pot in her house years before.
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie is a good kid she always gets straight A's and she is really good at listening to her mom and dad. Until she took the first drink, she went from being a good listener to a good liar she lied to her parents all the time. She went to parties when her mom and dad thought she was at a friends watching TV. She was the reason her life went from normal to upside down, and there was only one way to fix it, rehab.
Stephanie turned into this goofy drunk person who only wanted to party. She was al
Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~
I love how all of Jack Weyland's books have a moral, a serious issue that they specifically address. Many authors write to tell a story, and if they get a few morals in as well – great! But Brother Weyland is different. He writes to bring a serious issue to light, and to address and help to solve that issue, while still telling an amazing and enthralling story. In Stephanie that issue is drug & alcohol abuse and addiction, and it was fantastically written!

A full review is to come, so let it
Alysha Speer
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romantic, drug-use
This book is a good story to read if you know someone who has been on drugs, or was. Or if you were or are.
It's spiritual in places, and very hard to stop reading.
I was up late reading it more than one night.
Stephanie starts drinking when she's 12, then becomes a heavy drinker, and all the while lying to her parents, and still going to church.
Later she starts in crack and other drugs, and becomes a drug dealer herself.
Then her parents send her to a drug use place, and she stops using drugs.
Stephanne Stacey
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Again, I read this when I was the target group, but I do remember that I like it a great deal because she isn't the "normal Mormon". Neither was I. Not that I'm admitting to having these same problems, but that I didn't feel that I fit in and Stephanie helped me in that aspect. Same as Charly did in another of Jack Weyland's books.

There is still the great flaw in writing where the characters are missing individuality. They are seem to have the same voice, but say different things.

Unless you are
Megan Alton
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A few years ago my dad said he thought every teenage girl should read this book, I was surprised because my dad doesn't really read. I finally got around to it and I find that I agree with him. While this book is somewhat dated now, I did find it realistic and eye opening. I feel it could be a useful tool for parents will. My only complaint is that it seemed to lack some emotion especially since it deals with a girl going through such a big struggle.
Sep 25, 2009 rated it liked it
An OK attempt to draw attention to the very real challenges of a family member with drug or alcohol addictions, but really should be read more for its entertainment value. There is little of any real substance in it that might be of actual help to someone, and the characters are written without much depth. Nonetheless, it may serve to raise awareness, and to prompt discussion in LDS families, and for that reason alone it is worth reading.
Feb 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Ugh. Don't do drugs or your life will be terrible. There. Now you have read the book. So. Heavy. Handed. I am all about books that teach moral truths, and encourage positive lifestyle choices. I have a drug addicted brother, believe me I understand. However, this felt so much like a lecture. I hated it.
Sep 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: nobody
I was so bored when I read this book. I'm surprised I even finished it with the small attention span I had at 13. Stephanie wasn't a very relatable character. In retrospect I don't think Jack has a clue what it's like to be addicted to drugs or alcohol, only what it's like to be on the outside of addiction so he struggled to give the main character any real personality.
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book taught me a lot about self respect and confidence. Stephanie is a girl who gets into drugs and has to go to a rehab center and eventually stops with the drugs then she starts to go to church and learns more about the gosple and finds a boy and learns from him and teaches him about the gosple.
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Jack Weyland is known for writing books on subjects that some teens may feel uncomfortable talking to their parents or adults about, especially when it comes to admitting they have done something wrong. This is just another example of one of those books, and it gives an understanding perspective to those who struggle with addictions, and how they may be able to overcome them.
I felt this was one of Weyland's darker books, at least because of the subject matter. While reading it, I felt so weighed down and hopeless concerning the characters and their trials. Certainly a lesson in never getting involved with that part of life.
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I loved that no one gives up on Stephanie ... except for the people who were encouraging her to do the bad things in the first place. A wonderful, realistic story of healing and overcoming your past.
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book when I first read it as a teenager. I felt a kinship with the main character and I actually tried to get my parents to read it in the hopes that maybe they would understand what I was going through a little better
Aug 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jerica by: My mom
This book is about an LDS girl that is going behind her parents back by doing all kinds of bad drugs and drinks. She has been dating a guy that is now interested in her religion. She ends up in a rehab. This is an LDS romance fiction.
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
I read this one as a young woman. I remember at the time that I was willing to pick up anything that would not be depressing, my book options were minimal. I am not willing to post my opinion since I was pretty mindless until High School.
Feb 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a fabulous book about a teenage girl who had rebelled against the teachings of the church and her parents. It tells of her struggles through drug addiction and her return to the church. This was an eye-opener on what it takes to come back to the church after making mistakes in life.
Mar 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a way good book because it teaches how desperate teenagers can get when they get into the bad crowd, and get hooked on drugs and many other bad notie things. It made me see what NOT to do, so i can stay off the path of badness =D
Dec 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 13-and-up
Most Weyland books tend to be written to the purpose of some teen hardship. Because of this he usually deals with very real and very hard topics for teens. Teens need these issues discussed, some earlier then others. Stephanie deals with alcohol and drugs.
Aug 29, 2011 rated it liked it
It was hard for me to finish this book but once i got to the end i flat that reading Stephanie was a great remember there is always a chance for EVERYONE and to keep on hoping for the best no mater how dark life may get some one I know or for me.
Dec 08, 2009 rated it liked it
I am writing one review for all of the Jack Weyland reviews. Good church books for teenage girls. I am sure they are totally out dated now and most girls today would laugh at these stories. BUt I loved these romantic stories that incorporated the gospel.
Feb 16, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading about the parental challenges in this book and the coping strategies of dealing with a child's addictions.
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Kelsey Wilcox
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved it!
Dec 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good book
Maurisa Walker
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book so much that the pages are falling apart!
Dawn Wells
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Book was just okay. But the use of coping strategies in all aspects of life are good to learn.
Melissa Thomson
This was my first Jack Weyland book I read as a teenager. I loved his books.
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book for the longest time. I'm not sure what I find so captivating about it, but I own it and out of all of Jack Weyland's's my favorite.
  • Ariana: A Glimpse of Eternity (Ariana, #4)
  • First Love, Second Chances (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #5)
  • Forget Me Not (Timeless Moments, #2)
Jack Weyland is the best-selling author of young-adult fiction for the Latter-day Saint market. In fact, the modern genre of Latter-day Saint-themed popular fiction is one he is largely responsible for creating with his overwhelmingly popular novel Charly. His interest in fiction began with a correspondence course in creative writing taken during a summer at BYU where he was doing research work. S ...more
More about Jack Weyland...

Young Adult Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
  • Orphan Train Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
  • Period 8
    $6.74 $0.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Winter Prince (The Lion Hunters Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2