Start by marking “It's Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered” as Want to Read:

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  9,359 ratings  ·  1,128 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Lysa TerKeurst unveils her heart amid shattering circumstances and shows readers how to live assured when life doesn't turn out like they expected.

What do you do when God’s timing seems questionable, His lack of intervention hurtful, and His promises doubtful?

Life often looks so very different than we hoped or expected. Some events may
Audio CD
Published November 13th 2018 by Thomas Nelson on Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about It's Not Supposed to Be This Way, please sign up.
Jennifer Barns Yes, there are. At the end of each chapter, there is a section called "Going to the Well" that includes the following:
Remember (summary of main…more
Remember (summary of main points)
Receive (list of verses to look up for further reflection)
Reflect (questions for the reader and a prayer)(less)
Claire Borchert I feel like this book could be a blessing to anyone who is going through the valleys in their life.…moreI feel like this book could be a blessing to anyone who is going through the valleys in their life. (less)

·  9,359 ratings  ·  1,128 reviews

Start your review of It's Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered
Cara Putman
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book came exactly when I needed it, and I haven't stopped recommending it since. In It's Not Supposed to be This Way Lysa addresses the things and hurts that happen in our lives that leave us questioning where God has gone. The disappointment that comes from loving and following Him, obeying Him, and watching your world fall apart. And she challenges us to lean into Him in this space between two gardens and trust His heart. In the pages, she is vulnerable, focused, wise, and encouraging. I ...more
Monica
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If we live long enough, I think there are tough moments that come when most of us say, It's not supposed to be this way. We wonder why these things happen. The past few years, Lysa Terkeurst has faced some tough challenges which she shares in her new book, It's Not Supposed To Be This Way.

It's Not Supposed To Be This Way is Terkeurst's story of how she handled the hard things of the past few years and how turning to God helped her face them. This book is part memoir and part an inspirational
Rissa
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-favorites
While sitting the hospital gettig treatment this was just what I needed. So thank you.
Kimberly Dawn
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lysa TerKeurst is wonderful at sharing the hard-earned wisdom she has searched for and found while struggling with her own deeply painful, unexpected trials. She is a Christian writer, the answers she shares are of a spiritual and biblical nature.

Like the late Wayne Dyer, I believe there’s a spiritual solution to every problem. Lysa is very relatable and candid about her own struggles. She lovingly shares heart healing wisdom from the word of God. Lysa has a way of communicating these truths in
Christina Claypool
The whole world seems to know the circumstances which caused Lysa TerKeurst to write this book. An unfaithful husband and a life-threatening health-struggle give the author credibility in saying, "It's Not Supposed to Be This Way."
I have a faithful and loving husband today, but years ago, I lived through the betrayal and heartbreak created by an unfaithful spouse, too. Unless you have lived it, it really is virtually impossible to understand the soul-crushing heartache that ensues when your
Claire Johnson
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jesus
I know a lot of you are curious about this book, so here’s a rundown for you.

I was nervous that it was going to be a lot of Christian platitudes on struggling.....the thing is, it kind of is, but I didn’t hate it. I think I’m at a point where I need to hear it. For instance, “Don’t welcome hardness of heart as easiness of life.” Eeek. She also couples those by always saying she’s been there, she gets it. So she does it in a way that doesn’t make it seem like “platitudes” but truths that are to
Annette
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved several things about this book:
•The visual layout of the book. The "Going to the Well" sections at the end of each chapter. This section is a "recap" of what was taught in the chapter. There are remember points, Scriptures to read, deep questions, and a prayer. The subtitle pages are two pages in length in bold block print. Important quotes are set off by themselves in the chapters.
•The chapters at the end of the book: Epilogue gives an update on her marriage, an additional one on her
5 ! Such an incredible read! Thank you Lysa for being so honest and vulnerable with me. I loved this book so much and I’m so grateful that I got to do it as a bible study online. And I think this was my favorite of yours so far. What a blessing this was.
So every chapter I read I said.... “this is my FAVORITE chapter!” Wow just wow! This was right on time. And I came to the well every chapter willingly...sometimes crawling, pouring my heart out to God. It’s been a difficult season for me and my
Melissa
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit, this was a difficult book for me to read at this stage of my life. I appreciated so much this author's vulnerability to share the not so beautiful parts of her life in order to shine God's light and to help others.
It certainly helped me to see God's hand even in the crushing times.
I really liked how approachable Lysa TerKeurst’s voice was throughout this entire book. This is a book that will touch readers of all ages and situations in life. Not only did I love Lysa’s openness and all of her personal stories, I commend her for incorporating all the Bible verses and really pointing the reader to get into the Word and allow God to give them the strength they need.

I almost didn’t pick this book up because I guess I didn’t feel as though I “needed” a book on disappointments
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I have to say that this is the best book I have read of hers. I can somewhat relate, in my own way. Life is no picnic and doesn't always turn out the way you want. Hard times certainly hit us unexpectedly. This is her journey of faith through the hard times in her life. Faith! Trusting in God! Strength in between the two gardens of life. I would give this ten stars if I could. Powerful and will definitely look back to this to get me through.
Ronie
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've taken my time with this book because it felt like a letter from God for the time my husband and I are in right now. TerKeurst penned an amazing book with this one, and it has helped me so beautifully through this brutal time.
Liz Overberg
I'm not going to rate this book because I have some serious Catholic guilt that would come into play if I did, but I will tell you a little bit about what you might want to know about it if you are considering picking it up.

Lysa TerKeurst is a good writer. She's relatable. She has a sense of humor. She's grounded. She's bright. It's clear that a lot of serious thought, meditation, and prayer has gone into her writing. She's extremely self reflective and earnest.

Girl LOVES her some extended
Jessica
"God isn't ever going to forsake you, but He will go to great lengths to remake you."
Gah, this book. My words will not do the beauty or eloquence of the author's plight justice. Nothing would do it justice. TerKeurst is a voice for all women. She puts words to depths of pain and the human soul. A reader can trust every word she writes in this book because she has lived it, in fact lived through it while also writing this book.
I find interesting the way the chapters are written in real time. The
Joan
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The life Terkeurst was experiencing was certainly not the life she had planned. Serious abdominal issues and surgery, a marriage broken by betrayal, and then the diagnosis of breast cancer. She shares the lessons she is learning through the adversity. She is free with her raw pain but she is also free with her steadfast faith in God.

She is learning yet again to trust in God. “I forget,” she writes, “that this kind of trusting in God is often forged in the crucible of longsuffering.” (95)

The most
Heidi
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anybody who has wondered why God has allowed a certain situation, for anybody who has faced disappointment, or has wondered how their life turned out this way.

Lysa writes from a place of knowledge as she is in the trenches fighting a battle she would never have chosen and, yet, encourages the reader to keep fighting the good fight.
Ally.Always.Reads
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book and getting to talk about it with my ladies bible study.
Filled with love and information. I’ll definitely be revisiting this one!

At times, I felt like it was hard to relate to. She was talking about her struggles and I just had never experienced anything like that. But even so, I enjoyed her words and you can feel that God was speaking to her so that He can speak to all of us.
Bethany
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for Christmas and I had finished reading it by New Year's Eve. I couldn't put it down. There is no "band-aid" theology here. This book takes a very honest but ultimately hopeful look at the reality of suffering and pain in the Christian life.
Dorine
We used this DVD along with the study guide in our small study group. Lysa has a very calming voice and mannerisms that softly address issues many of us experience. This study has heart.
Amber Newman
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lysa gets it!

Lysa uses her own heartbreak, health diagnosis, and other disappointments to teach us effective biblical truths.

This book is for you. No matter how small or big your heartbreak, your loses, your failures, or disappointments.

I read this along with eight other women at my church. It was even more beneficial seeking advice and encouragement from others. I recommend watching the corresponding videos of Lysa’s Bible Study lessons (6 sessions) This can be an in depth study if you read
Kassi
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once and a while, you forget that you signed up for a book launch team, and then you receive a book at the exact time you need to receive it. I received an advanced copy of this book in return for my honest review.

This book arrived in the mail two days after we received word that we would be forced to move out of our house. We had done nothing wrong, but due to Hurricane Florence we would have to leave. That was kind of an "icing on the cake" moment for 2018. It has felt like one thing
Charlotte
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read just about all of Lysa TerKeursts' books before and this one spoke to me the most. I have been dealing with a few things in my life and thought nothing could get any worse, but I know God has put those obstacles in my life for a reason. A lot of people who I follow on social media like to show everything they have but never show what really happens in real life. We all have disappointments and we all struggle if not daily with things that goes on. This book hit the nail on the head ...more
Jen
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every single person at some point in their life, likely many times, will be faced with challenges that throw them for a loop. This book is designed to help you through those times, to help heal past hurts, to help you see past the difficulties and focus on God and his promises. Lysa is real and authentic, opening her pain and sharing her heart to help you heal yours. This book is raw, real, and a light for those walking in the darkness. Her authenticity in sharing her pain, to break down the ...more
Diane
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, truth
This is a hard one to review. I read this book to help others around me that are going through difficult times. TerKerurst is an engaging writer and I always appreciate her wisdom and charm; however, a lot of this book is repetitive and scattered. I'm personally happy to see that she and her husband have reconciled after publication but I feel this book is missing depth that she could've spoken to during her separation.
Linda
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, bible-study
Favorite for 2019. I will read again! Great insight into the tough times of life. I gained understanding, strength and comfort. Beautiful, honest writing. A must read if you’ve ever felt lost, heartbroken or overwhelmed by circumstances out of your control.
Jill
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
Lysa TerKeurst is one of my favorite Christian Living authors. This book is raw and emotional. She is so transparent and honest. I struggled with some extended family issues over the past couple of years, and this book was so encouraging. Highly recommended.

Rebekah McGee
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five +++ stars!! Every one needs to read this! So good. Did this as a book club and it was great for discussion. Lots of tools that I know I will reread again and again. Thank you Lysa for your vulnerability and wisdom!
Noel
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for those going trough hard times or times of change.
Varina Denman
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many passages in this book hit me right where I am. Great words, wise advice, transparency.
Aimee
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book should be read slowly so you can devour each word, each truth. Lysa is a gift, and has a gift with words.
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Please separate editions 6 19 Jul 02, 2019 08:31AM

• Keep Showing Up: How to Stay Crazy in Love When Your Love Drives You Crazy
  • Remember God
  • Hidden Joy in a Dark Corner: The Transforming Power of God's Story
  • The Next Right Thing: A Simple, Soulful Practice for Making Life Decisions
  • Everybody, Always: Becoming Love in a World Full of Setbacks and Difficult People
  • The Road Back to You: An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery
  • Sick of Me: from Transparency to Transformation
  • Rhythms of Renewal: Trading Stress and Anxiety for a Life of Peace and Purpose
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • Psalm 23 - Bible Study Book: The Shepherd with Me
  • It's Okay Not to Be Okay: Moving Forward One Day at a Time
  • You Are the Girl for the Job: Daring to Believe the God Who Calls You
  • Because of Bethlehem: Every Day a Christmas, Every Heart a Manger
  • Uninvited
  • Own Your Everyday:  Overcome the Pressure to Prove and Show Up for What You're Made to Do
  • Love Life Again: Finding Joy When Life Is Hard
  • Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World
  • Preach to Yourself: When Your Inner Critic Comes Calling, Talk Back with Truth
Lysa TerKeurst is president of Proverbs 31 Ministries and the New York Times best-selling author of Univited, The Best Yes, Unglued, Made to Crave, and 18 other books. Her newest book, It’s Not Supposed to be This Way, is scheduled for release in November of 2018. Lysa was recently awarded the Champions of Faith Author Award and has been published in multiple publications such as CNN and Fox News ...more
“What if disappointment is really the exact appointment your soul needs to radically encounter God?” 9 likes
“Sometimes to get your life back, you have to face the death of what you thought your life would look like.” 9 likes